solar showers (anyone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we used one

Hi,we used one in the South o France,had to position it in the shade or it got too hot!.One problem is finding something strong enough to hang it up on. We also made a portable shower using a Hozelock type garden spray fitted with a shower head [20 years ago]long before Hozelock came up with the idea.An excelent way of getting red hot water in the summer is to ALMOST fill a brown bottle ie-Cider,and place it on ths dashboard in the sun.

Comment

solar showers

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      I've read that the solar showers are ok, and if necessary can be filled by using hot water instead of waiting for them to heat up. But there are still the weight and hanging issues there to be overcome.

I bought a Flower Shower, it works by pressure alone. It's meant for watering/spraying gardens, so pretty reasonable as it doesn't have 'camping/caravanning' tags on...

Having just returned from a folk fest with no facilities, I can confirm that it works very well. We showered in the awning, behind my shower curtain, which hangs across one corner where the loo usually sits, out of the draughts.. (we used the loo lid to put the soap on!) I can confirm that 6 litres of water, half of cold water, half of nearly boiling water was the right temp and that did both of us!

No worries about where to hang it, it sits on the floor, next to the container you're going to stand in (in our case, one of the plastic cupboard shelves with microfibre cloth in the bottom to prevent slips.)

If you wanted to wash your hair as well, you'd need a whole container to yourself, but the shower head works really well and there's even a little shelf to put it on while you soap yourself! It has a hand held switch, so it shuts off automatically if you want to put it down. You simply hold it, press the lever and spray yourself with it!

Really really pleased with mine. I had previously tried it in the shower room at home and thought it was ok, but it was even better at the fest, and so welcome and refreshing!
      checked all over the net last night finding out about flower showers. It would seem a lot of folk have used this idea for an on site shower and are happy with it. Also Hozelock make car showers(Halfords £19.99) Porta showers(around £30+) and of course the flower shower(around £22) and guess what. They are all exactly the same item just badged differently. So because it's now called a porta shower it's more expensive(typical). So I went over to my local FOCUS DIY this morning and bought a flower shower for £22. I could have gone to my local HALFORDS but by the time I drove there I would have probably used £2 of petrol. My local garden centre had their own branded flower shower type thing for £12.99 looked about the same as the hozelock. But it didn't have the shower head attachment, just a wand(shame). I may do as you did and try it out in the safety of my own bathroom. Thanks for the tip.

Pam

Comment

showers for festivals

Sounds a great alternative to the old bowl of hot water and flannel 'lick and polish'.

Now, the question is, would one have to be a contortionist to use it in the tiny dome tent I was intending to take to the festival to throw my table and chairs in? LOL.

I guess buying a utility tent for storage / showers could be a solution. These are the 'hidden extras' one has to factor in when pricing up changing to posh camping ie using a campervan as compared to a little tent.
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
          Sounds a great alternative to the old bowl of hot water and flannel 'lick and polish'.

Now, the question is, would one have to be a contortionist to use it in the tiny dome tent I was intending to take to the festival to throw my table and chairs in? LOL.
          Depends how tiny, Sue. If you can stand up in it, then no problem. I have to say this is just a quicker alternative to the lick and polish method. You spray to get wet (standing in washing up bowl or similar container), turn it off, soap all over, turn on and hose yourself down. It is easier than the flannel method though - and a lot quicker in a draughty tent or awning!

Comment

lick and polish

Ho ho. One of the more dextrous skills required for said 'lick and polish' in a small motor home, is get one's feet done, using the fitted sink.

Found the solution for R20 owners - stand on the platform and lean over to put one's feet into the bowl, one at a time. Now isn't it good that the vans comes with such good blinds!!! Is also good exercise to keep those joints supple!!

But I must admit that the idea of a good hose down has a lot to commend it.

Comment

How about someone taking their jetwasher to a Meet - and as a "get-to-know-each-other" exercise, a communal open-air "jet-wash party" - that should break the ice!! :so happy:

Mike

Comment

jet wash party

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post
                How about someone taking their jetwasher to a Meet - and as a "get-to-know-each-other" exercise, a communal open-air "jet-wash party" - that should break the ice!! :so happy:

Mike

Laughed like a drain at this one! Thanks!

Comment

I've used a solar shower - the 20l Gelert black bag type.

To partially quote my Amazon review of it:
                  It's quite an effective budget shower for use while camping, especially wild-camping, in the summer. I pop mine on my Kangoo roof during the daytime, leaving it in the sun for as long as possible to warm up, then return to it for a quick shower in the early evening. I have no other means of heating water but find this gets very warm on a hot day (25 deg) in the sun.

Filling the bag is tricky - when fully-filled it's heavy and unwieldy to lug onto the roof so I half-fill before lifting and top it up with my 2-litre water bottles used also for refilling my jerrican.

The only drawback is that, while it's good for a warm trickle shower, it is useless for washing long, thick hair so this is something I have to forgo but - hey, I am camping and there are ample camp-sites available for anyone wanting full facilities and all mod cons!

If you're looking for a means of having a warm rinse-down at the end of the day and want to avoid camp-sites, then this is just what you need.

If you're not sure how effective it will be - leave it for a day in the sun and test it first in your garden, as I did!

Comment

Any photos of the operation, Karen?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post
                      Any photos of the operation, Karen?

Mike
                      I should add, for the benefit of the neighbours, it was tested fully-clothed!!!!

Comment

I have a solar shower bag of 15 ltrs that I hang up for when I return from kayaking. Just the other day I paddled from Beziers to Séte, 25 miles along the canal du midi and the water was really hot.

When I rinsed myself off I then drove away quick before I was reported to the police.

Comment

These solar showers sound good as lately I been to campsites where the showers have been a bit iffy.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerw8 View Post
                            These solar showers sound good as lately I been to campsites where the showers have been a bit iffy.
                            It's a nice option to have and doesn't take up too much room when packed away, but the showers would have to be pretty grim for me to use one instead, because it is a hassle. Not least because first thing in the morning in the UK you're not going to get much solar heating - I've always had to do the boil-the-kettle-and-fill-the shower routine, which takes a while and not to be done when half-asleep stumbling around a Handi first thing

I was at Ebury Hill C&CC for a few days last week and there were no toilets/showers, so the solar shower had to be used.
                            Neil

Comment

Yes I would only use mine if there were no showers at all for the same reason, Neil! And it's draughty in the awning or loo tent as well!

Comment

solar shower

Hmm. Suppose one could always take a watering can?

Back to our children's childhoods - playing in the paddling pool with watering cans.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X