Awning reduced in size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awning reduced in size

Now we have a caravan again, we are looking at awnings. We still have our VERY big awning from our last caravan, which gives us loads of space and is perfect for us in every way- except it is too long for our new caravan. The awning rail in this caravan is 963, meaning we need an awning that fits 950-975cm. Our existing awning is 1090.
    I have contacted a company that will reduce the awning in size, for £140, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in having it done. Does the awning look odd or is it not that noticeable?
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

My parents had their Dorena awning modified as their new Adria caravan is an odd size by UK standards. Think it was done by Attwools which is local to them but I'm not sure what the cost was.

I would think though, you could sell the big awning and then buy the correct one for your new van for little difference in outlay
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

To replace the awning for a new identical one of the right size would cost us upto £2000, it's an Isabella. we bought this one at an amazing price as a clearance item. On ebay, they are selling for approx. £500-£800. We are looking for a secondhand replacement in the classifieds but thought we'd also explore the option of reducing our existing one. The company I contacted was trio pair, recommended to us a few years ago but I have also been told of a company more local to us as well.
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

£2,000 for an awning!!?? Blimey!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          £2,000 for an awning!!?? Blimey!
          I know, this is a link to the current equivalent awning- way in excess of what we would pay for half a tent!

http://www.broadlane.co.uk/awnings/i...pt-awning-2015

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
            To replace the awning for a new identical one of the right size would cost us upto £2000, it's an Isabella. we bought this one at an amazing price as a clearance item. On ebay, they are selling for approx. £500-£800. We are looking for a secondhand replacement in the classifieds but thought we'd also explore the option of reducing our existing one. The company I contacted was trio pair, recommended to us a few years ago but I have also been told of a company more local to us as well.
            Wow that's an awful lot of money! I know its massive but blimey!

You could get a very nice inflatable awning for £600 ish.

Comment

In my experience, the altered ones never look quite right - and if you do later decide to sell it on it will be difficult to get rid of.

I'd sell the bigger one now and get a new one - maybe an inflatable one to make life easier, as Rob suggests?

Comment

We have listed the current awning on ebay, to judge its desirability really, so we have set the price high rather than set a reserve and we are continuing to look for a replacement.

Although the inflatable awnings look good, they are only porch awnings at the moment, whereas we would like a full awning again. We still have our porch awning to use in the mean time, so aren't desperate to make a decision. If our current awning sells straight away, at least that part of the decision is made for us!

Comment

If you go with the alteration idea, it may be worth asking Mudfords on petre street Sheffield
                  Not sure if they still do, but they used to do awning alterations.

Comment

We have listed the current awning on ebay, to judge its desirability really, so we have set the price high rather than set a reserve and we are continuing to look for a replacement.

Although the inflatable awnings look good, they are only porch awnings at the moment, whereas we would like a full awning again. We still have our porch awning to use in the mean time, so aren't desperate to make a decision. If our current awning sells straight away, at least that part of the decision is made for us!
                    My parents air awning is the full length of the van, not a porch

Comment

I haven't been able to find a true full awning, I thought the largest was 420cm but it seems Dorema are selling a new 520cm one, for £999. They are probably plenty big enough but we do like the enclosed feeling of a full awning compared to the flappy pole/sponge rear leg set up of porch awnings, which invariably seem to drop straight across a window
                      Last edited by glenw; 23-02-2015, 17:19.

Comment

I haven't been able to find a true full awning, I thought the largest was 420cm but it seems Dorema are selling a new 520cm one, for £999. They are probably plenty big enough but we do like the enclosed feeling of a full awning compared to the flappy pole/sponge rear leg set up of porch awnings, which invariably seem to drop straight across a window
                        I think my parents awning is the 520 but that's pretty much full length on their van. I hadnt realised they didn't do bigger sizes.

Comment

Just to update, ebay made the decision for us, the awning sold for more than we expected, and a friend who bought a caravan for the first time last year, and bought a decent porch awning from us at the time, has offered to sell it back to us as they have decide to use a seasonal pitch this year. It's not the full awning we wanted but it is an offer too good to pass and we can look into getting annexes if we want more awning room.
                          Roll on the end of the month, our first weekend away is booked

Comment

Sounds like a good solution, at least for now.

I wish we could get more camping in this year but circumstances are against us

Comment

A final update to this thread:- we used the porch awning whilst we were at Reighton recently and it worked a treat. The poles that drop down the van are perfectly spaced between windows so don't cause any issues, it's a brilliant fit. We were a little short of space, mainly in the colder evenings or when eating in the awning out of the wind but I took delivery of an absolute ebay bargain annexe last week that will increase our space dramatically. The only thing we noticed is the awning blown air heater outlet is outside the awning, so effectively pointless, but they are a pretty ineffective awning heater anyway so I'm not going to loose sleep about it.

Comment