X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nu Venture, Cleethorpes
    replied
    EX caravanners?.........

Hi all i like caz have had most things to camp in,Including a converted 56 seater coach,(lived in it for a year).. But i must admit to having a softspot for the c15, im on my fourth now,but its a New Venture mini coachbuilt,with everything i need, although, im also a Caravaner,(wash ya mouth out ) i cannot part with my Vanroyce, which offers much more room for two, i e when the wife come,s... so im a caravaner AND a Roma homer, well the other three were,The only downside is really, keeping three vehicles as we live in the sticks wifey, needs a car too...Keep on Vanning whatever ya have !! bye for now Bob.

Leave a comment:

• peterholden
    replied
    I have to own up to having a caravan when our boys were younger (they are now adult and don't holiday with us) I am glad that I do not tow, I once hurt my back whilst manouvering the caravan on holiday in France, the only comfortable place I could find to sit was the passenger seat in the car and it certainly cramped our style. I would not recommend a caravan to anyone, but if you must go down that route our first caravan was a freedom and the fibreglass shell seemed very strong. There are a lot of old ones about and they can be towed by almost any car.

Leave a comment:

• Caz
    replied
    Must admit I agree with Ian, an auto Mazda Bongo would tick your boxes. Older ones at reasonable prices come up often on E-bay.

Believe me (from experience), if you have back problems you really don't want all the bending down associated with hitching/unhitching and corner steady winding. Neither do you want to be bending and stretching, opening & closing even the easiest of trailer tents, let alone dealing with wet canvas.

Been there, got the T shirts - campervans rule, OK?

PS Motor Movers costs lots of money, involve even more bending down, and all they do is move the van - you still have all the hitching etc to do.
    Last edited by Caz; 27-11-2009, 12:44.

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    easy pitch trailer tent

hello jayjay, I realised awhile back what your problem was, I can offer two thoughts, first, a trailer tent might seem easy but they are a pain if they are wet, you have to dry them, and wet canvas is heavy. All they trailers I looked at need a fair effort to put up and assemble. Second thought - there is a dealer that imports secondhand japanese mazda campervans, they are automatic gearbox, I cant remember their name but they are sole importers and I am sure one of our forum chums will know, the point is they were relatively cheap. Hope this is of interest .
    Ian
    Originally posted by jayjay View Post
    Yes - I've had to think long and hard about this one!

I sold the camper as I was struggling to drive it as I have back probs. Most (or should I say all) of the campers I can afford are manual geared. Also, I thought originally that I would just keep the camper as a sole vehicle - which proved impossible and I had to keep my car as well. Knew it wouldn't be long before I was struggling financially to keep two vehicles on the road. The stress of driving a manual wasn't helping, and I was driving everywhere on full alert in case the little *b* broke down!

So if I keep my car (an automatic) I still need something to go away in as I can't bear the though of giving up camping altogether, although that's what everyone (i.e., my kids & friends) suggest....

Which is where a small, lightweight caravan comes in... and the Kip or similar fits the bill! And if I struggle to pitch it, I'll save up for a motor mover... Doesn't need an MOT or tax either, and no packing away if you want to go out for the day. Failing that, an easy pitch trailer tent...

I don't know if I'll be able to pitch it, tow it or anything, but I won't give up until I've tried! You know what they say - suck it and see!

It's just something I want to try out as an alternative to boring old s/c or b&b's which are my only other option!

Dithering - yes! But the only way to find out is to try it!!

No offence taken either of you! I know you were just teasing! LOL

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Yes - I've had to think long and hard about this one!

I sold the camper as I was struggling to drive it as I have back probs. Most (or should I say all) of the campers I can afford are manual geared. Also, I thought originally that I would just keep the camper as a sole vehicle - which proved impossible and I had to keep my car as well. Knew it wouldn't be long before I was struggling financially to keep two vehicles on the road. The stress of driving a manual wasn't helping, and I was driving everywhere on full alert in case the little *b* broke down!

So if I keep my car (an automatic) I still need something to go away in as I can't bear the though of giving up camping altogether, although that's what everyone (i.e., my kids & friends) suggest....

Which is where a small, lightweight caravan comes in... and the Kip or similar fits the bill! And if I struggle to pitch it, I'll save up for a motor mover... Doesn't need an MOT or tax either, and no packing away if you want to go out for the day. Failing that, an easy pitch trailer tent...

I don't know if I'll be able to pitch it, tow it or anything, but I won't give up until I've tried! You know what they say - suck it and see!

It's just something I want to try out as an alternative to boring old s/c or b&b's which are my only other option!

Dithering - yes! But the only way to find out is to try it!!

No offence taken either of you! I know you were just teasing! LOL

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    replied
    Perhaps on reflection my last post was a bit cruel jayjay - as Bryan says you've set you heart on a Kip. It was just that I thought I detected a slight ~~~~dither~~~~

Keith

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Food for thought jayjay just what Keith points out, I would much prefer a romahome to a caravan I have to pull behind me...........
    However you seem to be somewhat fixed on a Kip.........

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    replied
    Originally posted by jayjay View Post
    Which makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing in looking for a caravan to replace my little Roma!
    Just came across your post again jayjay.

I hadn't said anything before but I had wondered why you were changing to towing. The smallest caravan can be hard work when arriving at a site if the ground's a bit lumpy or sloping; even some trailer tents.

Not long ago we had 2 trailer tents ( - not both at the same time!). An Esterel folding caravan followed. The main reason I (the only driver) wanted to opt out of towing was not so much the setting up on site as the responsibility and stress of having a trailer (possibly wider than the car) behind me in the narrow lanes of, say, the Lake District - those stone walls. Or perhaps meeting a caravan coming the other way in a single-track lane - there are plenty of these leading to camp-sites. This never actually happened to me but I was often in situation where it could have. Sometimes I needed to reverse out of a side road having taken a wrong turn - much easier in a Roma!

Having said all that, I did a lot of caravanning when I was younger (and much less paranoid) and enjoyed every minute.

Have you tried driving a Berlingo? I think I could say that it suits me more than any other vehicle I've had. The Duo is my only vehicle. It's my car, picnic vehicle, caravan. and transport van. I've carried 8'x4' sheets of plywood; even a king-sized bed!! Great for guitars/ amps etc; all the facilities on a long distance gig.

I won't be going back to towing but don't let me put you off

Keith

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Originally posted by Caz View Post
    I've done everything - caravans from 9 to 20 feet, all sorts of tents, 5 berth motorhome, Combi Camp trailer tents, folding campers, campervans...

...Much more manageable on my own.
    Which makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing in looking for a caravan to replace my little Roma!

Leave a comment:

• Caz
    replied
    I've done everything - caravans from 9 to 20 feet, all sorts of tents, 5 berth motorhome, Combi Camp trailer tents, folding campers, campervans.

My little campervan is more suitable now the kids are growing up and don't come with me much anymore to help with the tent pitching, caravan etc hitching up, leg winding, water fetching, awning erecting and so on.

Much more manageable on my own.

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    started a topic How many ex caravanners on here?

How many ex caravanners on here?

We used to have a caravan but had a nasty accident when we started to snake on the M25 and the van spinning us round and taking us off the motorway.

Thankfully we weren't seriously injured but the van was a right off and the car badly damaged.

After that we decided to think of other options we didn't fancy going back to tents so we thought of motorhomes but only have limited off road parking so a big one was out of the question.

We had seen Romahomes on campsites before so we decided to start looking at those and found a nice C15 for which we part exchanged our car and bought the van as a sole vehicle.

Since then we've progressed through two Duo's and finally a Dimension.

So how many others have moved from caravans to motorhomes?

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
Working...
X