As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Groan!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Groan!

    Just completed the tasks that need doing on the caravan...

    Turning the tyres around (now I really miss my campervan) and checking the leisure battery is ok.

    Marked where the tyres were touching the ground with a piece of chalk, then jacked up by the corner steadies until the tyres were just off the ground, so I could turn them. then jacked back down again onto a different bit of tyre.... Not as easy as it sounds!

    The leisure battery was still showing nearly fully charged so I've disconnected it once more will check again in a couple more months.

    First had to battle to get underneath the cover.... what a performance! And then doing it all up again afterwards.

    The jockey wheel was flat as a pancake (I have a blow-up one because of the drive surface) so I've just pulled that up off the ground. Pity I didn't think to do that in the first place, I've a feeling I'm going to need new one. It's very very flat and probably has been like that since winter came. Still, I'll blow it up before I need to use it, and see if it will recover!

    All done, while the weather was a bit milder!

    #2
    All I used to do was push my trailer tents, folding campers, caravans a foot or so forwards or backwards if I wasn't using them for a while, much easier than jacking them up and turning the wheels by hand.

    The jockey wheel tyre isn't a safety issue as it isn't used on the road, so providing it holds it's air it will be ok. It's better for the van to have it down when it's parked as it supports the weight of the nose.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Just completed the tasks that need doing on the caravan...

      Turning the tyres around (now I really miss my campervan) and checking the leisure battery is ok.

      Marked where the tyres were touching the ground with a piece of chalk, then jacked up by the corner steadies until the tyres were just off the ground, so I could turn them. then jacked back down again onto a different bit of tyre.... Not as easy as it sounds!

      The leisure battery was still showing nearly fully charged so I've disconnected it once more will check again in a couple more months.

      First had to battle to get underneath the cover.... what a performance! And then doing it all up again afterwards.

      The jockey wheel was flat as a pancake (I have a blow-up one because of the drive surface) so I've just pulled that up off the ground. Pity I didn't think to do that in the first place, I've a feeling I'm going to need new one. It's very very flat and probably has been like that since winter came. Still, I'll blow it up before I need to use it, and see if it will recover!

      All done, while the weather was a bit milder!
      JayJay,I thought the whole point of having great hulking offspring was they did this sort of thing for you,the last thing anyone wants for xmas is a wrecked back,believe me I know!Take it easy girl we want to see you in the spring,and anyway,why turn tyres? they only go flat on one side!
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Caz View Post
        All I used to do was push my trailer tents, folding campers, caravans a foot or so forwards or backwards if I wasn't using them for a while, much easier than jacking them up and turning the wheels by hand.

        The jockey wheel tyre isn't a safety issue as it isn't used on the road, so providing it holds it's air it will be ok. It's better for the van to have it down when it's parked as it supports the weight of the nose.
        Can't push mine by hand, not strong enough on my own. I could have got the Mr Shifta out to do it (that reminds me, must put that on charge for a while) but I'd still have to wind up the steadies, so I just did it that way!

        The jockey wheel seems to need pumping up every time you use it. I've heard others have the same prob with inflatables. As it's standing on its main wheels and steadies, I've pulled the jockey wheel up off the floor in case the damage is redeemable! Not looking good though.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          JayJay,I thought the whole point of having great hulking offspring was they did this sort of thing for you,the last thing anyone wants for xmas is a wrecked back,believe me I know!Take it easy girl we want to see you in the spring,and anyway,why turn tyres? they only go flat on one side!
          I know, I know! 3 x great hulking offspring, but never around when you need them!

          The tyres are worth more than the rest of the caravan, so I thought I'd better take care of them! Same as with any vehicle if standing for a while, they should be moved/turned occasionally.

          Back still intact, did it all very slowly and carefully

          Neither my Sister & Husband, or my Mother and Father, both who own caravans, turn their tyres. They think I'm too fussy!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            Neither my Sister & Husband, or my Mother and Father, both who own caravans, turn their tyres. They think I'm too fussy!
            Hey JayJay better safe than sorry I turn my wheels every time I go out
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

            Comment

            320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

            Collapse

            728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

            Collapse
            Working...
            X