Now it can be told......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now it can be told......

It seems a long time since the Campervan failed its MOT and I discovered that I can't weld any more. We more or less made the decision on the spot. It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when you have to pay someone else to do a job which you know you can do, but when you try, you can't.
    Not wanting the same rigmarole next year, we decided to part company with the bus and go for a small caravan, but which small caravan? That was the question.
    For some reason the bus didn't attract any bids on Ebay although there were over a thousand views and 84 watchers, and we were fully booked for the next few weeks, so couldn't re-list.
    On a positive note, it gave us plenty of time to look and decide exactly what we wanted. A small pop top which could be handled safely by the Wolseley if necessary, and we looked at several Eribas at first. We've always fancied one of those, but they have one drawback None of them have a toilet, and that was one of the essentials we had on our list. Then we looked at the Flourette and several other variations on the same theme.
    Eventually we settled on a Rapido Club. There were several for sale but we had no room to put one until we found a new home for the Talbot.
    Then suddenly there were no Rapidoes to be had, Only the older ones which we didn't like the look of and as the Classic car show at Thoresby Park approached we were planning on leaving it until after the Kings Lynn meet, which meant that there wouldn't be much left of the camping season.
    So we took the bus down to Thoresby, towing the Wolseley on the "A" frame on Thursday evening, and I set off back home in the Wolseley early on Friday morning to collect the trailer with the bikes and other junk to make our weekend complete.
    On the way back, The Wolseley developed a bit of an ignition problem and I pulled off the road into the forecourt of a caravan dealers to see what I could do to fix it - and there, right before my very eyes, was a Rapido. Exactly what we were looking for.
    I told Rita about it, and on the way home on Monday we stopped and had a good look at it. We both agreed that it was just what we were looking for so the Talbot went back on Ebay as soon as we got home. There was a bid in it within hours, so Tuesday saw us re tracing our journey to leave a deposit on the Rapido and we've been chomping on the bit ever since. Then yesterday we went and collected it.
    The previous owner lost his wife due to carbon dioxide poisoning and so the van has never had a gas bottle fitted. There is a 12volt supply, but we discovered twenty three mains power sockets (Mainly on extension cables, so it looks as if he has run everything off mains electricity and the gas appliances have never been used. I bought a regulator and a fire extinguisher this morning and we are going to take it to York next weekend for a try out before the Kings Lynn do.

003.jpg
    004.jpg
    002.jpg
    Last edited by MYKE; 27-08-2016, 20:13.

23 power sockets, strewth what was he running in there?
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
      23 power sockets, strewth what was he running in there?
      Growing Cannabis plants perhaps?
      A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

23 sockets! I'm not sure we've got that many in our whole house!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

A blue plastic Calor Gas bottle? And on top of that, no regulator and the hose is disconnected. It'll never work.
          Lovely looking caravan though. And the Wolseley.
          I've got 7 Wolseleys. 3 pairs of socks and a string vest.
          Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

Wow! What a time you have had of it, Myke. Congratulations on the outcome.

We look forward to admiring the caravan 'in person' as it were, as well as to admiring Andrew in his string vest!
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              A blue plastic Calor Gas bottle? And on top of that, no regulator and the hose is disconnected. It'll never work.
              Lovely looking caravan though. And the Wolseley.
              I've got 7 Wolseleys. 3 pairs of socks and a string vest.
              Ha! You're a gas! ....oh sorry, that should be gasgas.

Cynthia

Comment

If you are lucky you might see me in my socks, but my String Vest is for Her Eyes Only. Keep away, avert your eyes or ye may be tempted by evil thoughts.

Comment

Vest

Are string vests still in fashion then? Were they ever in fashion for that matter? My mind is all a flutter

Pam

Comment

Rapido

A smart looking van. I'm nosy. I want internal pics, since I'll not be at Kings Lynn

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by pamsicle View Post
                      Are string vests still in fashion then? Were they ever in fashion for that matter? My mind is all a flutter

Pam
                      Yes, indeed. they were fashionable in the 1960s but Google shows patterns for string vests from far earlier than then.

http://www.fab40s.co.uk/Mensunderwear.html

Some girls wore them as a non too modest fashion item in the late 1960s, occasionally, too.

Comment

Lovely lovely caravan! So over to the dark side along with a few more of us then, Myke!

I was bidding on one of these a few years ago, but the bidding went too high for me. I also like the thought of a small bathroom!

It's a wonder the previous owner didn't trip the mains with all those sockets!

Comment

It looks great Myke, congratulations.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
                            Yes, indeed. they were fashionable in the 1960s but Google shows patterns for string vests from far earlier than then.

http://www.fab40s.co.uk/Mensunderwear.html

Some girls wore them as a non too modest fashion item in the late 1960s, occasionally, too.
                            Haven't you got anything better to do than look up string vests on google, Sue?

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                              Haven't you got anything better to do than look up string vests on google, Sue?
                              Hahahaha. Well, at least I didn't admit to having had a string vest myself...or have i just done that?

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X