This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have finally bought a Kip Van!!!!

Got home with it about an hour ago, Dad towed it home for me but we made it.

Got a few things to do, in spite of the price : as it has no keys for the door to lock it , so that's the first priority - asap before the local drunk finds it unlocked....

The other things that need doing are (at some point before the spring) - to put in a small fridge - it did say it came with one BUT it was one of those chest type things that you have to use outside in an awning! I can hardly pick it up empty, so will sell that and get a little one like I had in the Romahome. Will have to save up for that to be fitted.

The other slight niggle is that it has continental plugs - two pin sockets, so will have to find someone to wire in our UK 3-pin sort... need to find out about that. Maybe adaptors will work?

I don't know if this link will work, but this is it on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The item number is 260515345173

It was bought on the buy it now (just like my camper was) and the chap reneged on the deal (just like my camper was) but I emailed and they gave me first refusal before relisting (nice people) and knocked £50 off so I bought for £900, they wouldn't drop any more. And that is a helluva lot of money for a tiny van, so laugh if you must! I dont care! LOL!

Done my back in getting it onto the drive (that was with the help of Dad and a bloke from down the road, so I guess I'd better save for a motor mover as well.....

But I'm home and safe and have something I've wanted for quite a while, so thanks be for that eh?

JayJay

Excellent news Jayjay, hope you're pleased with it!! Are you sleeping in it on the drive tonight, just to test it?!?!?!?
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Well done Jayjay

Really pleased you have got the van you had set your heart on, I'm sure you'll get all the little niggles sorted out soon and you'll be off camping again. Can't wait to have a nosey at the next meet.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Well done Jay Jay, persistance pays. Look forward to seeing you at a meet next year. Adapter plugs from two to three pin are easily available from camping shops, and even Boots I think.

Colin

Comment

ahhhh brilliant news - I'm sure you'll love sorting it all out etc etc.....
          I'd let myself go but I've already gone......:D

Comment

just had a peep at it on ebay and its a real sweetie - got character!! Happy vanning!!
            I'd let myself go but I've already gone......:D

Comment

Love the van,..................

great van love it bring ya plugs and ill change them for you, free lol its not a big job.. a nice van and price wasnt out of the way xxRob.::
              Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Got home with it about an hour ago, Dad towed it home for me but we made it.

Got a few things to do, in spite of the price : as it has no keys for the door to lock it , so that's the first priority - asap before the local drunk finds it unlocked....

The other things that need doing are (at some point before the spring) - to put in a small fridge - it did say it came with one BUT it was one of those chest type things that you have to use outside in an awning! I can hardly pick it up empty, so will sell that and get a little one like I had in the Romahome. Will have to save up for that to be fitted.

The other slight niggle is that it has continental plugs - two pin sockets, so will have to find someone to wire in our UK 3-pin sort... need to find out about that. Maybe adaptors will work?

I don't know if this link will work, but this is it on ebay
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The item number is 260515345173

It was bought on the buy it now (just like my camper was) and the chap reneged on the deal (just like my camper was) but I emailed and they gave me first refusal before relisting (nice people) and knocked £50 off so I bought for £900, they wouldn't drop any more. And that is a helluva lot of money for a tiny van, so laugh if you must! I dont care! LOL!

Done my back in getting it onto the drive (that was with the help of Dad and a bloke from down the road, so I guess I'd better save for a motor mover as well.....

But I'm home and safe and have something I've wanted for quite a while, so thanks be for that eh?

JayJay
              Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                Excellent news Jayjay, hope you're pleased with it!! Are you sleeping in it on the drive tonight, just to test it?!?!?!?
                Nooooo!!!! LOL Glen.... It froze solid here last night, so I'm glad I didn't even think about doing that! I have to sort this two-pin socket thing out so that I can plug in my little radiator! It does have a little gas heater, which seems to work well although rather old, but I wouldn't even consider leaving that on all night, I don't trust gas fires in vans!

Many thanks for the offer of help on the plug side, Rob! Might take you up on that if someone nearby can't sort it for me! I'm going to borrow an adaptor just to see if the electrics work over this weekend.

And list that enormous camping fridge on ebay! LOL!

would love to find a manual for it somewhere as well, but I don't think that will be possible! LOL!

Comment

Congratulations JayJay, what a beautiful Christmas to yourself. Well the family will certainly know what presents to buy you now!!!!

Looking forward to seeing your little Kip

Comment

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
                    Congratulations JayJay, what a beautiful Christmas to yourself. Well the family will certainly know what presents to buy you now!!!!

Looking forward to seeing your little Kip

Thanks Lunnie! Will be proudly showing off at the meet in May!!

The layout is very similar to the little Roma demountable I used to own, with a back door (handy for my awning). The best thing though is that I can stand up all the way thru with no crouching, which is something that was really hard for me in the Roma (which I still miss!). Two nice size beds that you don't have to make up to sleep in.

The other advantage is that I don't have to tax and insure it as I couldn't let go of my auto car as driving around in the Bedford was really uncomfortable. My budget just doesn't stretch to having two vehicles.

I will miss not just being able to get in and go though - it's not quite as easy getting a caravan onto a towball. Hey, I don't even know how to tow a caravan yet, LOL LOL, never even towed a trailer, so here comes another big learning curve! Dad was giving me lessons as we drove along - but to be honest, at only 5ft wide and 650kg max weight, it's literally like driving a small trailer, Dad said he couldn't even feel it on the back of his 1.8 auto astra, and said he didn't even think it had cost any more to tow back in petrol than it had cost to get there to collect without it!

So - today I have to get a photo of the lock and send to a place which sells barrels and keys to see if they can find a match. Thats the first thing to sort out.

Comment

...and the second thing I have to do is get a registration plate for the back!!!!

LOL that would be me and Dad towing it all the way home illegally then - I didn't even give it a thought!

Comment

It looks like a little belter jayjay . A far cry from the one you started to bid on.

And what's money? It's whether you like what you got that counts!

Good timing too - you should just have it ready for the Spring - or is that being too optimistic?.....

Keith

Comment

It looks a great little van. I bet you can't wait for spring to come and have your first outing in it.
                          Moya :)

Comment

Can't wait to see it JayJay and you never know, there might be a manual out there somewhere, someone might even copy it for you if they have one that they don't want to part with.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping, Pauleen! Preferably in English rather than Dutch. Am posting the q. on 'that other site' in a bit, hope you don't mind!

Well here's a poser:
                              What d'you think this is? The bloke told my Dad it was the EHU lead - well if it is, it certainly doesn't fit the UK three pin on the outside! LOL. I hope there's a proper lead as advertised... if not, something else to add to the bill! It's about the circumference of a lamp plug and has two short and one long pin. It's approx 1 metre long. It will plug into itself, but I can't see anything else it might plug into! Excuse me for being thick - it's probably an extension to plug a continental elec kettle into or something!

here goes, hope this posts ok....
                              Last edited by jayjay; 04-12-2009, 19:20.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X