Going to the dark side!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the dark side!

We have decided to buy a caravan, as the two of us and the two dogs leaves us very little space in the Bambi. Looking to something around 20 feet long, because of our driveway. 4 berth would be nice. Any help, thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
    We have decided to buy a caravan, as the two of us and the two dogs leaves us very little space in the Bambi. Looking to something around 20 feet long, because of our driveway. 4 berth would be nice. Any help, thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    It depends on the budget,how much were you thinking of? £50.£500.£5000,£50,000?
    If you dont want/cant/tow then a four berth M/C.
    If you want to tow and want a very long working life,then an Eriba. 20 years plus
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 09-03-2011, 16:22.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Budget will be circa £4,500. We don't like fixed beds, as they take up a lot of room. Towing shouldn't be an issue - the car can tow upto 1600kgs - and I've a deal of experience in this.

Comment

Budget will be circa £4,500. We don't like fixed beds, as they take up a lot of room. Towing shouldn't be an issue - the car can tow upto 1600kgs - and I've a deal of experience in this.
        You should get a nice Eriba 2nd hand for that,they are the right size, not fixed beds.Can be towed easily with a smaller car.

Comment

This something we have considered, most of the friends we holiday with have caravans and claire's car will easily tug a caravan, the tow capacity being 2000kg BUT we visited a couple of local caravan dealers who both told us we shouldn't tow anything with an MTPLM higher than the kerb weight of the car, in our case 1690kg. Both mentioned problems with insurance if this was exceeded.
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Forgot to add, have a look on caravan finder, you can narrow down the vast array of caravans on the Market by looking at the layout search. You can choose the number of berths and then it shows you all the different layouts available and groups all the caravans listed with your chosen layout. There are photos & in some cases videos of the caravans too
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
              This something we have considered, most of the friends we holiday with have caravans and claire's car will easily tug a caravan, the tow capacity being 2000kg BUT we visited a couple of local caravan dealers who both told us we shouldn't tow anything with an MTPLM higher than the kerb weight of the car, in our case 1690kg. Both mentioned problems with insurance if this was exceeded.
              Quite correct Glen,MTPLM or Maximum Gross Weight as it used to be known,is the weight of your caravan with everything inside it,it should not be more than 85% of the kerb weight of your car,unladen.The caravan Club recommend 70%.
              That is why I recommend Eriba,they are smaller with a long life giving a good return on investment.

Comment

And the site below will help with all that matching tow car to caravan weight:

http://www.whattowcar.com/

It's recommended that the caravan does not exceed 80% of the tow car kerb weight.

Comment

My Sprite Alpine 2 is a great little caravan, fits me and 3 dogs, end bathroom, you should get one about year 2004 model for the budget your looking at,

Yes you could have problems if the caravan is over the kerb weight of the car, you shouldn't really tow more than 1430kgs if your kerb weight is 1690 kgs

The Sprite is well below that, also its about 6 metres long, I love mine
                  A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Freedom caravans are also very lightweight. I'm not sure they make one that's 20ft long! also have a look at the german Arias (not sure if that's how you spell it) as they are very lightweight as well - and the Sprites of course!

Comment

Just a thought, I know your not buying new, but the dealers don't need to know that, spend a little time looking around dealerships and check out the layouts, find one that is right for you and then you can look around for one in your budget, sometimes dealers can get some nice priced caravans in, but they are definitely useful for just trying on for size whilst your deciding on the layout.

There are so many around, its nice to try them out for size
                      A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

There is now an eriba for sale at the bottom of the threads page.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and help, everyone. We have, in recent weeks, done a lot of homework, been checking out various caravans, at shows, on the internet, and on forecourts, to find what we like, and preferred, as well as those things and layouts we didn't like, for example, fixed beds, and keeping an eye on prices, and reviews.

Yesterday, we purchased a Swift Challenger 520SE, outstandingly immaculate, dry as a bone, inside, and excellent order underneath, too. We were very fortunate, as due to an error, the caravan was offered at 20% less than the forecourt price, on the internet, the vendor could not go back on this, which left him with no alternative, when we offered him the web price in readies.

We have cars in the fleet at home, that are capable of towing within the parameters, so no issues there.

Needless to say, Doreen and I are chuffed, and looking forward to taking delivery, and our first trip away.
                          Last edited by zaphod; 14-03-2011, 00:50.

Comment

Marvellous, enjoy your new van.
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              There is now an eriba for sale at the bottom of the threads page.
                              It's not a caravan, its a campervan, quite unique, you don't see many about.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X