New (to me) car and caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) car and caravan

I have downsized and now got a Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi and a Lunar Ariva. Got the car last week and picked up the caravan today. Off to Sandringham C&CC site on sunday.
    Regards, Robinjim.

Great stuff Robin. Pictures please.

We love Sandringham C&CC site one of our favourites, hope you have a great time.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

That sounds like a neat unit - if I remember correctly the Skoda Fabia was actually voted top tow car recently! I'd love one myself, but will have to win the Lotto first! Welcome to the forum and I'd love to see photos too!

I have a classic (means very old, 1980s) Dutch Kip caravan and an equally old (but not 1980s) Nissan Almera. Could really do with a newer tow car as this one, being an automatic seems a little underpowered to me. However, the Kip is only 650kg max tow weight (450kg unladen), so it doesn't really struggle, just a personal observation. I'd like a 1.8 instead of a 1.6 I think, as autos have less torque than their manual equivalents. Took me ages to get the hang of towing with an auto, although I've driven nothing else for years!

Comment

Very few people realise how much engine power an automatic gearbox absorbs just to make it function Jayjay.
        Things have improved, but a given engine will never go as well when driving an automatic box as with a manual. You've probably wondered about the fuel consumption too.
        Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          Very few people realise how much engine power an automatic gearbox absorbs just to make it function Jayjay.
          Things have improved, but a given engine will never go as well when driving an automatic box as with a manual. You've probably wondered about the fuel consumption too.
          Jim.
          Actually, Jim, even when fully laden, it makes very little difference to the petrol consumption when I'm towing the wee chicken shed. I found that very surprising as I thought it would double fuel consumption. that was based on my sisters outfit - larger and heavier and she uses a lot more petrol when towing.

I just assumed that my car would use more petrol when towing, but if it does, its pence more, rather than pounds more. Although generally, auto's use a bit more petrol than their manual equivalents, it's only a couple more MPG than their manual counterparts. I find on a run when towing that I'm not using much if any more petrol. Although the weather can make a difference, especially windy days, but it would anyway, whether towing or not! It's also maybe something to do with having a pop-top caravan - it has a very sloping front which must be particularly aerodynamic, is no wider than the car is, and not much higher, so it's not much different to towing a trailer really.

Comment

Hi Jayjay I nearly bought a Kip a few years ago. It was a 2 berth end kitchen and a corner loo. It was a great little caravan. I thought it was too small at the time. It would have been ideal now and so light!
            I have only towed with the Fabia about 15 miles yesterday just to try it. It seemed OK. Will know better on a longer run to Sandringham on sunday.
            regards
            Robin
            Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
              Hi Jayjay I nearly bought a Kip a few years ago. It was a 2 berth end kitchen and a corner loo. It was a great little caravan. I thought it was too small at the time. It would have been ideal now and so light!
              I have only towed with the Fabia about 15 miles yesterday just to try it. It seemed OK. Will know better on a longer run to Sandringham on sunday.
              regards
              Robin
              Hi Robin, my Kip has two beds, end kitchen one side of the back door, Shelves and wardrobe on the other side. The one you saw with inside loo must have been a more modern one. I wouldn't be without it - I have a movelite awning and the luggable loo goes in there behind a shower curtain!

I also went out for a trial run, and was amazed at how easy towing was. All you need to remember is to go wide around any left hand turns, and allow more forward space if overtaking before you pull back in. I use my caravan extension side mirrors a lot more than when just driving. I also pull over if possible if I notice a train of cars waiting to overtake!

Enjoy your weekend at Sandringham. The towing bit I found quite stressful at first, but now I know I can do it and I know how stable my outfit is, I'm a lot more relaxed about it all. I tend to get stressed before I go, then wonder why I did when I get home! LOL!
              Last edited by jayjay; 11-03-2011, 10:10.

Comment

well I had a good week no problems with car or caravan. No rain either!
                Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                  well I had a good week no problems with car or caravan. No rain either!
                  Glad to hear it, Robin! Did your outfit meet all expectations?

Comment

yes thanks Jayjay. Tha Skoda obviously hasn't the pulling power of the mondeo (previous car) as its much lighter and smaller but it towed the little ariva fine. I got 33mpg towing all A roads. no motorway. The caravan was good too. Less space by far than the coachman but I knew that of course and it was fine for my solo camping. It was nice and warm despite a couple of heavy frosts.
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Glad to hear it, Robin.

My car is just about to go in for a full service tomorrow and a small amount of welding to the sills, so I hope it's not going to be too expensive!

I'd really like the same car (Nissan Almera) in an 1800cc, 4 speed auto version! However, the 1600 3-speed will have to do for a while yet!

Comment

fingers crossed its not too expensive
                        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

What coachman caravan did you have? Did you have any issues with it or did you just downsize? Only asking cos we have just put a deposit on a coachman amara 570 ( it's actually a dealer special edition called festival but it's based on the amara)
                          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

It was a coachman Pastiche 420/2. I was very happy with it but needed to downsize. I had no problems with it at all.
                            Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Is the festival a dealers special for Kimberley Caravans?
                              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X