Advice for new tin tenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for new tin tenters

Well, havng dispensed lots of useless and unhelpful information to romahomers and motorhomers, I am now asking for advice.

We are moving over to caravanning and realise that although there are many similariltes to motorhoming, there are differences too.

We would like to know what people think are useful or necessary when it comes to caravanning. We already have a EHU, waste master, water hog and towing mirrors but what else do we need?? I'm thinking of things specific to caravanning, we already have cutlery, crockery, pots and pans etc.:eat:

The catalogues are full of wierd and wonderful stuff, hitch locks, nose weight gauges, awning rail brushes.........

Thanks in advance.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Nose weight gauge, hitchlock, wheel clamps, a step and a motor mover were all essentials for my caravans.

Apart from what you already have and those, it's pretty much the same as a motorhome. Have you got the hoses to connect the waste & fresh water hogs to the van?

Comment

I'm just about to buy a double step for my caravan as the single one is hell on the knees after a couple of days. You probably won't have that problem for a good while yet! But a step if it didn't come with the caravan.

You might also like to consider a breathable cover for over the winter, saves all that cleaning and scrubbing in the spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
        Nose weight gauge, hitchlock, wheel clamps, a step and a motor mover were all essentials for my caravans.

Apart from what you already have and those, it's pretty much the same as a motorhome. Have you got the hoses to connect the waste & fresh water hogs to the van?
        Thank you, we haven't collected the caravan yet and can't remenber what hoses it came with, I'm pretty certain it had the water hog -> van hoses but not sure about the waste hose.

The motor mover is already fitted but will add nose weight gauge and hitch lock to the list of needs. And the step too, a double might be easier for Evie as she gets older - thanks Caz and Jayjay!

I think the caravan is going to be kept in storage, its a bit bigger than the motorhome I think and its already a squeeze on our drive, so a cover shouldn't be needed.
        Anything else??
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
          Thank you, we haven't collected the caravan yet and can't remenber what hoses it came with, I'm pretty certain it had the water hog -> van hoses but not sure about the waste hose.

The motor mover is already fitted but will add nose weight gauge and hitch lock to the list of needs. And the step too, a double might be easier for Evie as she gets older - thanks Caz and Jayjay!

I think the caravan is going to be kept in storage, its a bit bigger than the motorhome I think and its already a squeeze on our drive, so a cover shouldn't be needed.
          Anything else??
          a cover while in storage keeps it clean,no black mould,bird poo leaves etc.
          Unless its stored under cover but thats more expensive.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Very useful list, there.
            Can I suggest in addtion:

Toilet Paper - the disolvable stuff.
            Battery Charger - for the leisure battery, when at home.
            Spirit Level - you'll probably have one already.
            Blocks for the stabilisers.
            Calor Gas - ensure you have enough - maybe one of those indicators you can stick on the outside of the bottle?
            Fire Extinguisher
            Smoke and CO alarms
            Last edited by zaphod; 02-04-2011, 23:58.
            Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Thank you, we have some of the things but you have added a few more for the shopping list!!

Comment

It is generally taken for granted that the motorhome engine will charge the leisure battery en-route.
                If it is a modern 'van it will probably have a leisure battery and a circuit to replenish the leisure battery/run the fridge etc. from the tow car when travelling, just like a motorhome. Older vans may not.
                Unless you always use EHU on sites the facility is almost essential these days.
                Well worth the cost of fitting if not provided.
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks Jim, the van is a 2010 so should be ok but I will check to be 100%, I must admit that never entered my mind, all our friends vans charge whilst driving so just assumed they all did!

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                    Thanks Jim, the van is a 2010 so should be ok but I will check to be 100%, I must admit that never entered my mind, all our friends vans charge whilst driving so just assumed they all did!

Obviously the car must be wired with matching facility too Glen.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                      Obviously the car must be wired with matching facility too Glen.
                      ...which is not always the case, hence the battery charger.

In addition to the list, if your van does not have a stabliser on the hitch, I would recommend one. Also a protector plate between your tow ball and bumper would be worth thinking about. No matter how careful you are, the caravan may roll forward slightly when you lower the jockey wheel, and cause damage.

Finally, a cover for the tow hitch, and handbrake, will also protect the electrical socket/s (black, and grey).

HTH
                      Last edited by zaphod; 04-04-2011, 13:33.
                      Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Modern caravans have on-board battery chargers which keep the battery topped up when on EHU. Also, providing (as Twolitre says) the car & caravan are wired up correctly, the battery will charge from the car when towing.

Comment

Definitely a stabiliser Glen, without a doubt. Promise me it is on your list

We were told it was the reason our caravan did not overturn when we had our accident

Comment

oh and just one more thing, which I'm sure you have done, but I will say it anyway. All the checks like kerb weight for your vehicle and caravan, it is important that they match each other, most dealers have a book which works it out or I think you can do it from the Club books.

and maybe look to getting Tyron Bands one day, heard they are really good at keeping caravans stable if you do have a puncture.

Ooops that was two things

Comment

Will ensure a stabiliser is on, I think one is built in to the hitch??
                              Weights are ok, we will be at approx. 90% if we fully load the van.
                              Not sure if a protector plate can be fitted to towbar, we have to have a removeable ball because the tow car has a split folding boot, the bumper folds down too.
                              Have seen the ads for tyron bands, they look a good idea. When we had a tyre fitted to the Motorhome, the fitted did say please don't tell me you have bands fitted, they are a pain in the "neck" when trying to change tyres although he dud admit they are a great idea.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X