'New era for Elddis'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New era for Elddis'

Ok, so I stole the title for this topic from an article in the C&MC magazine! It seems the Erwin Hymer Group has acquired 100% of the shares of the Explorer Group, of which Elddis is a part. I have a soft spot for the Elddis badge, having had an Avante (475 I think it was) for many years back in a 'previous lifetime', and enjoyed completely trouble free and very happy caravanning during that time. I wonder what Siddle would make of the buy-out? (See link)

http://www.elddis.co.uk/ObjFiles/Pre...-of-Elddis.pdf

I daresay with the Hymer name shadowing the Explorer group badges that quality will not suffer but it does seem sad to see such a well known British caravan manufacturer getting swallowed up. There is nothing in the C&MC article to give any clue as to why such a big group should get taken over by a competitor but I hope Hymer will keep the Explorer Group names alive, (Elddis, Compass and Buccaneer) and maintain full employment at the Consett factory where they are built.

The author of the article says it's 'too early to see what effect the German giant will have on the shape of vehicle line-ups' but as so often happens in the case of a foreign buy-out, if the going gets tough the overseas arm will always be the one to suffer! No worries about a slow down in the caravan market any time soon, according to Glass's business guide:

http://www.glassbusiness.co.uk/news-...ds-april-2016/

Cynthia.

Interesting article, Cynthia! My Dad had an Elddis caravan when we were children, I think! I hope they do keep their badges and sales.

Comment

After many years of campervans my first caravan was an Elddis Whirlwind 1990 model, purchased from a couple who bought it new and used it for three two week holidays each year. At ten years old it was near immaculate, the carpet had been covered, the cushions had throws over them when being used and all the cupboards and shelves had been lined with thick paper. I had the caravan for a number of years and the only reason I sold it was to buy a fixed bed caravan - big mistake at the time. Since then and many more caravans and campervans than I care to remember but my bank balance does, I have many fond memories of my Whirlwind, which I owned longer than any other caravan or campervan, which happily was colour coordinated to my car at the time, a green Peugeot 406.
      It will be interesting to how Hymer treat the Explorer Group caravans and motorhomes in the future, I see streamlining, model reductions and cheaper finishes if my own Eriba is anything to go by. Hymer seem to have a policy of unit construction, one size will fit all regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by fenman View Post
        After many years of campervans my first caravan was an Elddis Whirlwind 1990 model, purchased from a couple who bought it new and used it for three two week holidays each year. At ten years old it was near immaculate, the carpet had been covered, the cushions had throws over them when being used and all the cupboards and shelves had been lined with thick paper. I had the caravan for a number of years and the only reason I sold it was to buy a fixed bed caravan - big mistake at the time. Since then and many more caravans and campervans than I care to remember but my bank balance does, I have many fond memories of my Whirlwind, which I owned longer than any other caravan or campervan, which happily was colour coordinated to my car at the time, a green Peugeot 406.
        It will be interesting to how Hymer treat the Explorer Group caravans and motorhomes in the future, I see streamlining, model reductions and cheaper finishes if my own Eriba is anything to go by. Hymer seem to have a policy of unit construction, one size will fit all regardless.
        Thanks for your interesting response Fenman. Like you, I can claim a huge affection for the Elddis brand, after having owned a really lovely Avante for a number of years. I only sold that because when my husband and I parted company he wanted his half of the value of the 'van so I reluctantly let it go, to pay him off. I could have hung onto it but decided it would be too full of memories of happier days and was too big for me on my own, anyway.

but my bank balance does - Yes, I know that feeling only too well!

Always a worry when a company from overseas buys out a British firm, things seldom stay the same.... Time will tell.
        Cynthia.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X