Freedom microlite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom microlite

Anyone had a freedom microlite caravan and was it any good?

Yes, I had one. I've also had a Sunseeker.

I loved them but they are quirky, the microlite particularly is a bit odd looking and people often asked about it. It was light enough for me to move around the drive on my own till I loaded it up. Towed a dream behind both the smallish cars I had at the time.

The main problem is that the lining on the walls and roof degrades over time, it's a sort of foam backed nylon "velvet" and the foam disintegrates so it comes unstuck. If you are at all handy you can re-do it with the carpet trim stuff they sell for cars. Another thing I found with the Microlite I had (the 3 berth version) was that the sink and cooker were a bit low for comfort, also although I could stand up without having to raise the roof, my son grew 6 inches that year so he couldn't anymore. The raising roof doesn't have any sides, only insect netting, although I daresay anyone handy could add a canvas edging to it to keep out draughts and rain.

One advantage is that Freedom Caravans at Stafford, the importers, seemed to stock every possible spare that I could think of, and at a reasonable price.

Comment

I'll second all that Caz said - and of course being fibreglass damp is not a terminal issue. We had the Sunseeker - spares are always one click away. Construction wise very like your pod.
      Are you abandoning Suzie?
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

I've had both Microlight and Sunseeker and thoroughly recommend both. Rot proof and lightweight, I towed both happily at 50 mph with a Morris Minor. Maybe a bit small for some, but an awning doubles the space available. A fantastic caravan for what it is.

Comment

I haven't had one, but at one point the Twin bed version was just about top of my list. On paper and in the brochure it looked perfect for me, I then went to a show in Peterborough to see it and was incredibly disappointed - it just looked cheap to me. I wanted it to be so good that I kept going back to their stand thinking I would change my mind - but no!

Just my opinion and I'm still looking, so maybe I'm too fussy - I think I'm getting very close to choosing a Campervan now.

Comment

Thanks all, suzie goes for her MOT on Monday, but I don't think I have the time to deal with her her stresses these days! I really want a posh shinny campervan but they are so expensive that I'm thinking a lightweight caravan is the answer. SWMBO doesn't like big caravans but would go for this type I think! Somehow for her roughing it Is half the fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregor View Post
              I haven't had one, but at one point the Twin bed version was just about top of my list. On paper and in the brochure it looked perfect for me, I then went to a show in Peterborough to see it and was incredibly disappointed - it just looked cheap to me. I wanted it to be so good that I kept going back to their stand thinking I would change my mind - but no!

Just my opinion and I'm still looking, so maybe I'm too fussy - I think I'm getting very close to choosing a Campervan now.
              Gregor I think you have to be realistic - the Freedom (all models) are budget priced, no frills caravans. I think I speak for most people who have owned one when I say what impresses is the functionality and basic build quality. The Fibreglass sides of the Sunseeker we owned were at least 50% thicker than the sides of our Romahome demountable.
              But as I said it is cheap to buy new and in the end you get what you pay for - I would rather the functional workmanlike little tugger that is safe and easy to tow rather than added bling!
              Jon
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X