Freedom microlite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom microlite

Anyone had a freedom microlite caravan and was it any good?

Yes, I had one. I've also had a Sunseeker.

I loved them but they are quirky, the microlite particularly is a bit odd looking and people often asked about it. It was light enough for me to move around the drive on my own till I loaded it up. Towed a dream behind both the smallish cars I had at the time.

The main problem is that the lining on the walls and roof degrades over time, it's a sort of foam backed nylon "velvet" and the foam disintegrates so it comes unstuck. If you are at all handy you can re-do it with the carpet trim stuff they sell for cars. Another thing I found with the Microlite I had (the 3 berth version) was that the sink and cooker were a bit low for comfort, also although I could stand up without having to raise the roof, my son grew 6 inches that year so he couldn't anymore. The raising roof doesn't have any sides, only insect netting, although I daresay anyone handy could add a canvas edging to it to keep out draughts and rain.

One advantage is that Freedom Caravans at Stafford, the importers, seemed to stock every possible spare that I could think of, and at a reasonable price.

Comment

I'll second all that Caz said - and of course being fibreglass damp is not a terminal issue. We had the Sunseeker - spares are always one click away. Construction wise very like your pod.
      Are you abandoning Suzie?
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I've had both Microlight and Sunseeker and thoroughly recommend both. Rot proof and lightweight, I towed both happily at 50 mph with a Morris Minor. Maybe a bit small for some, but an awning doubles the space available. A fantastic caravan for what it is.

Comment

I haven't had one, but at one point the Twin bed version was just about top of my list. On paper and in the brochure it looked perfect for me, I then went to a show in Peterborough to see it and was incredibly disappointed - it just looked cheap to me. I wanted it to be so good that I kept going back to their stand thinking I would change my mind - but no!

Just my opinion and I'm still looking, so maybe I'm too fussy - I think I'm getting very close to choosing a Campervan now.

Comment

Thanks all, suzie goes for her MOT on Monday, but I don't think I have the time to deal with her her stresses these days! I really want a posh shinny campervan but they are so expensive that I'm thinking a lightweight caravan is the answer. SWMBO doesn't like big caravans but would go for this type I think! Somehow for her roughing it Is half the fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregor View Post
              I haven't had one, but at one point the Twin bed version was just about top of my list. On paper and in the brochure it looked perfect for me, I then went to a show in Peterborough to see it and was incredibly disappointed - it just looked cheap to me. I wanted it to be so good that I kept going back to their stand thinking I would change my mind - but no!

Just my opinion and I'm still looking, so maybe I'm too fussy - I think I'm getting very close to choosing a Campervan now.
              Gregor I think you have to be realistic - the Freedom (all models) are budget priced, no frills caravans. I think I speak for most people who have owned one when I say what impresses is the functionality and basic build quality. The Fibreglass sides of the Sunseeker we owned were at least 50% thicker than the sides of our Romahome demountable.
              But as I said it is cheap to buy new and in the end you get what you pay for - I would rather the functional workmanlike little tugger that is safe and easy to tow rather than added bling!
              Jon
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X