All Change!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Change!

Here we go again, another bucketful of money down the drain......

I haven't been out in the Bailey since our maiden voyage back in early February. For some reason or other, I never felt totally at ease with that caravan. So now I have gone almost full circle and am back with a 'mini'! I'd been umming and ah-ing about the weight and size of the Bailey and despite having all the space I'd desired I was worried about the effects on the small engine in the Skoda, so kept my eye out for something smaller as I'd decided I really didn't want to change the car.

Soon I will be introducing Poppy to the forum! The Bailey having been sold I have bought a Fleurette Tamaris 31TS pop-top. I will be collecting her from Campers and Leisure, in Ringwood, on 1st June and hope that this time I can settle happily with my choice!

I had a drive down to Hampshire during the week to have a look at the pop-tops, never having got up close and personal with one before. I'm glad I did now - they look to be finished to a better standard than the Freedom. (I'd been wondering whether that's what I'd end up with) There was a little two berth Tamaris on the forecourt, 1994 which I haggled over after casting a critical eye and eventually agreed to a purchase, with a little off the asking price.

I cannot Belieeeeeve the weight of this little caravan! MIRO 475kg and MTPLM 600Kg??? That's lighter than the Slimline Gobur Carousel I had! Yet the dimensions are slightly larger. AND it has a loo compartment. As the Fleurettes are French, the door is on the 'wrong' side, but that actually makes life much easier for me; I can now load/unload from my bungalow without having to jiggle round the remaining space on my narrow driveway to reach the door. It's only 6' 7" wide so doesn't take up as much room on the driveway anyway.

TowSafe outfit match report? 'Passed - Good combination' - no advisories. Yay!

Woo hoooo! I'm actually feeling quite excited about my 'new' caravan now, and spending some time choosing a CS either in the New Forest or on the Dorset coast, for my test run. Bring it on! There are a couple of rallies coming up in the summer and of course Poppy will then make her SMH debut at the autumn rally!
    One happy bunny,
    Cynthia.

Yay!!! Look forward to see your new home at Taunton. Sounds perfect.

Comment

Lovely, Cynthia! Glad it all went ok and you managed to sell the Bailey. I hope you didn't lose too much on it. I'm sure you'll be better off with a pop top caravan, so much easier to tow, and no strain on the car.

Comment

Thank you both! I won't tell you how much this latest change cost me.....! But hey, it's only money, no pockets in shrouds an' all that! One thing that influenced my desire for a change was watching the digital gear shift display going up and down like a fiddlers elbow in the Skoda. The DSG auto boxes are very good - while they're working, but apparently prohibitively expensive to repair if they conk out. So I really didn't want to put it under any undue strain.

I think, having 'done the rounds' and tried a few different units I now know what works for me and what doesn't, and I felt the Tamaris was the best compromise, being so much lighter yet not so much of a hassle to set up/pack down as the Goburs. You can quote me on that if I express any further desires for a change in the future! The only thing that concerns me is how often I'm going to bump my head on the non-pop-up areas of the van! The kitchen looks as though it might be a suspect area ! We shall see.
        Cynthia.

Comment

Morning all. Full and potentially damp here, it much better than yesterday. Congratulations Cynthia - your new van sounds like a good buy. I'm sure you will have happy travels with it.
          Claire

Comment

My parents had a Fleurette, lovely vans. Hope you will be very happy with yours Cynth.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Is it like this Cynthia?
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352048850...374&rmvSB=true
              Looks lovely.
              If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

Congratulations, CyberCynth . Yes, I'd love to see a photo, too. it sounds as if you have made a wise decision.

Last edited by Pauline; 26-05-2018, 16:55. Reason: Removing some un wanted text at Sue's request
                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Good news Cynthia. I look forward to seeing you and your Fleurette. Now she must be called "Fleur". Too obvious?

Comment

Hi Cynthia, so glad to hear that you now have a caravan that ticks most of the boxes!
                    I can understand why you wanted to part with the Bailey, as you say your Skoda suits you very well, and you use most of the time without a caravan so makes sense!
                    You can now relax and enjoy your caravanning trips, hope to see you at Taunton in Sept.
                    Gill

Comment

What great news, you need to be happy with your unit

Comment

Hope the van is all you want it to be Cynthia, congratulations.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
                          Congratulations, CyberCynth . Yes, I'd love to see a photo, too. it sounds as if you have made a wise decision.

Today we are celebrating our second wedding anniversary. So it's a pearls on day today! They go so well with my tailored jeans! LOL I'm really touched that both of my daughters remembered and sent their good wishes. Tonight we will be dining at Ask Italian, a simple restaurant chain that we chose for the family meal that day as they could meet all our different dietary needs (one veggie dairy-free daughter, one dairy-free meat eating sister, one pescatarian daughter, and the rest of us, all omnivors) So everyone was happy with the choice of food.
                          Silly me. Sorry, Cynthia. I have put my daily thread comments onto your thread.
                          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

Silly me. Sorry, Cynthia. I have put my daily thread comments onto your thread.
                            Me too Sue.
                            Claire

Comment

Andrew gasgas , Thank you, yes, mine's very similar to the one in the Ebay ad, but mine only has a 2 burner hob and is slightly smaller I think. Same nice finish though. I think the one in the ad is post-Rapido-takeover of Fleurette. Later Rapido Tamaris models were imported with doors on the nearside, presumably to appeal more to the UK market. However, the offside door is actually more convenient for me, so I'm a happy bunny, especially as the Tamaris has a stable door, unlike the Freedoms.

Patricia PHM I have already named her Poppy; had considered both Fleur and Tammy, both of which sounded a bit predictable, though Poppy the Pop-up is also pretty cheesie!

Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement, I wonder how many people must be wondering how much more money I'm going to throw at caravans before settling on the best compromise! Well, I've got no more to throw, so that answers that question!

Roll on 1st June, I'm actually feeling quite excited now about collecting my 'new' unit! Much more so than when I bought the Bailey.....
                              ​​​​​​​Cynthia.

Comment