Smart Battery Charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Battery Charger?

Just before I went to Bedgellert to rendezvous with Ian Stockley I bought a Smart Charger for my caravan, since no charger is built in.
    I do not usually use EHU and my battery is adequate for a week or more. At least it was last October for about ten days on the Isle of Wight and roaming the South Coast. However, I HAD to pay for EHU at Bedgellert, so I thought a "fit and forget" charger might be an investment.
    As soon as I got the charger I connected it up and left it for about 5 hours. Imagine my dismay when I found nothing electrical would work in the 'van. A voltage check on the battery read 9.3volts - well below the recommended minimum voltage to which any battery should be discharged. Thinking this might be part of the de-sulphation process I left it on all night. Only to find the battery voltage no different.
    I took a conventional charger with me to Wales instead. A good job I did because the fully charged battery went into the red on the ZIG unit in less than 5 minutes. Obviously the battery was wrecked so I demanded and got my money back on the charger, but I knew the battery was past its warranty date so I did not bother trying to claim for that.
    Today I changed the battery for a new one. I found I had marked the purchase date on the old one - 4/5/1995! Perhaps it was ready to "kick its clogs" anyway? It had already done a 2 year stint on my car!
    But! The battery is a 43A/hr lead acid car battery. What price leisure batteries? Has anyone had a leisure battery last longer than that? At todays prices that works out at about £7.50 per year. My last leisure battery cost me at least £40 per year at todays rates.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 16-05-2011, 17:11. Reason: Addition.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

I have a smart charger. I connected it permanently to the leisure battery via the o rings and switched it on and it charged ok while I was connected at home to the EHU.

When it indicated fully charged, I just turned off the EHU but left the charger attached to the battery.. When I got to Polstead a week later, I had no charge whatsoever. However, switching the charger on and leaving it on relayed the EHU power and lit the 12v lights.

What the garbled instructions didn't say was that after it's finished charging, or when you disconnect form EHU, you need to disconnect it from the battery, or it just drains it. If permanently fixed via the o rings, then you disconnect it from the battery via the little plug, near the charger. Mine had a holding plug-type thing for the purpose, I just didn't know what it was for!

I use mine connected via the clip pegs now when necessary and disconnect when it indicates charged and have had no problems.

Comment

My instructions said "fit and forget"! It DID SAY that leaving it connected would not drain the battery. But in any case it was only connected to the battery with the mains switched on.
      For years I have used a traditional charger with no problems, but I never leave it connected to the battery when switched off. The battery the smart charger destroyed had only ever been previously charged with a coventional charger or from the towing car and that lasted 5 years as I Posted earlier.
      Jim.

Comment

wasn't it 16 years old if it was 1995 or have I got the wrong end of the stick
        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Oh dear, Another Tie-pin error!
          It should have been 2005. And that is indeed 6 years old!
          Thanks for pointing those out.
          Jim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X