Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caravan brochure

Saw this on ebay. Great brochure and so is the car boat Pam

Cor Pam! Well spotted! I've never seen one of those in my lifetime.

Can't say it would appeal to me these days - you have to mount the boat on the chassis before you can tow it anywhere? I just hate all the coupling up bit of caravanning, I can't imagine having to pull the caravan onto the chassis before I could do that! LOL!!

Comment

There are still one or two around known very imaginatively as Caraboat!
      It was/is not necessary to remove wheels etc., just back them into the water. I have only ever seen one on the water and the driver was sat on the roof with his legs dangling in the doorway steering with a long pole attached to the outboard motor. I imagine that was very uncomfortable, but the only way he could see where he was going!
      I don't think they were very successful as boats.
      I think I am going to Google "Caraboats to see what comes up.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Caraboat

This came up.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2420

Rather more modern than the ones I remember. But still not very!

And this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/cont..._feature.shtml

Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 25-05-2011, 19:31.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Nice one Pam!

It gets a mention of page 40 of Caravans The Illustrated History from 1960 by Andrew Jenkinson.

'The Amphibian Otter tourer, made in very small numbers from 1957-1966, was considered a novelty, but the Amphibian company was joined in this market by Glider, the old established Northants company. Apart from a Slipstream tourer range, Glider launched a 16ft amphibious model called the Carafloat. Glider finally stopped production in 1967 after 30 years.

Creighton, the Nelson-based company which made clubman tourers, also added an amphibious tourer to its range, called the Gull (probably the best-looking of all amphibious vans, though the purchaser had to pay an extra £100 for the outboard motor). The amphibious tourer sank without a trace (pun intended) with only a brief attempt by a small maker, Caraboat in Mansfield Notts to reloat the idea.'
          Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X