As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put your thinking caps on!! Tech help required:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put your thinking caps on!! Tech help required:)

Hi there!

I'm still having a problem with this drive vs. my Mr Shifta. The drive is soft and the Shifta I have has stoopid little castors on the back which dig into the surface of the soft drive.

I don't have a problem with the drive as it is for anything else, including the caravan, just this stupid little problem with the castors when pulling the van back onto the drive. It's still possible, I just feed pieces of board under it as it travels along, so that the castors don't dig into the soft surface. It's not hard, but it's irritating to have to do this.

I know a good solution would be to either concrete or tarmac the drive, but it would cost a lot, so maybe an option over winter.

Had nephew in to put some concrete paving slabs down... he put them in the wrong place, so the problem still exists!

I saw a different mover on ebay which had proper wheels at the back instead of castors, but I got outbid on it.

Would it be difficult to change these castors on the one I have for a set of proper wheels (thinking childs bike tyres, or stabilisers or something) ? I'm not very technical minded, but I know it would need a rod or spindle for the wheels to go on and they would need to be outside the battery box.

I'll be back with some pics in a min....

Here's the pics...

The first is a pic of a mr shifta like mine - you can see the castors at the back. The second is a mr shifta 3, with wheels on the outside on the back instead of castors.
    Attached Files

Comment

Jay Jay is it possible to fit a proper remote caravan mover on your caravan? I know this is expensive but it is cheaper than drive. There are some cheaper ones coming onto the market now and it would make your life so much better with a bad back.

I just think this makes more sense then persisting with something that is a pain if it is at all financially possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
        Jay Jay is it possible to fit a proper remote caravan mover on your caravan? I know this is expensive but it is cheaper than drive. There are some cheaper ones coming onto the market now and it would make your life so much better with a bad back.

I just think this makes more sense then persisting with something that is a pain if it is at all financially possible.
        Can't find one to fit such a small chassis! And it increases the payload by such a lot that I wonder if my car would actually tow it with the extra weight - also not a lot of clearance underneath. Add to that a huge heavy leisure battery. Otherwise, I'd be after one like a shot!

Comment

This one is 37 Kg w?ould that be tooooooo awful

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/ac...fo_910666.html

perhaps if you speak to a fitter who deals with multiple brands may be possible???

Clutching at straws here for you.

Comment

Sounds good but I'd need the fitting as well, so maybe a bit more than I'd like to pay at the moment. Will think about this over the winter - at the moment my savings are down with going away and all that! Thanks for looking for me though!

Motor mover - £650 inc fitting service

New wheels, shaft etc on the mr Shifta - maybe £20-£40?

Will get my mate Linda's partner to ponder it, he's good with things like this!!
            Last edited by jayjay; 04-06-2011, 15:38.

Comment

Jayjay, I don't think that fixed wheels would be any better than castors. In fact it would probably hinder maneouvering.
              On a soft surface wheel width AND diameter are the important factors.
              I think you will already have noticed that, with the larger jockey wheel fitted at Moreton. The second machine does not appear to have much larger OR wider wheels. Both were probably anticipated to be used on solid surfaces.
              I do not know the weight of your van. But I do know a motor mover would add 10% to the unladen weight of mine. Enough to make hill-climbing less easy.
              I can't offer a solution other than asking some suitably skilled person whether larger/wider wheels could be fitted to the one you have.
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks for your take on this, Jim. I think you're probably right about the larger wheels not manouvering as well. Or even being any different in relation to the drive!

I think I shall have to carry on the way I have been with the pieces of wood until the winter, save some money and get the drive done!

Comment

Could you not get aforementioned nephew to move the paving slabs to the RIGHT place?

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Could you not get aforementioned nephew to move the paving slabs to the RIGHT place?
                    Well yes - you have a point! Nephew and mate tried out the mover and decided where to put them, unfortunately the caravan wasn't on the back and that takes a lot more room! I did mention that they might need to put the caravan on..... My son#2 is threatening to just get some more slabs and put them in the right place! (however, Xmas might come quicker! LOL!)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X