Poppy's Poppies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppy's Poppies

I have finally got round to making the cushion covers for my caravan. When I bought the caravan she looked very plain...
    IMG_2951.JPG
    No cushions, and the soft furnishings looking very tired. However:

IMG_2952.JPG Amazing what a bit of colour will do! A friend kindly bought me the poppy fabric but the plain red backs are from a recycled tablecloth. The green bench covers are at the moment just a couple of pieces of loose fabric. That also is recycled: it used to be the valance on one of my patchwork quilts. I'm hoping there will be enough to at least make the seat covers. For the bench backs I may have to do some jiggery pockery patchwork with some other bits and bobs I'm hoping I may find in my fabric stash.

The metal poppy structure is added for arty-farty effect, I don't take that out with me, it would look too cheesy by half!

I rang the dealer from whom I bought the 'van this morning, to arrange to take Poppy in to have her squidgy floor repaired. They don't want to do the job until November, but that's ok, as long it gets done within the 6 month warranty period. I kept on the right side of the dealership this morning by praising my pop-top to the rafters! I really am very pleased with this little caravan, it definitely ticks all the boxes. I had a good look round the 'van after all the really heavy rain we've had recently and she doesn't seem to have suffered at all from the downpours. Hoorah!

When I tried to load a third photo I had a warning message to tell me 'all content will be lost', don't know what that was about.... Photo loading abandoned for now.
    Cynthia.

I like poppies for lots of reasons, yours are really nice.Most poetry about poppies concerns death and war, in Persian poetry the poppy is the flower of Love, so much more fitting for such a silken delight don't you think ?
    Here is a different view,
    In the Poppy Field, by James Stephens.

Mad Patsy said, he said to me,
    That every morning he could see
    An angel walking on the sky;
    Across the sunny skies of morn
    He threw great handfuls far and nigh
    Of poppy seed among the corn;
    And then, he said, the angels run
    To see the poppies in the sun.

A poppy is a devil weed,
    I said to him - he disagreed;
    He said the devil had no hand
    In spreading flowers tall and fair
    Through corn and rye and meadow land,
    by garth and barrow everywhere:
    The devil has not any flower,
    But only money in his power.

And then he stretched out in the sun
    And rolled upon his back for fun:
    He kicked his legs and roared for joy
    Because the sun was shining down:
    He said he was a little boy
    And would not work for any clown:
    He ran and laughed behind a bee,
    And danced for very ecstasy.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Looks lovely, Cynthia. We love our poppy, bone china mugs, bought from the local market some years ago. (Half the price of those sold by Amazon.) Sadly the dealer no longer comes so we can't get you any to go with your lovely cushions.

Red is such a cosy colour, too.
      Last edited by NomadSue; 26-09-2018, 11:27.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Wowee Cynthia!

How lovely that looks. I like the green seat covers setting it off as well.... What a difference a change of colour makes. Love it!

Comment

That is really lovely Cynthia, beautiful and bright

Comment

I really like that CyberCynth . It all tones in so well together

Comment

Thank you all for your kind remarks! I'm really pleased with myself for getting these cushion covers made. I've been really 'stuck' with my sewing the last few years and don't seem to achieve much, but now I have this (small) project finished it's given me the confidence to get on and do something else. I just wish the chap who's mending my sewing machine would get a move on.... My daughter has been very kind lending me her machine, but it's very basic; I want my husky back!

Next project - jiggle the green fabric about in the hope there's enough to cover the benches.

Sue NomadSue What a kind thought! Just as well you're NOT able to get any more bone china poppy mugs though, I'm not sure they'd survive being bumped about in the caravan! I seem to remember seeing some melamine ones in a caravan accessory shop somewhere. I might just treat myself if I can find them. Perhaps get more than two?! At the Taunton rally every time folks paid me a visit I had to ask them to bring their own mugs!

Off to Paignton in the 'van today, woo hoooo! ​​​​​​​
              Cynthia.

Comment

Flowers for a little flower Fleurette -- that ia very appropriate. Having spent an hour or so in your beautiful van may I say I am sure the soft furnishings will enhance it further.
                Jon
                Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                  Flowers for a little flower Fleurette -- that ia very appropriate. Having spent an hour or so in your beautiful van may I say I am sure the soft furnishings will enhance it further.
                  Jon
                  Thank you Jon kernowjon ! I have some further embellishments now - watch this space, as they say!
                  Cynthia.

Comment

Update!

I have been utilising the remains of the poppy fabric for one or two new items for my petite Fleurette, and there have been one or two other additions too. And if I can't jolly well post more than one photo at a time I will just have to make multiple posts! Here goes:
                    ​​
                    Well there's my poppy mug, kindly gifted to me by the lovely Gill Clarina ,also my poppy keyrings and the back of my poppy cushions now sporting a bow!
                    ​​
                    On the wall is a scrap of fabric rejigged to (just about) fit a decoupage heart - hence the lacy edging. Sewn onto the curtains are two crocheted poppies - two more on the offside! - Once again a gift from Gill - bless -
                    ​​
                    Well I'm just about poppied out now! Here's Echo's cushion, I'm currently working on a cross-stitch design to attach to it - with not a poppy in sight! On the floor is a quilted towelling mat, tailor made to be big enough to absorb a bit of a spillage but hopefully small enough to prevent me tripping over it, which is what I kept doing on my last outing, whilst using a makeshift folded towel.
                    ​​
                    The two plastic trays are actually from my grandchildren's craft cupboard; paint trays for use with their sculptured paint rollers! I was going to buy a free-standing caravan draining board but then decided I could utilise what I have at home already, so there's a little bit of money saved. I wonder how long it will take the children to notice their paint trays have gone missing.....

The clock on the top kitchen cupboard doesn't work as there is no battery cover for it, and duct tape doesn't seem to do the trick to hold the battery in place, so I'm looking for a clock of the same size to replace it. Well, there we are, almost all packed up and ready for my next outing, on Thursday!

Crikey, four photos uploaded.... When I press the blue button I shall probably get an error message coming up....
                    Thanks again to Gill, and also to Trish PHM for your company at Widdecombe Farm recently, for the lovely poppy contributions and for keeping me in cider for the duration!
                    Cynthia.
                    Well after jumping up and down and getting myself in a froth because this post wouldn't load, I wrote an ill-tempered complaint on the 'Issues using the forum' thread. came back to this thread and low and behold, the error message disappeared and up popped my post.
                    Sorry about the grumbles Graham and @Pauline.
                    Last edited by CyberCynth; 22-10-2018, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                      Update!
                      Sorry about the grumbles Graham and @Pauline.
                      Unfortunately it seems none of your photos can be accessed. Pity I like poppies.
                      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I wish I knew the exact steps someone takes prior to their photos not showing like this.

There must be a common step involved that causes it.

90% of members post photos without problem.

Comment

So why are they appearing in the post on my laptop, but others can't see them???

Trust me to be one of the 10% of the computer illiterati.

I wrote a bit of text, and then I clicked the 'Upload attachments' button, top right, next to the 'A'. Chose my photo from my photos file and double clicked it and hey presto, it uploaded. Then I wrote a bit more text and repeated the procedure above. - Three times. Then when I hit the blue 'reply' button I just got the error message; 'Please load at least one photo.' Ummm, Hello? I've just uploaded four.... Then threw a complete wobbly and got in a mood, grumbled in the 'issues using the forum' thread. Then, in frustration went back to this thread. Pressed 'Restore' and then the blue reply button, and that time the post loaded, complete with photos. Well, on my system they did anyway.

I give up. I know when I'm beaten. Why should I believe a mere humble mortal can get the better of a machine?
                          Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                            Trust me to be one of the 10% of the computer illiterati.
                            Cynthia, it's definitely not you. I have had this exact issue and I've spent 20 years of my working life in IT - I refuse to be classed as one of the computer illiterati

It think we've just got to take it as a quirk of the forum - there's lots good about the forum and if we have to just tiptoe around the photo uploads it's a small price to pay!

Comment

Awww that's a shame, I can't see your photos either, Cynthia! But well done anyway for getting it all sorted and co-ordinated! It sounds lovely from your description.

The clock in my sisters old caravan sounds similar... it did work, and she actually took the batteries out of the darned thing as it ticked too loudly and it was keeping her awake!

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X