freedom caravan owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freedom caravan owners

are there any freedom caravan owners out there who would like to share ideas about owning a freedom caravan
    BuzznDave

I think Caz had one at one time, Dave and Pat.
    I think they're pretty much the same as the Go-Pod you have now.

Comment

We've had a couple. A bit basic, but the Microlight towed happily behind a Morris Minor at about 50 mph. The Sunseeker was a bit heavier but still fairly light. Both are constructed with a single skin to keep weight down. I relined both inside because the cloth interior trim has a habit of falling off after a few years. There was a toilet compartment in the Sunseeker but not in the Microlight although it should be possible to make one. The shell is built like an egg with the fibreglass extending under the floor and wheel arches, so no problem with rotten floors and the body can be separated from the chassis and turned around if you want the door on the other side. Come to think of it, I should think it would be fairly simple job to mount the Microlight body onto a small vehicle to make a small motorhome, or even a demountable.

Comment

Yes, I've owned two in the past, a Microlite and a Sunseeker (although mine didn't have a loo compartment).

They may have improved a bit by now but the carpentry was a bit shoddy on mine. You can still get water ingress through light fittings if the seal fails (just take off and reseal) but apart from that they are usually bone dry. The stuff they were lined with was a foam backed brushed nylon and as Myke said it tends to fall off over time because the foam lining disintegrates from the heat of the sun o the roof. I have known quite a few who have re-lined them as Myke did.

The monocoque construction can be a nuisance e.g. you can't reach up through the floor to get to the back of the sink or anything, and it would make the fitting of heaters etc difficult.

Comment

I had a Sunseeker again we had to reline the interior.
          The same importer also impots Sterckeman caravans, which are also very lightweight but I believe slightly higher quality in the construction. I think the importer / main agent is near Stafford.
          https://www.sterckeman-caravans.co.uk/
          Jon

Comment

Hi Dave Stringer and Pat Smith , have you gone off the idea of the French pop-tops, like my Fleurette? Better finish than the Freedoms but not one-piece, so possible problems with the floor going squidgy, as has mine (in for repair for that reason at the moment!) but apart from that they seem very well made, plenty of oldies still about which is testimony to their longevity. And very light for their size.

If you want to stick with something lightweight you could have a look at the Goburs, or one of the French look-alikes. Folding caravans can be a bit of a faff if you're on your own but would be a lot quicker in set-up time with two of you, and very economical to tow, because apart from the light weight you have virtually no wind resistance. You may have to change units a couple of times before finding what is right for you, as we all have our own priorities and 'wish lists'. Also, a lot depends on the length of your outings; the folder no longer suited me as I can usually only get away for about 3 days at a time and it seemed too much of a faff setting up/packing, but if I had a week at a time for camping I'd have stuck with the Gobur; perhaps just swapping it for a bigger one. After a couple of changes of my units, I wouldn't change my Fleurette now for anything else as it's ticking all the boxes!

Good luck with your search. Keep us updated with your choice, we're a nosy lot on here!
            Cynthia

Comment

Yes they have improved ,shower in a bathroom. hot water .oven .heating . large double bed or two 6ft singles led lighting.look at Jetstream twin sport.?
              BuzznDave

Comment

Thanks Cynthia all winter to look before next season, we only went away 90 nights last year.
                BuzznDave

Comment

Hi both, my step-daughter has ordered a new Freedom Discovery, while at the NEC. We went especially to look at them as she has been thinking about it for a few years, her husband is not interested in caravanning so she wanted something she could manage on her own! The one she has ordered is the pop top, 2 berth with toilet, she is also getting a motor mover fitted and an awning etc as part of the package!

We were very impressed with them, and the salesman was very helpful, he is from their Stafford dealership, gave her until a week after the show had finished to decide and still have the deal! She is hoping to have it in April, so quite a long waiting list!

We are aiming to do some weekends together,as she is still working! Me in my campervan with my dog, and Gerry in her Freedom with her dog!

We did look at the slightly larger 2 berth with toilet, so although could have 2 single beds she was more confident that she could manage the smaller one!

Good luck with your seach!

Gill

Comment

Dp5nIy8XQAAtEmc.jpg-large.jpeg very nice for 2 and 2 dogs wash room on top left shower for sandy dogs .oven for the cook. blown air heating for the old man?
                    BuzznDave

Comment

Very, very nice indeed

Comment

Yes, I think they have probably come on leaps and bounds since my old ones were made. I think they were early - mid 90s models.

The picture certainly looks very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          Yes, I think they have probably come on leaps and bounds since my old ones were made. I think they were early - mid 90s models.

The picture certainly looks very nice.
                          Don't forget history, the original ones were designed and built in Poland when it was Communist remember FSO and Polski Fiat cars - the Polish versions of Lada! So realistically you would net expect models produced over 20 years after Poland became capitalist to be the same. I only hope they have retained the very thick GRP skin (thicker than the skin of my Romahome pod) the running gear was pretty good too.
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stringer and Pat Smith View Post
                            are there any freedom caravan owners out there who would like to share ideas about owning a freedom caravan
                            I had one a couple of years ago, whilst I still had the Romini. Was undecided which one to keep, but the Romini won. I like the Freedom(I had the jetsream model)Roomy, nice shower compartment, made of fibreglass, easy to tow. The interior liner is not carpet as in the romini, but a removeable sponge like cover, handy if there is any kind of damage. The spare wheel is located underneath the van and looks like it is not easy to access when needed.
                            Pam

Comment

The spare wheel is in the cavernous gas locker in the freedom twin sport .,And underneath in the Go pod a swine to remove....Hi JJ, I don't think the twin sport is any think like the go pod the two small pop freedoms are similar as they have pop tops and low height..But the 3 larger freedoms they are full size you can walk front to back and side to side without ow! bang head .So yes Cynthia we are looking at small caravans not a pop-top or folding < as they say watch this space ,we will be going to climb all over one soon ,and then we will see ,also have a motor home and a caravan to sell Mine and Pats.hi Gill good luck to your step daughter with hers. Thanks to all those who posted on this topic we are now planning next years travels and adventures ( in a field !!) Pat ,Dave ,Tilly ,Buzz.
                              BuzznDave

Comment