A fortnight in Berwick upon Tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fortnight in Berwick upon Tweed

As the title suggests, we have just returned from a fortnight at the caravan club site at Berwick upon Tweed. The site is about a 20 minute walk from the town centre and overlooks the harbour. The site seems to be in the middle of a council estate and is definitely not a rural retreat. But don't let that put you off, we think it's well worth a visit for it's views and the surrounding area. The site is about 10 mins off the A1, 20 -30 mins from holy island, bamburgh and seahouses. The site has typical cc facilities and the wardens are helpful and friendly, with a relaxed approach to unit placing on pitches. They are happy for you to nose on to enjoy the views, which if you are lucky and with a decent pair of binoculars, might include a seal or 2!!

We had mixed weather the 1st week so spent it in Berwick, around site and walking on quite deserted beaches. The 2nd week gave us almost continual dry, sunny weather. We had a brilliant boat trip to the farne islands, seeing lots of birdlife and seals, a day on lindisfarne, a trip to cragside ( a national trust house, garden and estate) and more time enjoying the quite sandy beaches the area has in abundance.

In, fact it was that good we are going again later in the year!!

Photo's to follow soon.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the North East area, guess it was your first major outing in the caravan. We were thinking of heading up to Seahouses last week but finished up in Aberdaron/Lleyn Penninsular instead, both areas are quiet at this time of year and, as you say, it is just great walking on empty beaches/cliff tops. We could well try Berwick later on in the season, although Sandra has already lots of trips planned and we seem to have been all over the place so far this year!!

Comment

Hi Glenn

I've seen that site in the CC book and thought how nice it sounds but it is good to get a personal recommendation, I think I will have to put it in to our "must do" list.

We have missed our annual two week holiday, as it fell right in the middle of of our move but hope to get a way in August.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

It's a shame you missed out on your summer hols but I'm sure the new house is worth it! Here are a few photo's from the site, to whet your appitite:so happy:

I will post some photo's of the area too, when I get them onto the pc, these photo's were all taken on my phone!

A pitch with a view.

What will tomorrow bring???

What a difference a day makes......

But every cloud has a silver lining!!
        Last edited by glenw; 07-07-2011, 17:13.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Lovely photo's Glen! I love the view as well.

I was wondering where there was a nice campsite with a view of the sea - I'm bored with the usual field views! So much so, in fact that I've just ordered a book from Amazon (thru the link on this site) entitled, 'Sea View Camping Britain' so I'm waiting for that to arrive!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-View-Cam...0114495&sr=8-1
          Last edited by jayjay; 08-07-2011, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            Lovely photo's Glen! I love the view as well.

I was wondering where there was a nice campsite with a view of the sea - I'm bored with the usual field views! So much so, in fact that I've just ordered a book from Amazon (thru the link on this site) entitled, 'Sea View Camping Britain' so I'm waiting for that to arrive!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-View-Cam...0114495&sr=8-1
            So that was you Jayjay, thanks for using the forum link.

Glen - the pictures are great, certainly whetted my appetite.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We did all that area last year Glen. Some beautiful scenary but we thought Seahouses was a strange place. Kinda like "Your not local are you" Our weather was the same. hit & miss but still a very good trip. We like the Dunstan Hill camp site also not far from Holy Island. A little walk down a lane and through a farmyard and onto the beach. One of these days we will get to go detecting on those fields, when it stops raining long enough .

Comment

Seahouses had 1 big draw for me, the boats to the farne islands leave from there!!! And being a birder a trip was a must and well worth it too, although it does feel like you are intruding when you land on the island.
                The trip we went on was on one of Billy Sheils boats, glad tidings. It lasted about 2 1/2 hours with an hour on inner farne. It went round all the islands, with the skipper pointing out various birds, seals and points of interest like lighthouses etc and giving a history of human habitation of the islands and the famous Grace Darling rescue. The crew were very helpful and accommodating, we were able to leave Evie in her pram for the entire trip, although she soon wanted to get out to have a look around at all the seabirds etc.
                Once on the island(there is a landing charge to consider if you are not national trust members) there are boardwalks around the island with fairly easy access - we had Evie in her pram and had no problems. The island is teeming with birds. Arctic terns instantly dive bomb you to drive you away from their chicks which are often wondering about on the boardwalk. A hat is highly recommended as they do strike, a coat that you don't mind getting splatted too is a good idea, they are a good aim!! Sandwich terns nest in a colony, ignored by most of the trippers, who headed straight to the puffins and their brightly coloured beaks and comic-like antics. The cliffs have shag, kittiwake, guillimots and razorbills and the national trust volunteers are on hand to answer questions.
                Everyone instantly becomes a bird photographer, they are that close! But the hour was up far to soon for me, I could have stayed their for hours just sitting and watching.
                It was then back to the boat and the hop back to seahouses for a fish n chip tea, watching the eiders in the harbour.

Comment

fortnight in berwick

Hi Glen
                  I took the same boat trip when I stayed at Dunstan Hill. I enjoyed it so much that I went out again next day! Special magic experience. In fact I think I may have posted before that I thought the whole Northumberland coast was stunning. I would love to go again but it was a long journey on the dreaded motorways!

Comment

Originally posted by pendel View Post
                    ... Seahouses was a strange place. Kinda like "Your not local are you" ...
                    Never had that reaction myself and we go to that area regularly. Whenever we go to shop in Seahouses I get the impression 75% of the people there aren't local!

Maybe local starts at the Tyne, that might do it!

Incidentally, when we did the Farnes boat trip about three years back, the NT were doing an offer. Join there and they'd refund the landing fee AND deduct the price of the boat trip! Sue worked out that if you were buying a student membership they'd owe you money! I don't know if this is a regular deal though.

The stretch of coast from Craster to Holy Island is probably my favourite place on earth. In fact we've just booked to go back to Dunstan Hill in early August. Unfortunately a week early to meet up at Beal!

Geoff
                    Geoff

Comment

A few more photo's

Deserted beaches....

Relaxing in the rockpools

Bamburgh castle

Comment

and a few more

Lindisfarne priory

Lindisfarne castle, from the priory

And looking back from the castle to the priory!

Cragside

One of Cragsides 'favourite' residents!

Comment

Brilliant!!

Di.

Comment

I too love the area. Cragside is my very favourite National Trust property. I always stay at Dunstan Hill.
                            Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Love your photos!! We are going up to a site really close to Holy Island in August. I think it's a C&CC holiday site. Really looking forward to it and your photos have made me even more excited!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X