Awning rail question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awning rail question

In my 9 years of Romini ownership. I have never needed to thread an awning through an awning rail. With he elddis Wisp I now have, I have a porch awning. Thought I would try it out yesterday. Not easy sliding through rail. Probably need some lubricant.

Anyway. I read that someone with the same problem, should start the smaller porch awning further up the awning rail, instead of the bottom. Not so far to travel. Looking at my awning rail I see that there are Two areas near the base of awning rail on either side snd two areas near top, opposite each other, which are wider. I thought this was damage to the rail but they look to uniform. Is this an new innovation in awning rails I knew nothing about or is it truly a damaged awning rail

Pam

Not damage, it is for threading in porch or sun awninfgs.
    You can get a brush to clean the rail and your favourite furniture polish is good for lubrication

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
      Not damage, it is for threading in porch or sun awninfgs.
      You can get a brush to clean the rail and your favourite furniture polish is good for lubrication
      Yes just found that out. Seems simple really. Wish I’d known that yesterday. Will be much easier the next time
      Pam

Comment

If you don't mind the smell, and a little staining maybe, then WD40 does the job.
        Too old to know everything!

Comment

Go with Peter, Pam. Any spray polish will do the job. As Jimbro says, WD40 will stain.

Comment

I’d read that Pledge with silicone would work. But checking in Asda yesterday, could only find Pledge without silicone. I’m off to B and M soon. zmight be something in there

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by pamsicle View Post
              I’d read that Pledge with silicone would work. But checking in Asda yesterday, could only find Pledge without silicone. I’m off to B and M soon. zmight be something in there

Pam
              Or just get a silicone spray from a car shop. I found ordinary furniture polish worked well on mine, just a supermarket brand with no silicone.

I have some of the WD40 silicone spray as occasionally my accelerator pedal sticks and this always puts a stop to it. Might try a bit on the caravan rail this year! Expensive stuff though.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wd-40-spe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Here’s another question. Took both rear grab handles off to clean. One was loose and two of the screw holes are not holding the screws. Methinks there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. Wondered if access could be gained via the external fridge vent. Wondered if anyone had a tually taken one off. Pam
                4AA3403D-E6E6-4616-9713-5C1D4098DBAA.jpegCA705DD2-704F-4A10-95DD-80C00613BFAD.jpeg

Comment

You can buy awning rail lubricant from many caravan accessory shops. Regards Robin
                  Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by pamsicle View Post
                    Here’s another question. Took both rear grab handles off to clean. One was loose and two of the screw holes are not holding the screws. Methinks there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. Wondered if access could be gained via the external fridge vent. Wondered if anyone had a tually taken one off. Pam
                    4AA3403D-E6E6-4616-9713-5C1D4098DBAA.jpegCA705DD2-704F-4A10-95DD-80C00613BFAD.jpeg
                    This happened with my caravan. I fixed it by using a size larger screws and putting a smidge of gorilla glue in the screw hole before screwing the grab handle back on again. Probably a bit of sealent will do the same job. It's been ok for some years now, Pam.

Don't take the others off to clean them if they are ok - If it ain't broken, don't fix it, Pam!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Or just get a silicone spray from a car shop. I found ordinary furniture polish worked well on mine, just a supermarket brand with no silicone.

I have some of the WD40 silicone spray as occasionally my accelerator pedal sticks and this always puts a stop to it. Might try a bit on the caravan rail this year! Expensive stuff though.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wd-40-spe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                      You can always use a bit of Mr Sheen in a fix, it contains silicone aswell as the polish elements.

I find WD40 is dirty. I prefer GT85 https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT85-Spray-...f=cts_sp_1_vtp Althought I often find my can is empty and I always seem to be able to lay my hand on a can of WD40. I lubricate my house door hinges with a drop of sunflower oil on a paper towel and rub it into the hinge, my grandfather taught me that trick.

Oh dear just see that someone has already said this re mr sheen.
                      Last edited by llywelyn1984; 25-04-2019, 14:28.

Comment