What age is my caravan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What age is my caravan?

I have a Swift Challenger 390/2 which I am 'restoring' to some extent. That means it is 3.9 metres long inside, and 2 berth. I am wondering how old it is. I saw this youtube of a 1989 one and it has a lot of newer features than mine such as hot and cold water, a full cooker whereas mine has separate oven and hob, and the youtube one has a fixed cassette toilet and mine has a portapotti. I can easily see why an owner of mine would be tempted to upgrade to the 1989 model. Mine has an older style of corner handle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJpxKFhSK8
    My tow ball hook (AlKo) has a date stamp on it of 1985 but I am not sure that means the caravan was made in 1989. It might mean the caravan is a 1985 model though - does anyone know?.
    If you are wondering why I am bothering with it, it is because it has an AlKo aluminium chassis so there is no corrosion, all the exterior screws holding trim on are stainless steel so they unscrew, the floor is solid as the day it was made, and the walls and floor have styrene insulation. I am in the process of removing the outside joint strips and resealing them because in a couple of places damp has got in and softened the inside plywood which I will replace.
    Well you have to have something to do to pass the time don't you?

Anyone got any idea how to date this caravan?
    Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

There's a metal plate on the front of one side of my caravan, which has the date as well as the info on laden and unladen weights and nose weight. I think! Will go and check later!

Comment

Interesting
      We use to have a Swift Silhouette built on that same aluminium chassis, we originally looked at a later model but it was built on a galvanised chassis and that made it too heavy for our car. The ally version was lighter. I cannot remember the years but the caravan was getting on when we bought it and we had it 12 years before selling it on to a friend. The only problem we ever had with it was some slight damp in the toilet compartment caused by failed mastic in a joint. I caught it before the rot had set in and it was a straightforward repair.

It was an excellent caravan and as far as I can remember the challenger was built at the same time and was just a slightly different layout.

Peter

Comment