Back to the darkside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the darkside

When I joined this forum I had a small caravan, then I got a campervan and became a proper Small Motorhomer. :so happy:

Sadly my campervan didn't make it through at MOT time and apparently needs thousands (which I haven't got) spending, so I have reluctantly pensioned him off to the great campervan home in the sky - and have bought myself another little caravan.

So it's back to this part of the forum for me.

My new baby is a 1993 Freedom Sunseeker 400, got him yesterday and love him already.

Awww Caz, sorry to hear that.

On another note though, the little freedom caravans are lovely, especially the Sunseekers. I went to Stafford to see the new ones, oo they are a price!

I was reading somewhere that you could make quite a bit of money selling all the bits and bobs from your motorhome before you scrap it... like the fridge for eg.

I can't make my mind up which is best, the campervan or the caravan. I hate the hitching and pitching process at beginning and end of a caravan holiday - but you have the car when you get there (detachable) so it's easier on site as you don't have to pack everything away to go out somewhere. But I miss my little campervan just for ease of jumping in and setting off somewhere!

It's certainly cheaper to have a caravan, at least you don't have to tax and MOT it, or even insure if you don't want to!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your campervan but glad you have got sorted with a caravan and are going to continue camping, we need some more caravanners chatting on here anyway.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Our first caravan was a Freedom - good value for money and easy to tow.

Jayjay if you think that they are expensive new go and look at the cheapest british caravans. You need a mortgage to buy new.

Comment

The Freedoms seem to hold their prices well - and at the age of vans I was looking at most of the "normal" ones had big damp problems.

It had to be an old one because I couldn't afford a newer one, also most "normal" vans post mid 90s are too heavy for my little car to pull.

I don't know why none of the British manufacturers don't make light vans anymore for those of us who have to have a smaller car.

In this day and age of eco-friendly awareness, not to mention the cost of fuel, there has to be a market for small light caravans.

Comment

Just noticed I should change my avatar, but I don't want to get rid of my campervan totally!

Jayjay you are right about the value of the bits - the garage said they could get a man to tow it away free of charge - yeah, right! I'm going to sell him spares or repair rather than break him, for someone who could do the repairs themself it would be worthwhile, but not for me with garage labour costs at between £40 - £80 per hour.

I'd rather see him go to a good home in one piece, even if I don't get as much that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
              The Freedoms seem to hold their prices well - and at the age of vans I was looking at most of the "normal" ones had big damp problems.

It had to be an old one because I couldn't afford a newer one, also most "normal" vans post mid 90s are too heavy for my little car to pull.

I don't know why none of the British manufacturers don't make light vans anymore for those of us who have to have a smaller car.

In this day and age of eco-friendly awareness, not to mention the cost of fuel, there has to be a market for small light caravans.
              The freedoms are the exception to the rule with older caravans - and they are amde from GRP so unlikely ever to leak! I was looking at buying one when I decided I wanted a Kip instead - although I would have been better off buying a Freedom. I'm still trying to 'cure' a leak in mine....

It seems to be the case that small light caravans are no longer made in the UK - it seems the manufacturers have gone for the all singing and dancing heavy versions, with microwave and full cooker and so on. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you need an almighty big tow car for them!

You have to look towards the continental caravans for lightness and ease of towing it seems.

Good luck with selling your camper for spares and repairs, Caz.

Comment

You've had a freedom before haven't you Caz. You must like them to buy another. I must say they are cute!
                Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Yes, I used to have a Microlite - the pop top one, loved that too but my teenage son got too tall for it. He doesn't come away with me much now.

Comment

I think the heavy modern caravans are a sign of changing requirements.
                    Caravanning used to be a cheap holiday option. Often the only way people could afford an extended holiday.
                    Now?? Everyone seems to want all the luxuries of home, including patio tables and chairs, sunshades, a nice little fence around "their" patch and on, and on, and....
                    I am rather surprised modern caravans don't have a Downstairs for the domestics!
                    I'm sure the only caravan manufacturers still with us know the market and produce to suit.
                    Who else but me just wants somewhere to boil a kettle and lay my contented head?
                    Jim.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                      I think the heavy modern caravans are a sign of changing requirements.
                      Caravanning used to be a cheap holiday option. Often the only way people could afford an extended holiday.
                      Now?? Everyone seems to want all the luxuries of home, including patio tables and chairs, sunshades, a nice little fence around "their" patch and on, and on, and....
                      I am rather surprised modern caravans don't have a Downstairs for the domestics!
                      I'm sure the only caravan manufacturers still with us know the market and produce to suit.
                      Who else but me just wants somewhere to boil a kettle and lay my contented head?
                      Jim.
                      I think you're right, Jim.

Tents have gone the same way - huge great things with EHUs, they take microwaves and everything with them nowadays. Glamping I think they call it.

Comment

Welcome to the darkside caz, lovely here ain't it!!:so happy:

Twolitre- not quite a downstairs for the domestics, but not far off!!
                        http://m.luxurylaunches.com/transpor...an_for_now.php
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                          Welcome to the darkside caz, lovely here ain't it!!:so happy:

Twolitre- not quite a downstairs for the domestics, but not far off!!
                          http://m.luxurylaunches.com/transpor...an_for_now.php
                          Oh my GAWD!!!!!
                          Jim.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Mmm, it should have servants quarters in that for the Chauffeur I'd need - or maybe he/she could rig up a bed in the tractor unit?

Very nice, but totally impractical for most British campsites.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                              Mmm, it should have servants quarters in that for the Chauffeur I'd need - or maybe he/she could rig up a bed in the tractor unit?

Very nice, but totally impractical for most British campsites.
                              And most British roads - imagine trying to tow that in Wales, or Cornwall for example!

Whatever next - a swimming pool?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X