Freedom Caravans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
    Personally I don't believe there is such a thing as the habitation door having a 'wrong' or a 'right' side. The only occasion on which a habitation door on the nearside is a virtue is if you stop in a layby in the UK which is right next to the road. Or, as Cynthia points out, it might be against the wall where you park it at home. There isn't a camp site where the door side is of any relavance at all. If you need to get in or out of one on the off side in the UK, you have to pay the same attention to the traffic as if you are getting in and out of your driver's seat in the car. To me it matters not a jot or a tittle which side the door is on. . . . and then of course some have the door at the back, which has other potential benefits and problems.

PS I have had a pop top caravan, I seem to remember it was a very small Swift......
    I beg your pardon then gasgas , I don't remember you ever mentioning a pop top in your myriad list of camping units owned! I didn't know Swift had ever made one.

I was lucky to get a Fleurette with an offside door as I think the year after mine was manufactured the models imported to the UK had their doors on the nearside.
    ​​​​​​​Cynthia

Comment

Sorry, I now recall I think it was a CI Sprite, not a Swift. Well it starts with an S, what more do you want?
      It was the Sprite Compact, like this one - scroll down from the advert which says it is no longer available.
      https://www.gumtree.com/p/caravans/r...van/1334102487
      I don't know how the dimensions and weight compare with the fancy new ones people are talking about on this thread, I am not up to date.

Having said I owned one I don't think I ever used it. I probably took it in part exchange for something, and then sold it.

I have probably had "I don't know how many cars, caravans, campervans, motorhomes", and a speed boat. Actually strange you should say I haven't listed it in the classics department, I was only wondering the other day when I was out on my bike if it would be possible to remember all the vehicles I owned.
      The first was a 1958 Vespa 125 . . . .
      The worst to drive was a rear engined Skoda. The second worst to drive was a 2019 Jaguar. Fastest: Honda VFR 800. Slowest: 1952 FX3 London Taxi. Rod operated brakes!
      But we had better stop there.
      All streams flow to the sea, yet the sea is never full. Ecclesiastes Ch 1

Comment

My Rapido caravan is more or less identical to Cinthia's Fleurette and it has the door on the right side. That is to say that the door is on the left side, which is the right side if you live in UK. It matters not a jot once you get parked up on a camp site, but if for any reason, you need to get into your caravan or Motorhome in mid journey, it is safest to have the door next to the curb. Even more dangerous is getting out of the van into fast flowing traffic which you can't see until you open the door - by which time it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
          My Rapido caravan is more or less identical to Cinthia's Fleurette and it has the door on the right side. That is to say that the door is on the left side, which is the right side if you live in UK. It matters not a jot once you get parked up on a camp site, but if for any reason, you need to get into your caravan or Motorhome in mid journey, it is safest to have the door next to the curb. Even more dangerous is getting out of the van into fast flowing traffic which you can't see until you open the door - by which time it's too late.
          MYKE that is the only disadvantage to the Fleurette's offside door, when travelling. I always try to ensure, if I need to pull into a layby that it's a good deep one, so that I'm unlikely to get the door knocked off by passing traffic! Though I think it was gasgas that pointed out that the car driver has to get out of his vehicle from the offside anyway?

I think Rapido have stopped making caravans now haven't they? Concentrating on motorhome manufacture. They certainly stopped making the Fleurette range once they'd bought the company out. Get rid of the competition an' all that....

Apologies to the original poster as we've gone off-topic again!
          Cynthia.

Comment

Back when we had the Esterelle right hand (continental) door on a couple of sites wardens moaned our door was wrong and spoilt the symmetry of their pitching. In fact we had the same pan with the Freedom on one occasion.
            Just a case of anal wardens
            jon
            Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
              Back when we had the Esterelle right hand (continental) door on a couple of sites wardens moaned our door was wrong and spoilt the symmetry of their pitching. In fact we had the same pan with the Freedom on one occasion.
              Just a case of anal wardens
              jon
              I bet that was a Club site, not a commercial one?!

Comment

Personally I don't believe there is such a thing as the habitation door having a 'wrong' or a 'right' side. The only occasion on which a habitation door on the nearside is a virtue is if you stop in a layby in the UK which is right next to the road. Or, as Cynthia points out, it might be against the wall where you park it at home. There isn't a camp site where the door side is of any relavance at all. If you need to get in or out of one on the off side in the UK, you have to pay the same attention to the traffic as if you are getting in and out of your driver's seat in the car. To me it matters not a jot or a tittle which side the door is on. . . . and then of course some have the door at the back, which has other potential benefits and problems.

PS I have had a pop top caravan, I seem to remember it was a very small Swift......
                Au contraire, gasgas, pitch no 4 on Camping la Chaumiere can only be used if you have a right hand side door.
                or, of course if you have a sensible van, like my Royale, which has a door on BOTH sides!

Comment

Some sites wort caravan and motor club. did not like rear door van sorry Gerry off topic also . . I hope you found our ideas some use
                  Last edited by Dave and Pat; 19-05-2020, 09:13.
                  BuzznDave

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post

Au contraire, gasgas, pitch no 4 on Camping la Chaumiere can only be used if you have a right hand side door.
                    or, of course if you have a sensible van, like my Royale, which has a door on BOTH sides!
                    They won't like my AutoSleeper then!
                    I'll cross that off my list of sites . . . Which didn't have any on it anway. Not ones where you have to pay, I mean.

Thinks - why pitch 4 at Camping la Chaumiere? Is it on the edge of a cliff? Even so, if it were, that would be the first time anyone French has bothered about safety.

Comment

They won't like my AutoSleeper then!
                      I'll cross that off my list of sites . . . Which didn't have any on it anway. Not ones where you have to pay, I mean.

Thinks - why pitch 4 at Camping la Chaumiere? Is it on the edge of a cliff? Even so, if it were, that would be the first time anyone French has bothered about safety.
                      No gasgas, the pitches are all hedged and on that one the hedge is tight on the left side of the hard-standing.
                      With a motorhome you could of course drive onto the pitch, then your door would open onto the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

I bet that was a Club site, not a commercial one?!
                        You win that bet Camping and Caravan Club - one near Haltwhistle and Bodmin
                        And Bude a while later (ex Bodmin Warden - Freedom) - thjey liked draw bars and doors all the same
                        Jon

Comment

Our very first caravan had the door on the "wrong" side, both my Freedoms did as well.

Never had a problem on any C&CC sites with them. CaMC might have been a different ballgame as they are very particular.

Comment

This is a risky post but emmerson and gasgas I think you may need to rethink aspirations about foreign travel in 2020

As you are no doubt aware on return from France you would have to go into 14 days quarantine. Travel in certain parts of France are still restricted
                            https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...ry-lifts-lock/

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

I'll make no other comments for fear this could be classed as political.
                            Except to say as some restrictions are being lifted in England many MPs (from conservative voting areas) are asking for restrictions on the distance from home people can travel - figures being quoted are between 25 and 100 miles.
                            Jon

Comment

I would think the biggest risk would be becoming ill . the advantage of a caravan or motor home is self isolation . and not touching any surface etc on a ferry cafe shop etc. Is the risk worth the gamble ? So yes a very risky post. the post has as they often do gone way off topic .So Gerry PM me if you want talk about the Freedoms .Dave/ Pat. on the going out Cumbria police are visiting lakes beauty spots also there are road blocks this weekend. I would like a run out myself . I don't think taking the caravan for exercise would work . I could try taking it for a cruise. .seriously though planing a trip is good fun as is a new van from scratch . now on to a boat for the rivers done the canal one . Finding the money Buzz was my best chance .Still exercising the imagination is good fun .Thanks GandP for the idea .
                              BuzznDave

Comment

Jon- I have no aspirations whatever for travelling anywhere in 2020, in a caravan, motorhome, canal boat, cruise or anything other than a two wheeler for a day out. MIL is staying with us till she goes to meet her maker and therefore the motorhome is up on axle stands, untaxed, uninsured and un-MOTd, plugged into the mains and that is it.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X