As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yah hey! Think I finally cured the leak!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah hey! Think I finally cured the leak!!

For those of you who don't know, I've had an ongoing leak problem with my Kip caravan ever since I had it. Sicaflex sealant stopped the major leaks apparant when I bought it (buyer beware!!), but there was a continual niggling one, coming in from where the pop top canvas joins the metal roof, which ran along a little shelf at the top. Not serious and soon mopped up in wet weather but needed sorting.

Tried all sorts of sealents, primers, tenacious tape and so on with no sucess. Apart from taking off the roof and going from there (not really an option for little me - and can't afford to take it somewhere to get it done) I was clueless and beginning to despair of ever getting to the bottom of it. In really heavy downpours there was always the option of closing the pop top so it didn't leak in, but you can't stand up then, so ok for night, but not in the day....

AT LAST! I found out it was coming in along the hinge... (not at the sides where I thought). There is some sort of sealent strip underneath the hinge, but obviously not doing a good job. Thought about it for quite a while - then I bought some Gorilla Tape and taped along the 'seam' all the way across the inside.

I got the hosepipe out yesterday (I thought it might be better than waiting to go away and it raining!) and at last - success!!

Gorilla tape is amazing stuff. I'd recommend everyone to carry a roll. It's approx 20 times stronger and stickier than duck tape and sticks anything to anything.

Going to try the hosepipe again tomorrow... as I still can't believe I've actually cracked it until I've tested it again!:so happy:

And if it really is working, then I'm going to repaper the inside walls... another day, another long story....

Well done.

No more en suite showers then?
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Lol Graham! At last year's Moira Furnace festival it poured down and didn't we know it! We were thinking of charging for showers in the van that time! The rain was finding it's way along the shelf and down one of the spotlights. We taped a bag over it and in the morning we had enough for a goldfish!

Comment

Success Jayjay!
        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

note to self! Gorilla tape added to glovebox inventory Lol.

Comment

OH POO!

Just been out to the caravan, to start the prep as I had decided to paint the inside walls.....

Just thought to check on the gorilla tape repair and yes, it was holding well. No water on the inside... however.

The little bit of veneer behind the tape needed taking off altogether, it warped as it dried out. So I decided to take off a layer of tape and take that off, then reseal with new tape... only to find out the water was still coming in, only staying behind the tape. The first layer of tape I pulled off had rusty marks from the little staples holding on the veneer... funny, I thought.

I can attest to the sticking strength of gorilla tape as I had to use pliers to pull it off, took me half an hour to get it off again. And underneath was wet as wet can be. But not wet on the inside.

Have ordered some Capt Tolleys creeping cure stuff, so will see if that makes any difference when it arrives. I could scream!

And now I have to eat my hat, as I said I would if this didn't work. Perhaps I will eat it for tea.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              OH POO!

Just been out to the caravan, to start the prep as I had decided to paint the inside walls.....

Just thought to check on the gorilla tape repair and yes, it was holding well. No water on the inside... however.

The little bit of veneer behind the tape needed taking off altogether, it warped as it dried out. So I decided to take off a layer of tape and take that off, then reseal with new tape... only to find out the water was still coming in, only staying behind the tape. The first layer of tape I pulled off had rusty marks from the little staples holding on the veneer... funny, I thought.

I can attest to the sticking strength of gorilla tape as I had to use pliers to pull it off, took me half an hour to get it off again. And underneath was wet as wet can be. But not wet on the inside.

Have ordered some Capt Tolleys creeping cure stuff, so will see if that makes any difference when it arrives. I could scream!

And now I have to eat my hat, as I said I would if this didn't work. Perhaps I will eat it for tea.
              I can supply various recipes for cooked hats Jayjay,I have to eat them on a regular basis,thats when I can get my big foot out of my mouth!
              Stick with it girl,you have put too much into it to give up now.
              Goodluck,its about time you had some.
              Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                I can supply various recipes for cooked hats Jayjay,I have to eat them on a regular basis,thats when I can get my big foot out of my mouth!
                Stick with it girl,you have put too much into it to give up now.
                Goodluck,its about time you had some.
                Ian
                Awww thankee Ian. I was very this afternoon, felt like towing it to the nearest scrapyard and giving up! However, after I'd got over the tantrums, I thought of the creeping crack cure. If that doesn't work, then I shall just put some more gorilla tape on and ignore it forever, until the front falls off. Might put some gorilla tape on the outside as well and pretend it's a trim! LOL! It's sooooo iritating knowing the rain is seeping in somewhere and I don't know where! But I love my little Kip to bits.

The alternative is of course to take it to a caravan centre and have them take the roof off and sort it out properly... however, I don't think I could afford the repair, and of course they wouldn't guarantee that either, with it being a very old crappy van, oops - I mean a 'classic'.

Comment

twin1

Sorry you are still having problems. My but you made us laugh with the gorilla tape and pliers. I could see it all.
                  Hope you get sorted soon.yes we shall have a roll in our glove box too.

Comment

Would it be worth toying with the idea of parking UNDER your awning / a gazebo, when the inclement weather strikes? Just a thought.

Must be SO maddening for you.

--------------
                    Re the recipes for eating socks and hats, would they be dairy-free vegetarian, by any chance? Am looking for new ideas for Christmas meals!
                    Last edited by NomadSue; 06-11-2011, 23:16. Reason: additional comment
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

On no I didn't cure it!

Twin - he he you should have seen me! I had made such a good job of putting it on. It's exremely strong and waterproof, and I had used three strips - one in the middle and two overlapping at either side. A very good neat repair if I say so myself. But trying to get it off again was a nightmare! I can attest to the strength and adhesion qualities!

And it didn't let the water in. I thought it was actually keeping the water out, but no - still seeping in somewhere behind it and rotting the veneer there. That's all out now. Just waiting for it to dry out and for the creeping crack cure to come.

Sue - I do have the option in inclement weather to pull the roof shut and that stops it coming in a bit. However that's only useful at night as you can't stand up in it without the pop top up! LOL. Many times I have thought about pushing it into the awning, particularly when we went to Beddgelert!

Funny enough me and my mate Linda were joking about making a shower cap for the van for this very reason... it's looking like a distinct possibility now! Just thinking about it makes me laugh!

When we were at Beddgelert in the early summer I put a tarp over the top, not because of the leaky bit, but just to deaden the sound the droplets from the trees were making, as they fell from a great height!

I think I need the front end shrink wrapping! HE HE HE
                      Last edited by jayjay; 07-11-2011, 10:12.

Comment

Do you have any pics of your Kip?

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix View Post
                          Do you have any pics of your Kip?
                          Hi Pheonix - here's a few for you! At Aberdaron, Wales at the end of July!

Well the creeping crack cure has arrived, so I'm hoping the inside of the caravan has dried out enough to use it today. Cross your fingers everyone!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jayjay; 09-11-2011, 09:25.

Comment

I can see why you love it, is the wet coming in under your tent edge?, or dont you know, is it quite lightweight to tow?

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix View Post
                              I can see why you love it, is the wet coming in under your tent edge?, or dont you know, is it quite lightweight to tow?
                              No, not the tent edge, Pheonix, the other end, where the roof is joined by the hinge to the front of the van.... It's very lightweight to tow, and is so aerodynamic and steady you don't know you're towing it! Even huge juggernaughts don't even make it wobble... I don't notice them until they have overtaken! Most of the time I stick to 56-60 mph on the motorways so they don't catch me! It weighs 400kg empty and has a max weight of 650kg.

And after applying the Tolleys, I managed to find one leak, behind a curtain of all places - and that needs to dry out inside until the spring before I can finish painting the inside. It was coming in through a front trim. BUT.... the leak I've have been trying so hard to find is STILL LEAKING!!!!! If I didn't love the darned thing, it would be curtains for me and it.

I will win. I WILL WIN. Or will be making a shower cap for the old girl if I concede defeat! LOL

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X