As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quirky!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Caz View Post
    I remember looking at one of these at a show some years ago. There are a bit like the ABI Adventurer was, and there was another continental one - Adria?

    Designed for the adventurous young yuppy couple with no kids, who like to go off cycling, mountain climbing, pot holing, canoeing etc and have something a bit more substantial than a tent to return to every night.

    I really liked them despite not being the target market.
    Another in this genre is the Swift Base Camp, small, fairly basic, lightweight and a very convenient rear door so that you could carry your bike (or surfboard) in it! I haven't seen many around though.

    I was thinking again about set-up/pack away times. Dave Dave and Pat is always shouting the odds about how quickly he can get set up when on site and I think that was one thing I liked about the Elddis I bought (nearly 3 years ago now!). Pitch, unhitch, steadies down, water connected, waste water container suitably placed, EHU if wanted and that was about it really. The Fleurette was a bit of a pain: although the pop top only took a few minutes to sort out, the top section of the loo compartment was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.... The Gobur was very time consuming because of all the cupboards that had to be refitted to the wall rails, and most of your other stuff had to travel in the car because of lack of space in the caravan once it was folded. However that had its advantages because of the ease of towing.

    So with a camper you've got to pitch, possibly level, you've still got water containers to sort out, unless you've got an onboard tank, and an EHU cable to unravel and plug in... Not a lot in it really, is there? I notice quite a few people with microcampers put up a tailgate awning of some sort: do you use one jayjay ? That must be a bit time consuming. One thing I didn't like about caravanning was how quickly it started growing green algae, especially on the roof, and it's a bit of a nightmare getting up on a stepladder to wash it off.

    Oh, and then there are my next door neighbours, who will grumble and mumble about me getting another caravan..... They claimed the Elddis spoiled their view, although with it not there, all they can see instead from their property is the side of my bungalow!

    Anyway, all this is just speculation at the moment.
    Cynthia

    Comment


      #17
      As you know we sold our R30 and have gone down the route of self catering, after 40 odd years of tents, trailer tents, caravans and motorhomes we thought we’d like a bit more comfort and we are enjoying it, we are still seeing different parts of the country in some lovely cottages and static vans, it is more expensive though but you have to pay for that added luxury and we are at a time in our lives when we are lucky enough to be able to afford it.

      Our next holiday will be in a static van on its own on a farm with stunning views, can’t wait.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Graham View Post
        As you know we sold our R30 and have gone down the route of self catering, after 40 odd years of tents, trailer tents, caravans and motorhomes we thought we’d like a bit more comfort and we are enjoying it, we are still seeing different parts of the country in some lovely cottages and static vans, it is more expensive though but you have to pay for that added luxury and we are at a time in our lives when we are lucky enough to be able to afford it.

        Our next holiday will be in a static van on its own on a farm with stunning views, can’t wait.
        I'm glad you're both enjoying your new choice of holiday accommodation Graham ! Perhaps you could write a review for us on the fairly newly formed Self Catering forum section!
        That is just the sort of static 'van holiday I'd prefer, rather than one stuck in a huge commercialised complex. I could be very rude and ask you about cost - whether it's a bit cheaper being a single unit. Or maybe you're having to pay a premium for that privacy and solitude!

        The beauty of a self catering unit of course is that you can usually book to stay any time of year, in fact you can get some good deals for booking 'off season'.

        Hope you enjoy your farm-based holiday!
        Cynthia

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post


          So with a camper you've got to pitch, possibly level, you've still got water containers to sort out, unless you've got an onboard tank, and an EHU cable to unravel and plug in... Not a lot in it really, is there? I notice quite a few people with microcampers put up a tailgate awning of some sort: do you use one jayjay ?
          No there's not a lot to it. I struggled so much with the caravan the last time I went out and came home that I decided that was IT. The micro camper is small (perhaps a bit too small!) but once packed, you just drive away. There are compromises with any unit, and the compromise with a camper is that you have to pack it down (and it my case, lower the roof as well) before you can use it as your car to go out for the day. However, this doesn't take long if you simply wing everything into the tent!

          I have a Quechua base seconds tent which I just put up at the side of my unit. It pops up in a few minutes, and pegged down in another five. Table and chair (and loo behind a lightweight curtain) go in there for daytime use. Why Quechua stopped making these is a total mystery to me, as the replacement is a blow up thing and a lot heavier. Mine was bought second user as you can't buy a new one these days!

          Yes you still have the ehu cable to plug in, and the water container to sort out. Exactly the same as with any other unit really, even a tent!

          I take a small container of water with me to a site. When I get there I can fill and put the kettle on without having to rush to set up the pump and water system. I use it to refill the larger onboard container, as carrying water is so heavy. It doesn't take long though.

          So get in and drive to where you are going. Park up (maybe using levellers, but haven't had to so far) and chuck all the camping gear outside. Connect EHU. Riase the pop top roof. Put the kettle on. Have a cuppa.
          Twang the tent up, set up table, chair and loo. Fill the water container later. Sort the loo out later. That's it.

          Claire CVJ helped me the first time to set up as we have similar set ups. And very thankful I was for the help! Especially the orientation of the Quechua. I think I would have struggled a lot more the first time without knowing how everything goes. ​​​​​​​

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

            I'm glad you're both enjoying your new choice of holiday accommodation Graham ! Perhaps you could write a review for us on the fairly newly formed Self Catering forum section!
            That is just the sort of static 'van holiday I'd prefer, rather than one stuck in a huge commercialised complex. I could be very rude and ask you about cost - whether it's a bit cheaper being a single unit. Or maybe you're having to pay a premium for that privacy and solitude!

            The beauty of a self catering unit of course is that you can usually book to stay any time of year, in fact you can get some good deals for booking 'off season'.

            Hope you enjoy your farm-based holiday!
            Cynthia
            CyberCynth I'll certainly be doing a review with a video after we've been, the cost is £40 per night all year round.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Graham View Post

              CyberCynth I'll certainly be doing a review with a video after we've been, the cost is £40 per night all year round.
              Well that doesn't seem too bad considering what some commercial caravan and camping sites are charging pn these days! I shall look forward to your review! The last time I stayed in a static caravan was about 6 years ago, maybe more, it cost me £140 for 4 nights then, so probably more expensive now, and that was off-season!
              Cynthia

              Comment


                #22
                Setting up a microcamper, in my experience, takes about 20 minutes - pop up and peg the Quechua, connect the ehu and fill a water container. Something slightly larger might take a little less time, as more storage means fewer things to move around. I wouldn't want the faff of a driveaway awning. I have never needed to use levellers, in fact I don't take them with me any more. Obviously, with fridges, I know levelling is important. No steadies to deal with either. Come the day my Quechua dies I'll be looking for a pop up utility tent.

                The big difference with a microcamper is you only have one vehicle to house, maintain and insure, they are great on days out, and there is no towing. The compromise is space, which can be added.
                Claire

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by CVJ View Post
                  Setting up a microcamper, in my experience, takes about 20 minutes - pop up and peg the Quechua, connect the ehu and fill a water container. Something slightly larger might take a little less time, as more storage means fewer things to move around. I wouldn't want the faff of a driveaway awning. I have never needed to use levellers, in fact I don't take them with me any more. Obviously, with fridges, I know levelling is important. No steadies to deal with either. Come the day my Quechua dies I'll be looking for a pop up utility tent.

                  The big difference with a microcamper is you only have one vehicle to house, maintain and insure, they are great on days out, and there is no towing. The compromise is space, which can be added.
                  Thanks for that Claire CVJ , but isn't your Quechua attached to your van in any way? If it isn't, how does that make it any different to a car and a tent?! Except, presumably you sleep in the camper, not in the Quechua.

                  I think some smaller campers have levellers on the back end don't they? Anyway, I agree, a big positive with a microcamper is only having one vehicle to worry about - and no neighbours grumbling because I'm apparently spoiling their view! Well, I view the future with an open mind and in the meantime hope the weather stays nice enough for long enough for me to give the Marechal another airing before the winter.
                  Cynthia

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Cynthia CyberCynth , the Quechua stands close to the side of the car its shape means it gives some shelter when getting in and out of the van in wet weather. The coolbox goes in there, table and chair too, the dogs eat in it, and spend time in it if I need space in the car, and everything I use on a daily basis goes into a flexi tub, which is put in the Quechua when I go off site. I hope it lasts a long time, as they are no longer made. It only weighs 6 kios, and it hanfs from the headrest when I'm driving.
                    Claire

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I'll take a photo of my set up while I'm away, so you can see what it looks like with a Quechua next to it. Like Claire, I will never again entertain the idea of a drive away awning. Driving away is fine... reversing back into the same space isn't so easy! So yes, its an MPV car or van and a tent, but a lot better as the tent is up in five minutes or so.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

                        Another in this genre is the Swift Base Camp, small, fairly basic, lightweight and a very convenient rear door so that you could carry your bike (or surfboard) in it! I haven't seen many around though.

                        I was thinking again about set-up/pack away times. Dave Dave and Pat is always shouting the odds about how quickly he can get set up when on site and I think that was one thing I liked about the Elddis I bought (nearly 3 years ago now!). Pitch, unhitch, steadies down, water connected, waste water container suitably placed, EHU if wanted and that was about it really. The Fleurette was a bit of a pain: although the pop top only took a few minutes to sort out, the top section of the loo compartment was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.... The Gobur was very time consuming because of all the cupboards that had to be refitted to the wall rails, and most of your other stuff had to travel in the car because of lack of space in the caravan once it was folded. However that had its advantages because of the ease of towing.

                        So with a camper you've got to pitch, possibly level, you've still got water containers to sort out, unless you've got an onboard tank, and an EHU cable to unravel and plug in... Not a lot in it really, is there? I notice quite a few people with microcampers put up a tailgate awning of some sort: do you use one jayjay ? That must be a bit time consuming. One thing I didn't like about caravanning was how quickly it started growing green algae, especially on the roof, and it's a bit of a nightmare getting up on a stepladder to wash it off.

                        Oh, and then there are my next door neighbours, who will grumble and mumble about me getting another caravan..... They claimed the Elddis spoiled their view, although with it not there, all they can see instead from their property is the side of my bungalow!

                        Anyway, all this is just speculation at the moment.
                        Cynthia
                        Yes that was another of the same genre aimed at yuppy couples with active hobbies. Rear door so the bikes or canoes can go inside for travelling.

                        Admittedly mine isn't a micro-camper but a campervan, however ............. drive on to the bit I'm parking on. Turn the gas on, and I'm pitched. Less than 5 mins. I rarely use EHU, can't be bothered with the faff of the heavy cable. It does have a large water tank so I don't have to fill with water very often but I do carry 3 x 2 litre containers which I fill with fresh water for the dog before leaving home.
                        Re levelling - the last time I had to level was in 2005 when I had a much larger motorhome and we were on a very steep slope. If it is sunny or rainy and I am staying more than one night I might wind the awning out and stick some pegs in the legs - another 5 mins?

                        I can do all that while caravanners are still unhitching and moving the car out of the way. Then they still have to wind the legs down (a job I hated) and fetch water and turn the gas on.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Just remembered I have a photo of my Quechua.
                          Claire

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I will have a little bang on as you like them. Camping Yes .. A field . in the country Yes . ( makes a change from front garden lock down camping}. £6 to £ 10 a night . 100 t0 120 nights a year all year around I am 77 still alive a bit of exercise winding the legs down even the occasional walk to fill the water barrel. good for the body some exercise ... packing a Quecnua .thats exercise and good fun for those watching. I just do not want to spend the time in the wash room having a shave with the boys . having a shower paddling in others mucky water . Parking in the correct spot that looks like every ones . cooking like at home with the EHU .the toaster the kettle . the fan heater the microwave etc .can not afford the cost of 100 nights EHU .I was not banging on about the Time . whats 10 mins on site its the thought you can only do it if it takes a LONG time and its a faff . I do not think its a faff or trouble just part of the fun Now watching the campers pitching was fun . even better was the fire pit . clouds of smelly being kind coughing stinking smell . my view ...We had a hot Safe Shower ... OOOO I forgot that used water . another trip to the tap what a faff ..time for bed .or shall we watch a film I wish I was still of an age and fitness too camp in the bell tent with trips to the wood .Delamere forest for wood the stream for Water . that was fun ..The "freedom ", is Freedom .. its not perfect .it is not my no1 choice . its a compromise .
                            Last edited by Dave and Pat; 04-08-2020, 18:36.
                            BuzznDave

                            Comment


                              #29
                              So my plea to all of you today is to be a little kinder to those around you and to be on the lookout for the signs of anxiety and depression amongst your family and friends. This is something none of us have experienced before and that makes it frightening for us all. But if we stick together and look out for each other, life will look better for us all...
                              BuzznDave

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X