Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First caravan!

Hi,
    After a very wet and muddy week camping myself and my parter have decided to get a caravan! I've been researching Freedom caravans, largely due to the size and weight. I'm due to look at a used (1991) one this weekend and just wondered if anyone had tips of what to look out for?
    Thanks x

Let us start with the good news - it is GRP so no need to take along a damp meter - it is not an issue.

1991 - the interior may be an issue - but it is all fixable if you have DiY skills - they are built in Poland and 1991 means it was built when the Iron Curtain was disintergrating - the older interior can also disintergrate - no matter it did in simular aged Romahome pods and caravans.

Look at the chassis and the jacks - do they lower and raise freely - you can buy new ones and not hard to replace but use to knock down the price.

Check age of flexy gas pipes (they should be orange with a date stamped on them) replace at 3 years old - If they are old black flexy pipe REPLACE IMMEDIATELY it is potentially lethal Easy to do only jubillee clips!

Tyres they should have a date on them and they should be replaced at about 5 years old. You will probably find the wheel bearings need changed too.

The rest use Mk1 Eyeball and buy what you like - a simple little van due to GRP if the chassis is well maintained will outlast you

Jon
    Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Good luck with your prospective purchase JessP ! I hope it's in good condition. We have a couple of members who are Freedom enthusiasts: Dave and Pat will be along with any further tips you might need, I'm sure!
      Cynthia

Comment

Hi and welcome, JessP

The inside lining (a bit like carpet) has a habit of separating itself from the walls and ceilings of the caravan interior. It's a bit of a job to fix it, it can be done or replaced - or simply stuck back where it should be, but have a good look and make sure it's not sagging down anywhere.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for your help!! I've bought a different one,, it's 2002 microlite. Roof lining is something that's going to need attention as some sagging but all looks good!

Comment

Welcome Jess...good luck with your purchase...enjoy.!!

Neil

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X