New battery is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New battery is dead

My own fault I suppose. I'd left the battery in the van in between my two away days. Took the battery out last week but didn't get around to charging it u til yeasterday. Attached it to charger.No lights came on on the charger. Disconnected from battery and the lights came on on the charger. Attached to battery and lights went off. I can't see the faint green light (forgotten the name) on top of the battery. I assume the battery is dead even thought I only bought it last year and have only been away in the van 4 times since I got it. I thought there would be some charge in it. Not sure what I've done wrong.
    Pam

Hi Pam
    I had the same problem with my Mini earlier this year when the alarm drained it completely.
    My solution was to connect the dead battery to one with a charge with jump leads and leave it a while (overnight for me). One battery charged the other slightly and then I was able to use my normal battery charger.
    The charger I normally use is one of these newfangled fully automatic electronic chargers and I don't think that they recognise a completely dead battery.
    I hope this might be of use to you, by the way, nice choice of caravan!

Peter

Comment

Dead battery

Originally posted by Mayfair Pete View Post
      Hi Pam
      I had the same problem with my Mini earlier this year when the alarm drained it completely.
      My solution was to connect the dead battery to one with a charge with jump leads and leave it a while (overnight for me). One battery charged the other slightly and then I was able to use my normal battery charger.
      The charger I normally use is one of these newfangled fully automatic electronic chargers and I don't think that they recognise a completely dead battery.
      I hope this might be of use to you, by the way, nice choice of caravan!

Peter
      Thanks Pete. I'll have a word with my next door neighbour if I can catch him to araange something. I do like my Little Romini. Gnere is a pic of it somewhere on here. When I towed it with a Fiat Panda. Pam

Comment

Happened with mine once. Because it was a relatively new battery, I put it on a car charger for a couple of hours on high, then switched to trickle charge and left it overnight and all the next day.. That worked! And it's been working every since!

I now disconnect the red terminal each time I leave the van for a while, then nothing can drain it (although it will still lose charge overwinter). I charge it approx 3 times over the winter just to keep it topped up. I use a smart charger and hook up the caravan to the mains to do this - but to be honest a car charger doesn't seem to be any less effective!

Good luck with getting it charged again. They are expensive to replace.

Comment

dead battery

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          Happened with mine once. Because it was a relatively new battery, I put it on a car charger for a couple of hours on high, then switched to trickle charge and left it overnight and all the next day.. That worked! And it's been working every since!

I now disconnect the red terminal each time I leave the van for a while, then nothing can drain it (although it will still lose charge overwinter). I charge it approx 3 times over the winter just to keep it topped up. I use a smart charger and hook up the caravan to the mains to do this - but to be honest a car charger doesn't seem to be any less effective!

Good luck with getting it charged again. They are expensive to replace.
          I borrowed my neighbours charger which actually stay lit when attached to the battery. I left it on all night and this morning I saw the green electolite light in the top of the battery so I have hopefully saved it. I'm going to take my charger over to the car shop across the road from me to ask why it lights up when plugged in but once attached to the battery terminals the light goes out?

Pam

Comment

It will be interesting to find out, Pam.

My car battery charger was fine for ages then all of a sudden stopped working. Althought the lights came on when it was plugged into the mains. It was a loose wire inside.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X