Caravan Chssis service next week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caravan Chssis service next week!

Well I thought it was about time I got a proper chassis service done. I found a mobile chap on t'internet who lives approx four miles away from me, who is going to do the whole lot for £60 - but that's not including anything that needs replacing, like for example brake pads, etc.

Last time I parked it up there was a lot of play on the handbrake, so I know the cable needs something doing with it. And one of the corner steadies seems difficult to wind and unwind as well. Apart from that I don't think there's much wrong with it, but I'm not an expert and it's better to get these things checked over once every couple of years or so.

I know if I leave it until the spring there will be a huge wait for a service, and several ppl have said it doesn't matter if it's done now or in the spring so I'm going for it, then I'll be ready for the Spring Meet!

For anyone else who needs to find a mobile engineer nearby, here's the link to the site I used:

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/?url=/search
    Last edited by jayjay; 16-11-2011, 10:06.

Well I thought I'd just report back on the chassis service!

The chap came and spent an hour making sure everything on the chassis worked properly. He freed off the stiff corner steady, checked the tow hitch bolts and bearings, oiled things that should be oiled, greased things that should be greased, took off the wheels and checked the bearings and adjusted the wheel brakes, checked the wheels and torqued the wheel bolts correctly, sprayed them with protector for the winter, sorted out the hand brake (which needed adjusting), checked all the stress points on the trailer, and fixed/rewired the side lights which have never worked properly!

So I am pleased that all will be well next spring when I venture out on the road again! Glad I had it done now rather than in the Spring, when the waiting list grows to approx a month - it makes no difference whether it's done now or then. And all for £60! Isn't that great, simply for peace of mind if nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Well I thought I'd just report back on the chassis service!

The chap came and spent an hour making sure everything on the chassis worked properly. He freed off the stiff corner steady, checked the tow hitch bolts and bearings, oiled things that should be oiled, greased things that should be greased, took off the wheels and checked the bearings and adjusted the wheel brakes, checked the wheels and torqued the wheel bolts correctly, sprayed them with protector for the winter, sorted out the hand brake (which needed adjusting), checked all the stress points on the trailer, and fixed/rewired the side lights which have never worked properly!

So I am pleased that all will be well next spring when I venture out on the road again! Glad I had it done now rather than in the Spring, when the waiting list grows to approx a month - it makes no difference whether it's done now or then. And all for £60! Isn't that great, simply for peace of mind if nothing else!
      Pleased you are all sorted jayjay
      But you made me muse on the different things we each have to pay for. The chap certainly gave you value for money, but he did nothing that I am not able and qualified to do for myself.
      The bottom line is that if I had to pay out, as many others do, for caravan and car maintenance I would be unable to afford either! And also lose out on other " luxuries".
      Not sure whether I am fortunate or not. A lot of my life has gone into maintaining mechanical things (something of a chore) including domestic items etc., but I have been able to run a car ever since I was twenty and caravans with one or two gaps since I was in my mid-twenties.
      However, I find doing the maintenance is getting more wearisome as I get older
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Jim! If I could do these things myself, I would! O that I had been born a boy with a spanner in me hand!

I like the things that connect with the road to be right - even if the caravan leaks, that's not going to cause an accident, but poor maintenace of running gear would.

I learned to use a grease gun earlier this year!
        Last edited by jayjay; 25-11-2011, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          Hi Jim! If I could do these things myself, I would! O that I had been born a boy with a spanner in me hand!
          I'll bet mum would have said "OUCH"!
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            I'll bet mum would have said "OUCH"!
            Jim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X