We are selling our caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are selling our caravan

Well after our first season of tin tent tugging we have decided the caravan is not for us

So, we have traded in for a new one!!

We had a few niggles with our current van, nothing major just annoyances really, but having had a look around, and having talked to a few friends who own caravans, we took the plunge. (sorry to all you dislikers of big vans, the new ones is 0.5m longer than our current van, we'll try not to hold you up on the country lanes)

Unfortunately we have had to tell Evie that Santa is bringing her a new hitch lock and wheel lock well it was either that or cancelling Christmas altogether!!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

You little tease Glen, I thought you were coming back to the bright side and getting a motorhome.

Will you ever settle on a perfect unit do you think? How many is that since you joined the forum? I've lost count.

Poor Evie, I'm sure Santa will find a little something in his sack for her other than caravan related, after all I bet she's been a little angel all year.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      You little tease Glen, I thought you were coming back to the bright side and getting a motorhome.
      Sorry!!! Although we loved the Motorhome life for us 2 and the dog, caravaning is far easier and more relaxing now we have Evie.

Will you ever settle on a perfect unit do you think? How many is that since you joined the forum? I've lost count.
      I know, I know!! Whilst some people change their cars every year, we just change our holiday accommodation!! We HAVE to be happy with this one, there is no way we can change again.

Poor Evie, I'm sure Santa will find a little something in his sack for her other than caravan related, after all I bet she's been a little angel all year.
      Of course she's a little angel, she takes after her mum so I'm sure Santa will still call
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Cor Glen! what's the make of the new one then?

I bet you got a good deal at this time of year! Are you going to need a bigger tow car as well?

From what I've read, a lot of ppl with young families need something larger, you're not alone. The trend I've noticed seems to be that couples start off small, get something a bit bigger, start a family, get something bigger, more kids,,, etc... Then after the kids hit late teens and its not 'cool' to go camping with parents, the parents start to downsize to something smaller again!

We went camping in tents as teens, and got a larger tent when the kids came along - then a caravan as they got bigger... another addition ( 3 kids now) - and the caravan was too small, got an awning, still too small. Sold caravan, hired statics for holidays for a few years, then my parents bought a static van. Had many lovely holidays in that. The kids grew up, my parents sold the static, we all went abroad for many years on the package deals. Then my parents bought a MH. They sold that a year or so ago and bought a two berth towing van again. So from small to larger, to very large, to smaller, to small. Hope that makes sense!

I'm sure Evie won't mind having a bit less for christmas this year anyway - she's really too young to care just yet - I think it's a good time to change, before the wantthiswantthat starts! My grandson is 9 yrs old now, wants quite a lot for Xmas even though both parents aren't well off.... it's so easy to please them when they are still little! She will love the hitchlock and wheel lock! - - -

- - And all those lovely holidays to come next year!
        Last edited by jayjay; 11-12-2011, 08:08.

Comment

The new 'van is an elddis tempest & although bigger and heavier we won't need a different towcar. When we bought our current caravan, we were governed by our then cars capabilities regarding weight so although the caravan we bought ticked most of our boxes, it wasn't perfect. Having towed for a few trips and struggled at junctions, hills etc we realised that the information given to us by the caravan dealer regarding the car being able to pull the caravan was sound legally, it was well over the recommended 85% van:car ratio so we changed the car to a land rover discovery. Even with the new 'van and it's up-rated weight plate, we are still towing around 75% capacity!!*

You are right about the going bigger, bigger, bigger, smaller, smaller smaller! No doubt when (if) I am allowed to retire we'll have another little romahome demountable!

As for Evie's Christmas, she'll no doubt totally ignore the hitchlock and wheel lock in favour of the bestest ever cardboard boxes they come in!!

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
            As for Evie's Christmas, she'll no doubt totally ignore the hitchlock and wheel lock in favour of the bestest ever cardboard boxes they come in!!
            Sounds brilliant! Is it lighter than the older one? I hear it all depends on the make and model and what extras are included....

As for Evie, I remember my sons playing more with the cardboard boxes than the toys... fond memories!

Comment

Over many years it took about ten 'vans to find the "right" one!
              Each was going to be the "right" one. But "the proof is in the pudding".
              Sometimes the weight was wrong. Sometimes the layout. Some towed badly. Others too small or too big. Finally THE 'van, a Monza.:so happy:
              Unfortunately circumstances forced a sale of the only 'van I really regretted saying goodbye to.
              Latterly, circumstances changed dramatically. On my own now, I find my little Romini ideal. The smallest 'van I have ever owned, it must have been designed for me.
              The Romimi and I will now probably be cremated together
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

The new one is heavier, although elddis caravans are generally built lighter than our current coachman. The new one is also twin axle which gives extra length and importantly for us, more indoor space for the rainy on-site days that invariably happen!

Comment

Mind you dont get confused with gypsies witha twin axle especially if you venture across to france where they think every twin axle means "gens de voyages"

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    Mind you dont get confused with gypsies witha twin axle especially if you venture across to france where they think every twin axle means "gens de voyages"

Peter
                    Yeah, read a bit about this sort of stuff elsewhere, seems strange considering the number of big twin axle caravans produced on the continent?? Also reports of some private uk sites banning twin axles for the same reason, with others 'vetting' people when they arrive on site! We shall see what happens!
                    We generally stick to club sites, some of which we are no longer able to visit due to the length of the van, but its only a very small number. We have at present no desire to venture across the water, I haven't even got a valid passport now, but will have to face that challenge should we ever change our minds.

Comment

I thought perhaps Santa was bring the clamp to keep Evie locked down and out of mischief

What is the layout on the new one, end bathroom again?

Comment

No clamp would be sufficient to manage that Pauline!!

The layout is front lounge/our bed, then down 1 side a kitchen in the middle and triple bunks at the end. Along the opposite side is a dinette in the middle then bathroom. We gain a usable dinette over current van, and if we are feeling lazy we can use that as a lounge and leave the front made up as our bed. The really posh bit, or so we think anyway, is the programmable 'wet' heating system which uses radiators rather than blown air! We didn't go for the added option of a telemetry link to the heating so we won't be able to text it to tell it to switch on if we are out for the day. (I kid you not, that really is an option!!)

Comment

Goodness! It sounds lovely. Enjoy.
                          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                            No clamp would be sufficient to manage that Pauline!!

The layout is front lounge/our bed, then down 1 side a kitchen in the middle and triple bunks at the end. Along the opposite side is a dinette in the middle then bathroom. We gain a usable dinette over current van, and if we are feeling lazy we can use that as a lounge and leave the front made up as our bed. The really posh bit, or so we think anyway, is the programmable 'wet' heating system which uses radiators rather than blown air! We didn't go for the added option of a telemetry link to the heating so we won't be able to text it to tell it to switch on if we are out for the day. (I kid you not, that really is an option!!)
                            Wow If I had that caravan I think I'd sell the house and live on one of the kids drive text to switch the heating on? whatever next!

Comment

Cardboard boxes are the best for young kids... And even better if you fill them with coloured paper to pull out. One year put a tiny present inside very large box with lots of crepe coloured paper and the office shredding for my nephew and neice.

RESULT estatic children, amused grandparents..... and a really big mess on my brother and sister in laws carpet... Wow they went bonkers.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X