Is your van CRIS registered...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your van CRIS registered...?

On another forum, this topic is mentioned and there seems to be a suggestion that registration is not a good thing. I've asked why but not had a reponse yet.

Is it good to be registered...? If not, why not..?

Doug

Originally posted by snobbyafghan View Post
    On another forum, this topic is mentioned and there seems to be a suggestion that registration is not a good thing. I've asked why but not had a reponse yet.

Is it good to be registered...? If not, why not..?

Doug
    What is CRIS registration Doug ?
    derek b and Babs

Comment

CRIS registration is for caravans not motorhomes which are vehicles and so have V5 Registration Docs.

It applies to all British built caravans sold new from about 1992, although you can also register older or foreign caravans if you want to. It was introduced to help prevent stolen caravans being sold on.

The problem with it is that lots of new owners don't bother to pay the £10 to transfer the caravan into their name when they buy it. I bought a van from the children of an old couple who had died, the CRIS documents came with it but I couldn't re-register it because the old couple hadn't changed it from the previous owner's name to theirs - and I needed their signature which obviously I couldn't get because they'd died. When I came to sell it, the man who bought it was a bit unsure but I persuaded him it was OK.

So yes, like all good ideas it can be a bit of a two edged sword.

Comment

I'm not aware of it either, but if I ever came across "CRIS" I would probably discount it as just another acronym. Does it have a "proper" name? If so that might have attracted my attention.
        Unlike now, when you have mentioned on this Forum, the internet and forums thereon were to all effects non-existent in1992.
        Was usage wide spread? Because I have bought and sold several caravans and never come across it.
        Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 21-03-2012, 14:22.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          Unlike now, when you have mentioned on this Forum, the internet and forums threon were to all effects non-existent.
          Jim.
          Jim - I'm not sure what thatsentence means but as regards what CRiS is, I refer to the all powerful Google and find;
          Caravan Registration and Identification System (now you can see why the acronym has been more popular ).

More here:
          http://***********************/articles/view.asp?id=89

Doug

Comment

Our current caravan and our new caravan are cris registered, Other than the problem highlighted by caz I can't see any downside to registration. As we are trading in our caravan at the moment, the dealer asked us for the cris documents as part of the handover.
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by snobbyafghan View Post
              Jim - I'm not sure what thatsentence means but as regards what CRiS is, I refer to the all powerful Google and find;
              Caravan Registration and Identification System (now you can see why the acronym has been more popular ).

More here:
              http://***********************/articles/view.asp?id=89

Doug
              Thanks Doug. Unfortunately the link does not work for me. I have added a date to that sentence. Sorry.
              While I obviously know that reference to almost everything can be found on the internet now. I need a "spark" to set me off. Otherwise it gets ignored.
              Laziness??
              Jim.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 21-03-2012, 14:23.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

All new caravans are CRIS registered and have been for many years now.
                Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                  All new caravans are CRIS registered and have been for many years now.
                  Isn't that only UK manufactured vans...?

Doug

Comment

CRiS Registration

All caravans manufactured since 1992 by NCC members are recorded on the CRiS database by their unique 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This VIN and the caravan description are recorded on a Touring Caravan Registration Document, which is sent to the caravan's registered keeper. Even if you own a pre-1992 caravan, or imported your own caravan into the UK, you can still register it with CRiS yourself. Many insurance companies now require CRiS registration before they will issue a policy.
                    further details are here if required ;
                    http://www.hpicheck.com/caravans.html
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

I thought that was what I said.

Only UK manufacturers are members of the National Caravan Council, as far as I know.

I've never been asked by insurers if I have the CRIS document or if it's in my name, and I've owned a few British made post 1992 caravans.
                      Last edited by Caz; 22-03-2012, 20:05.

Comment

I was asked for the cris number by insurers
                        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Some insurers are a lot fussier than others. One of my beefs is that a lot of them insist on a wheelclamp - I've yet to find one I can actually lift and fit to the wheel.

Luckily C & C C don't insist on it - they just say it will be a higher excess if it gets nicked and there wasn't a clamp on it.

Comment

I've just insured the Puck with the Caravan Club and they only ask for CRiS OR chassis number.

Doug

Comment

The cris scheme uses the chassis number to register the caravan so effectively both numbers are the same.
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X