One for Ian S...you were right....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for Ian S...you were right....

...about needing to learn scuba diving! My caravan is STILL LEAKING!

Just done a 'trail by waterhose' on it... some of the leaks are now fixed! There's one I thought I had fixed but no... but I have found out at long long last where its getting in (I used some of that creeping crack cure, although it's far larger than a crack it showed me where it was coming in!) Which is through the window seal... I have just fixed it with some bathroom sealer - I know I should have used sikaflex, but I can't be bothered to go and get some/order some for such a small fix, so we shall see if this works. I'll know in approx 72 hours according to the instructions!

And if it doesn't I shall cry and rant and scream - because I can't finish the make over on the inside until it's fixed.

However, my unorthodox method of sealing the other leak worked... blue tack. I moulded it, then pushed it into the corner with the other end of an extremely long paintbrush!! Is there anything like blue tack that you can mould and then shove into the teeniest, most out of the way little tiny corner that is too small for even a nozzle on a sealant tube? If so, let me know. Otherwise the blue tack (actually green!!) is staying.

Would plumbers putty be more suitable than blue tac??
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
      Would plumbers putty be more suitable than blue tac??
      I've never heard of that, Glen! Thanks! I'll go and investigate. I had thought of ordinary putty, but that goes hard (and would probably break/shatter when in transit) and so I need something that stays relatively soft.

Comment

It says on one web site:

Plumber's putty remains soft and pliable for a relatively long period of time, so it should not be used to seal pipes or fixtures that will be under pressure from water. In such cases, the seal will not hold. Pipes should be sealed using TeflonĀ® tape or a liquid pipe compound. In some cases, plumber's putty can stain the material the sink is made out of; in such instances, silicon caulk may be a better option.

Does 'under pressure from water' include rain?

Comment

I think I would try to use a syringe and needle to push a liquid sealant into the gap rather than a putty substance but it's difficult to figure out a solution without seeing the problem!! I really don't envy your task jayjay, chasing leaks is a thankless task but if anyone can sort it, you can!!
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            It says on one web site:

Plumber's putty remains soft and pliable for a relatively long period of time, so it should not be used to seal pipes or fixtures that will be under pressure from water. In such cases, the seal will not hold. Pipes should be sealed using TeflonĀ® tape or a liquid pipe compound. In some cases, plumber's putty can stain the material the sink is made out of; in such instances, silicon caulk may be a better option.

Does 'under pressure from water' include rain?
            My guess would be that 'under pressure' means mains water pressure and not gravitational pressure such as when emptying a sink.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
              I think I would try to use a syringe and needle to push a liquid sealant into the gap rather than a putty substance but it's difficult to figure out a solution without seeing the problem!! I really don't envy your task jayjay, chasing leaks is a thankless task but if anyone can sort it, you can!!
              I thought of putting a tube onto the end of a nozzle to get a liquid sealant into this particular place. Its about the most inaccessible bit on the van, where the hinged pop up roof makes a small triangle with the side walls. It's impossible to fix from the outside and its literally where water runs off the roof down towards the front of the van when the roof is up. You can't really put the roof down during the day as there is only 4 1/2 ft headroom, but it does stop coming in if you put it down at night. I need some little spouts to jettison the water from the roof away from the van... might just stick with the bluetack!

This is because, as Ian and Jim noticed last year at the Moreton meet, at somepoint something heavy has landed on the roof - like a tree for eg., and it has twisted the roof slightly out of kilter. It hasn't affected the chassis though, I've had that checked out and serviced.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                ...about needing to learn scuba diving! My caravan is STILL LEAKING!

Just done a 'trail by waterhose' on it... some of the leaks are now fixed! There's one I thought I had fixed but no... but I have found out at long long last where its getting in (I used some of that creeping crack cure, although it's far larger than a crack it showed me where it was coming in!) Which is through the window seal... I have just fixed it with some bathroom sealer - I know I should have used sikaflex, but I can't be bothered to go and get some/order some for such a small fix, so we shall see if this works. I'll know in approx 72 hours according to the instructions!

And if it doesn't I shall cry and rant and scream - because I can't finish the make over on the inside until it's fixed.

However, my unorthodox method of sealing the other leak worked... blue tack. I moulded it, then pushed it into the corner with the other end of an extremely long paintbrush!! Is there anything like blue tack that you can mould and then shove into the teeniest, most out of the way little tiny corner that is too small for even a nozzle on a sealant tube? If so, let me know. Otherwise the blue tack (actually green!!) is staying.
                Hi Jayjay,Really sorry to here you still have leak problems,bathtub sealant should be ok,you can get araldite putty,you mix it like mixing two colours of plasticine and it can be mouled and pushed into cracks to make a permanent seal,or buy a spray tube of polystyrene foam,squirt into the crack and it expands and hardens,its dead easy stuff.
                Am sitting in hot sunshine listening to the abbey church bells,lovely,very english sound.Yesterday I spent an hour listening to the choir,they are very good.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X