Going UK Cockpit Teardrop Caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going UK Cockpit Teardrop Caravan

On our way to Southport at the weekend we drove by Red Lion Caravans at Ormskirk. Didn't stop, but just caught a glimpse of a very snazzy looking teardrop caravan.

Done a bit of research and it turns out to be a Going UK Cockpit and Red Lion seem to be the sole importers. Has anyone seen one close up? From a distance it looks really good!

Link
    Mary

Looks beautiful, doesn't it?

I remember seeing a teardrop caravan at the B'ham show a year or two ago. Remarkably compact and certainly more comfortable than sleeping in a tent, though the one I saw necessitated you to do the cooking outside (in an awning, I guess, if the weather is bad.)

'Ade in Britain' shows Adrian Edmondson pulling one with his Mini. Impressive.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

£7500!!!!!!, you could buy several Rominis for that or a nice C15 and not have to tow, where do they get these inflated prices from?
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Tell me about it, Ian! It seems the smaller they are, the more they cost! My little Kip was £900 when I bought it, and needed a lot spending on it to get it even safe to use, not to mention the leaks! LOL! But recently I saw one on Ebay with a starting price of £1,500, so even the little kips are going for a lot of money nowadays.

Comment

That woman in the picture looks most uncomfortable.

Comment

Had a look at teardrop vans a year or so ago and thought they were vastly over-priced. The Eriba Puck I just bought is 7 years old and a similar price to a new teardrop but the difference in quality is immense.Personally, I would recommend a 2nd hand Eriba over one of these after having checked out both.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
              That woman in the picture looks most uncomfortable.
              she aint happy thats for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by snobbyafghan View Post
                Had a look at teardrop vans a year or so ago and thought they were vastly over-priced. The Eriba Puck I just bought is 7 years old and a similar price to a new teardrop but the difference in quality is immense.Personally, I would recommend a 2nd hand Eriba over one of these after having checked out both.

Doug
                For strength and longevity you cannot beat Eriba, the German build quality is famous. BUT,what has happened to the UK base its shut down! does this mean that only Hymer dealers will now sell Eriba,pity because most have no experience of the range!

Comment

These are the main dealers:
                  http://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/

We bought ours from them - they have a good stock and a rapid turnover of secondhand Eribas. They are a Hymer dealer but only seem to sell Eribas.

Doug

Comment

Thanks for the link - I cant see any prices for the new vans. I assume that the Eriba Familia 310GT is the base model.

I agree with everyone that the woman in the Cockpit photos looks extremely uncomfortable - I would not have gone with those photos!

In order to compare like with like, I wondered whether anyone had actually seen the Cockpit up close. We love vintage, but also love new technology and being totally non-mechanical and cack-handed we usually end up opting for new.

We downsized this spring and got rid of our car - and are missing it. We would like to replace our van in a year or so. A new VW will cost us £35,000, a new R30 even more.

So an option to consider, although we don't like to tow would be a small caravan and new car. There seems to be a big gap in the market when it comes to small caravans - most of them look very heavy to me, and full of things that I dont really want. So, we have been keeping half an eye out for something new and innovative. Something like the Cockpit and a new car could be had for around £20,000 making it look quite attractive against the £35,000 motorhome.
                    Mary

Comment

Going UK Cockpit

We like this, never seen one in real life though, to me it seems the same concept as a Romini 50years on, I don't know how much a Romini cost new but it may well have been pro rata-about half the price of a new car give or take.
                      derek b and Babs

Comment

PS. New ERIBAS start at £13,999.
                        derek b and Babs

Comment

the only problem with caravans is stopping to make tea at least with van if it cold you only got to walk through get kettle on and teas ready with caravan stop sort out gas heat water in cold caravan .

Comment

Originally posted by AGING HIPPY View Post
                            the only problem with caravans is stopping to make tea at least with van if it cold you only got to walk through get kettle on and teas ready with caravan stop sort out gas heat water in cold caravan .
                            Well, you've still got to stop the MH and turn the gas on. With a Puck, you can stop in a space not much bigger than a car needs. You don't need an Aquaroll - the Puck has an onboard water container so there's not a lot of difference between a Puck and a MH - apart from the price, the depreciation and the maintenance costs.........!

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by AGING HIPPY View Post
                              Both are a great improvement on having to stop, put up the tent, etc etc!

Which is probably how we came to adopt the habit of carrying a flask of hot water (well wrapped up in a coat or blanket) with us!
                              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X