As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used a pop-up Gazebo as an awning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used a pop-up Gazebo as an awning?

Just looking at these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-0x2-0mtr-G...ref=pd_cp_sg_1
    and it strikes me they could make a reasonable not-awning add-on to a small van or MH and pretty cheap as well. Anyone tried such a thing...?

Doug

twin1

Friend used one last month.We watched as it went up in a few mins.Looked really good and loads of room.Thought it a really good idea.would love one.

Comment

We had a pop up gazebo, not from amazon, but similar in cost and size. I wouldn't have used it as an awning as I found it very flimsy. The frame on ours buckled in a gust of wind, that any awning i have used would have easily withstood. Before that, several of the joints broke meaning I had to drill them out and re-rivet them. It then went in the skip. I think if I was to buy another I would want to see it up first to ensure it was of better quality than our original.
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I haven't used one as an awning but I've used one on our patio with the same experience as Glen. Ours was secured to the house and fence to prevent it blowing away. The polyester fabric was much stronger than the frame which buckled and snapped in several places during some gusty weather. It would have been a disaster on a campsite - either blowing away if not adequately secured or snapping apart if it were.

We reverted to a £14.99 Argos special with aluminium slot-together poles and a tarpaulin cover. It looked cheap and tacky but it lasted!

Comment

You may also find that on many sites they are not allowed or have to be taken down at night as, because of their lightweight construction if it gets windy they can take off and cause damage / injury.

Comment

twin1

oh I agree,the one we saw was the very expensive heavy duty canvas and we were on a 5 van site.

Comment

The one I linked to has steel poles rather than the aluminium of the really cheap ones so may have more stability....I'm tempted but I'm not thinking of it for UK use - it probably wouldn't be rugged enough for that....I saw a few in use in Switzerland and Italy and they are more for sun-shelter than anything which is what I had in mind....

Doug

Comment

Reminds me about the time we were at the C&CC site in Keswick. I was using a sideless gazebo with the tent and awoke one wet and windy night to the sound of people dismantling it. On investigation, it had 'escaped' it's guys and pegs and had been heading towards the river, [we were camped on the 'island' on pitches alongside the river, for those of you who know the site]getting closer with each gust of wind!

It had anchored itself on to Ross's pup tent which was also in danger of being lifted with the gazebo. Von and co had heard the noise and had kindly donned waterproofs and gone out to take it down as they knew that, once asleep, little would wake me.

It is so good to camp with friends like those 2.

Di.

Comment

I've seen quite a few of the green concertina pole push up umbrella style gazebos wrecked on various campsites, we rescued one where the owners had gone out for the day and it was snapped and about to take off.

Often the cause is that inexperienced campers just don't peg them out enough.

Some years ago, I used a Somerfield white cheapy £12.99 one as an awning for a folding camper and a tent for the whole of one summer season and it's still in one piece now despite 10 days on the side of a hill in Scarborough. I pegged it out properly with the guys and four pegs crossed in the holes in each foot.

I stopped using it as some sites either banned gazebos or started charging for them.

Comment

I have one of these, not used it yet, but thought it would do for the Romini and Fisher Holivan, the reviews were good and it was cheap for a pop up...

Maybe I will try it in the garden later and let you all know...
                    MS.RoMiNi

Comment

We use a Khyam Garden Shelter as a freestanding awning.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews...ter/25218.html

Similar concept to a pop up gazebo but much sturdier. The one we have was originally my parents and they used and abused it for years before we got it and its still going strong. The frame is the same as Khyams other tents and awnings so well capable of withstanding gales and downpours.
                      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X