Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom Microlite. Awning advice.

Hi,

We bought a new Microlite last year. Silly us, we decided we wanted a "bivvie" rather than a country cottage, so didn't buy an awning to go with it. Wrong! Getting a wet dog into a small dry caravan needs something more than a step and a towel.

A new awning costs £600 . Second hand awnings seem to disappear from Ebay well before the end of the auction. Being a last minute "sniper", I find that most annoying. I put a bid of £50 on an awning last Monday. On Saturday evening, one day to go, it was still only my bid, still only £50. By Sunday morning, it had ENDED. Doh! Did somebody entice the vendor to take a "Buy-it-Now" offer? Or did he decide that my bid wasn't high enough, and simply withdrew? I would have gone higher.

So, if anybody here has a tidy awning for a Microlite, at a reasonable price, let me know.

Alternatively, has anyone successfully used a drive-away awning .... which seem a lot cheaper. The problem, as I see it, is that the top rear corner of the van is lower than the top of the door when open. Probably not an insurmountable problem, provide you have a large selection of awnings to "suck and see".

There is a photo of my Microlite in thread title "Pea on a Drum", although I have since sold the doublecab. The caravan was up-rated to 850kg (actually, that is the design weight, and they are down rated to 750kg for the UK market). We had it fitted with "movers", cos I'm getting old, and it only takes a small tuft of grass to stop a wheel turning. Lucky really, cos I "bust a gut" (Inguinal hernia- Google). If you see somebody being dragged across a camp-site, holding a leash in one hand, with a boisterous 25kg black dog on the other end .... and holding his bowels in place with his other hand - that's me. Blitz is very friendly, but doesn't do gentle. He has a Sumo wrestler approach.

Hi and wlecome 602 from Jay Jay (I am not a number, I am a free man, well woman...) couldn't resist! LOL

Love the movelite awnings myself, they seem to fit all the small caravans, even my own very peculiar one! The drive away hoodie bit can catch on some doors, however, with a bit of manoevering over to one side, you can get away with it! And they are easy to put up as well.

There's a thread on this somewhere, I'll go and see if I can find it for you!

There's one for sale on here - nearly new! I bought mine from here too, a bigger one and lovely! I paid for a courier to bring it down to me and the gent selling it simply put it in a box for me.
    http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...light=movelite

And here is the thread with my movelite on the back of my Kip van. The flap makes them fit most things, even my sisters big caravan was ok with it on the side over the door.
    http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...light=movelite
    Last edited by jayjay; 14-08-2012, 19:58.

Comment

Hi JayJay,

Thanks for the link, I'll go and have a look.

Just in case anyone is interested, 602 is the "last three" of my old RAF number. For nine years my nane was Williams 602. Any ex-derviceman will know what I'm talking about. If it makes you feel better, you can call me John.

One advantage of signing 602, is that I can recognise my own mails .... very usefull ay my age.

So you are a free man? You also must have some years under your belt When was The Prisoner last shown on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
        Hi JayJay,

When was The Prisoner last shown on TV?

Aw. cummon!
        Episodes of The Prisoner have been on several times in the last 3 or 4 years.
        Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
          Hi JayJay,

So you are a free man? You also must have some years under your belt When was The Prisoner last shown on TV?

No offence intended! A free woman actually ! I just couldn't resist saying it! I loved watching The Prisoner in my teens, was glued to the TV watching all the series. My teens were four decades ago.

I hope you get a good awning, I'm sure the drive away moveilites will fit a Freedom.

Comment

My teens were four decades ago.

Hi Jay Jay,

Four decades? Thats about 1972ish. I'm now trying to remember when we got out first colour TV, cos I watched The Prisoner in B&W. I'm not sure that we didn't watch it in Malaya.

OK, in 1972, I was 33, just finished a couple of years on apprentice wages with day release to study for an ONC in Mech Eng, had sold our house on the Surrey/GLC border, bought a new Moskvitch van and a new Sprite Alpine, put a deposit on a yet-to-be built bungalow in South Wales, and was loading the caravan prior to departing to tour Scotland for three months while they built the bungalow. I wandered into DVLC to see if there were likely to be any jobs when we returned .... just as insurance, you understand. Doh! I started working there the following Monday. It was another four years before we got up to Scotland .... and the builder took so long that we withdrew our offer.

We visited the Prisoners village (Portmeirion???) about five years ago, staying on a caravan park nearby.

And for those of you counting on your fingers, I was born in 1939, used to shoot down Doodlebugs with a wooden Tommygun.

Comment

I loved The Prisoner, I was at school when it was originally shown.

Moskvich - aah, my first car was a Mosky, a 1973 L reg, 18 months old, cost me £530.

I used to have a Microlite, both it and my Sunseeker which I have now came with the original Freedom awnings. They were the most difficult caravan awnings I've ever had to erect - and I've had quite a few over the years. I sold the Sunseeker awning last year, the Microlite one went with the caravan.

I use a simple porch awning with Sunny but with the Microlite being so low I never did get anything to fit, I just used an Outdoor Revolution Easi-canopy with it.

When I enquired I was told that the OR Movelite would do it, but I didn't get round to buying one before I sold the van when my son suddenly grew 6 inches in 6 months and it was too small for us.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X