As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have/had a Carousel Folding Caravan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have/had a Carousel Folding Caravan?

I thought I'd give jayjay a rest and start a topic - the poor gel seems to be keeping this board afloat on her own......

Anyway, we've decided to go a similar route to the one she has taken and for many of the same reasons. Initially, we thought of buying a really cheap, 2-berth caravan, taking it to France and leaving it on a site rather than bringing it back. We would then move it maybe just once a year but never bring it back here.

However, we then discovered Carousel folders which have recently had rave reviews in the Caravan Club mag. They aren't cheap but we could stretch to a second hand one.

So, anybody got any input on these?

And jayjay, I hope things continue to progress with your van - I've read all the posts but I must have missed the pics of the outside of it so I don't know what it looks like - it sounds nice. Also, you kindly offered me a EHU adaptor when I had some probs a few weeks back. Didn't need it in the end but thanks for the offer.

Doug

Originally posted by snobbyafghan View Post
    I thought I'd give jayjay a rest and start a topic - the poor gel seems to be keeping this board afloat on her own......

And jayjay, I hope things continue to progress with your van - I've read all the posts but I must have missed the pics of the outside of it so I don't know what it looks like - it sounds nice. Also, you kindly offered me a EHU adaptor when I had some probs a few weeks back. Didn't need it in the end but thanks for the offer.

Doug
    LOL!!! There were a couple of 'honorary' caravanners at the last meet near Oxford last year, but I think they may have bought motorhomes!!

Things are progressing, Doug - two new little tables put in (photos still to come), carpet bought and ready to be fitted, curtains made and ready to hang....The sealant has been put on, just hoping now that it will 'cure' as the weather is turning cold... I've put the tarp back over as I'm not sure it has yet. I just hope it stops the water ingress! Pic of 'fitted' tarp below! Plus a link to the outside of the van pic, as you can't post the same pic twice in different threads....

As to the carousels, I think they are fantastico... I considered buying a second user one myself... but I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to put it up by myself, and wanted something small and lightweight that I could manage on my own if necessary. Even in the collapsed state, the carousels are very heavy, and quite hard to put up single handed. I also considered various trailer tents, and discarded those for the same reasons. Tried a wind-up roof type and had to lie down for a while afterwards, it wasn't actually the weight of the winding, but where the handle was and the position my back was in whilst winding.

Go and try some out and see how long, how hard it is to put up before you buy, Doug, because the videos make it all look very easy. You may not find it so.

So I ended up with my liddle Kip caravan. Small and cute, nearest I could find to my much loved Roma, apart from the Romini at a price I could just about afford. And since spent a ton of money getting it put right, which I couldn't afford really! LOL!!!

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...1&d=1260125905

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...1&d=1260125953

Comment

Hi Doug

My Mum and Dad had a couple of Carousels in their later years when they gave up motorhoming.

The first one, a two berth, not sure on models numbers or anything, was a little short on bed length. The bed ran across the shortest length of the van and my Dad didn't have enough leg room to stretch out.

They later got a 3/4 berth with double bed/sitting area in same position along the shortest length of the van plus a smaller bed (ok for 1 adult or two smallish children) which made into a sitting area too, it also had a toilet room. They found it much better and the bed was fine.

Occasionally it was a bit of a struggle to fold and my Dad had to get inside as it folded to get the cupboards to drop into the required position, this is difficult when you are not very agile, but I don't think that would be a problem for a youngster like you! My Mum and Dad were well into their 70's when they had theirs.

All in all they enjoyed it and our boys used to love going with them for the odd weekend away.

They also had a little porch awning on it which gave extra space for longer weekends.

Comment

Reading JayJay's post has just reminded me - yes they are very heavy!!

When we got our caravan we were amazed how light it was compared to my Mum and Dad's folder.

Comment

jayjay - thanks for the pics; that really is neat - a genuine baby caravan. Cool..!

We intend to look at some Carousels - the only drawback being the maker doesn't have dealers so, unless a second hand one turns up locally, we have to go to Norfolk to see one...! That's a fair old way from Devizes is you're just browsing.

Pauline - interesting info on our parent's Carousel (and thanks for calling me a youngster - I'll treasure that for sure...). I hadn't realised they were so heavy.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Doug

Comment

There's a little Kip van going for sale in Leek, Staffs, if you're interested! I've been talking to the lady who owns it, gleaning information! She's been really helpful with a few things I needed to know. It's in a lot better nick than mine as well (no damp). (Wish I'd waited!) But they come along so very rarely, you have to grab them quick! LOL!!

Another one has come up on Ebay, but it's got more damp than mine, wouldn't touch it knowing how hard it is to fix.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X