Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the breakaway cable

ooooo what a hard task!

Billy (The Wanderer) told me where to order one from, approx £3 plus postage. I noticed the other day when I went for a trial tow that the original one is well, totally knackered.

So this afternoon I've been sat on the gravel, trying very hard to get off the original cable and ring. Could have done with a man and a steel or bolt cutter! I managed to get the cable off the ring. The ring is solid, in spite of looking very rusty, I couldn't get it off, not nohow!

So my question is - I've attached the new one to the ring. Is this ok? I think it would pull on the brake cable in the case of a breakaway. And is this little pin thing IT to secure???? or should there be a stronger pin? I bent this one back on itself just using my own strength, which isn't much. There is a steel bolt running through.

some pics for your delight and perusal:::
    Attached Files

Forgot to show you what the old one was like... here you go, next to the new one!
    Attached Files

Comment

It does look about right, can't remember my own would have to check, but the bolt is what would pull the mechanism for the brakes to brake the caravan if it came loose the pin is just holding the bolt itself in place, ask at your local caravan shop they will be able to tell you.

actually if I remember right mine is a quick fit one which was just like a key ring attachement, this is mine http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/23264002 hope that helps
      A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kipsy View Post
        It does look about right, can't remember my own would have to check, but the bolt is what would pull the mechanism for the brakes to brake the caravan if it came loose the pin is just holding the bolt itself in place, ask at your local caravan shop they will be able to tell you.

actually if I remember right mine is a quick fit one which was just like a key ring attachement, this is mine http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/23264002 hope that helps
        Thanks for that, Kipsy! Wish I'd bought the quick fit one LOL! Mind you, I'd still have had to get that damned ring off, that's like a key ring too, only a different sort! It's the one you have to prise apart to get keys in... I only just managed to get the old cable out of it, it's too strong to prise apart!

Comment

You attach the quick fit to the ring, makes life much easier
          A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X