Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheels/spare wheel question?

Hi, the tyres fitted to my van are identical and state

165R 13C radial, they are practically new and are alloy.

The spare wheel says it's

135S R13 radial tread ok, but not alloy.

so will the spare wheel do as a spare? To get to the nearest garage even? Because there's a difference in width, even though they are the same radius. And two are alloy and the spare isn't.

Just wish I had a man sometimes.... No, forget I said that, just sick of trying at the moment!

To be honest haven't a clue, but if you ring up your local tyre man, he should be able to advise you.

Yes men are handy at times......but rather have the peace and quiet and they are expensive
    A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

spare wheel

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Hi, the tyres fitted to my van are identical and state

165R 13C radial, they are practically new and are alloy.

The spare wheel says it's

135S R13 radial tread ok, but not alloy.

so will the spare wheel do as a spare? To get to the nearest garage even? Because there's a difference in width, even though they are the same radius. And two are alloy and the spare isn't.

Just wish I had a man sometimes.... No, forget I said that, just sick of trying at the moment!
      Hi Jayjay, man here -hohoho
      yes its fine, many modern cars and small vans have a spare that is on a steel hub and usually narrower than the normal road wheel. They are quite safe but the AA say keep your speed below 60 untill you can swap it back for your normal wheel.Why do they do it?dont know. Now-do you know how to iron a shirt?
      hohohohoho
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi to you both!

Yep I know how to iron a shirt, don't do much ironing though! LOL!

Oh I am fed up!

Took the spare to the local tyre place, had another spare fitted (same width as the two that I'm using). Cost £40 for the tyre... I beat him down at that, from £48!! The one that was on, although the tread looked like it had never been used, it had NO DATE stamp. So I'm guessing it is the original spare from 1982! And it had disintegrated, so it's a good job that I did get it checked. If I had used it at some point it would have been imminent blow out. Photo below of that.

Got new one home. Went to put it back where the spare tyre should go... but because it's wider the bolt isn't long enough to put it back on. Grrrrrrr not a prob, I thought at first, will just go get a longer bolt. However, because the blasted thing is now a wider tyre, if I bolt it on, the flaming boot lid won't shut! ARRRGGGGGHHH!!!

Now I've got that out of my system (calm, calm, calm), what do I do now? Take it back and have it replaced with a smaller width one again?? I don't really want to be lugging it in and out of the caravan everywhere I go, it's really heavy! And look at the front of my van without it... pic below.

Can't you tell I have gone 14 days without a cigarette???

Just had a thought - would the boot shut if I let some of the air out of it??? Would it actually get smaller????

I need to lie down right now.

Comment

sorry Jayjay

Hi to you both!

Yep I know how to iron a shirt, don't do much ironing though! LOL!

Oh I am fed up!

Took the spare to the local tyre place, had another spare fitted (same width as the two that I'm using). Cost £40 for the tyre... I beat him down at that, from £48!! The one that was on, although the tread looked like it had never been used, it had NO DATE stamp. So I'm guessing it is the original spare from 1982! And it had disintegrated, so it's a good job that I did get it checked. If I had used it at some point it would have been imminent blow out. Photo below of that.

Got new one home. Went to put it back where the spare tyre should go... but because it's wider the bolt isn't long enough to put it back on. Grrrrrrr not a prob, I thought at first, will just go get a longer bolt. However, because the blasted thing is now a wider tyre, if I bolt it on, the flaming boot lid won't shut! ARRRGGGGGHHH!!!

Now I've got that out of my system (calm, calm, calm), what do I do now? Take it back and have it replaced with a smaller width one again?? I don't really want to be lugging it in and out of the caravan everywhere I go, it's really heavy! And look at the front of my van without it... pic below.

Can't you tell I have gone 14 days without a cigarette???

Just had a thought - would the boot shut if I let some of the air out of it??? Would it actually get smaller????

I need to lie down right now.
          you are going to have to swap it back, however they can exchange the tyre. you are also trying to stop smoking, so your nerves are bound to be frayed.
          try a small alcoholic nightcap and you will be better tomorrow. you are one amazing lady, be kind to yourself.
          Ian

Comment

jayjay

As I know to my cost recently when I had a puncture, the spare on my Mondeo is a "space saver" tyre i.e. narrower than the normal wheel on a steel hub. You are restricted to 80kmh/50mph and are recommended not to drive more than 50 miles on it(very difficult for me to go slow on a Motorway). However my sister-in-laws car doesn't even have a spare, but one of those repair kit thingies! There are some Motorhomes that don't have spares apparently, not an ideal situation if you are miles from anywhere.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Thanks for that, Ian!

But it's the same wheel rim!!! It's the same radius!!! Only the tyre width has changed. So, even given that it's wider (hence needing a longer bolt) it should fit exactly the same, shouldn't it?????????????????????????????? My logic says it should anyway.

I'm going to try letting some air out tomorrow and just see.

If I drink alcohol, I'll want a ciggie...

Been a bad day all round. I went into Congleton this morning for some things, then drove to Kidsgrove to go to Tesco's (and they didn't have what I wanted when I got there). Why did I drive to Kidsgrove, when there is a much larger Tesco in Congleton? Because I had forgotten they had built one there, although I was looking at it from the petrol station last week.

Methinks I am having a senior moment or two here.

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                jayjay

As I know to my cost recently when I had a puncture, the spare on my Mondeo is a "space saver" tyre i.e. narrower than the normal wheel on a steel hub. You are restricted to 80kmh/50mph and are recommended not to drive more than 50 miles on it(very difficult for me to go slow on a Motorway). However my sister-in-laws car doesn't even have a spare, but one of those repair kit thingies! There are some Motorhomes that don't have spares apparently, not an ideal situation if you are miles from anywhere.

Tony Anchorman
                Hi Tony, I was tempted to leave it, but apparently the caravan won't be balanced with different width tyres. On a car there are four to balance with, so one little one for a whiley wouldn't make a lot of difference, but on a caravan, you only have two. That's how it was explained to me anyway. My sister's car only has one of those temp tyres, I think it's all to save weight+petrol consumption. My Sis says it's absolute crap as a tyre!

As for just having a repair kit, try repairing the below pictured tyre with it. LOL!!

Comment

As for just having a repair kit, try repairing the below pictured tyre with it. LOL!!
                  Wow, that is a seriously sick tyre. I don't think I've ever seen anything so bad. The Hylo I bought in September had cracking tyre walls on the two rear's. They were replaced free of charge thank goodness.

You do seem to have more than your share of problems, but seem to be getting there gradually. Keep up the good work. Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkletoes View Post

You do seem to have more than your share of problems, but seem to be getting there gradually. Ann
                    Yep... I should not have bought this van. It wasn't even cheap and I've since spent around £600 more putting things right. I should have gone with my instinct, which said walk away.

I made that my New Year's resolution as every time I haven't gone with my instincts, I always wish I had.

I don't think I have any more probs than anyone else, I just need to ask more questions as a lone female, 'cos I just don't know the answers!

Comment

Ah-ha! Found the very stuff to get a steel longer bolt (should I need one, might be ok when deflated a bit) at the local hardware shop for £2-odd per metre. They can't cut it to size for me until next Monday though as they can't get to the cutter because of all the new stock that's in the way! LOL!!

So if I can deflate it enough to be able to lock the boot lid on the caravan, I shall be able to sort it! YAY!!

Comment

It's sussed, done and dusted!

Deflating didn't help. My son came around, he said I would probably have to go with a smaller spare wheel, however, the profile then would have been different and the caravan would list to one side all the way to the nearest garage. I also doubt the AA would actually fit it because of that, in the case that I needed to use it. the alternatives were, either put it in the car boot and lug it everywhere with me thatway, or put it in the caravan and lug it in and out everytime you go anywhere. Not an option that tyre is very heavy!

So I phoned the tyre shop where I bought it from - and how's this for after sales service....

Explained the problem. The chap said he needed to see it, where did I live, he'd be straight round to see what the problem was. (I only live about 5-10 mins drive away). I said my son had suggested using a block of wood (got the wood) to take it away from the caravan so that the boot would shut. Yes, def the way to go he said, I'll be back in a moment with washers, etc. Off he went back to the tyre place, returned with something that you use in a car (I think to fix spare wheel into a boot) but can't remember what it is now. Will scan as he left some spares!

Anyways, he just put the wood against the caravan front, put the wheel against that, fitted this nut thingy into the middle and screwed the whole thing back up again, with the same bolt, I didn't need a longer one as he just turned the wheel around...Doh!

I was disbelieving, but after he'd gone, I looked closely and believe me, it's going nowhere! And the boot lid shuts! Bonus!

Wished I'd called yesterday, it would have saved a lot of worrying overnight!

Delighted. Everything is now done. I can go to the ball, I mean Wolverley!

I do need to paint the wood bit white, I think, and get a cover for the tyre to keep it out of the weather a bit... later.
                        Last edited by jayjay; 16-04-2010, 16:55.

Comment

Yippee!!!!!

Deflating didn't help. My son came around, he said I would probably have to go with a smaller spare wheel, however, the profile then would have been different and the caravan would list to one side all the way to the nearest garage. I also doubt the AA would actually fit it because of that, in the case that I needed to use it. the alternatives were, either put it in the car boot and lug it everywhere with me thatway, or put it in the caravan and lug it in and out everytime you go anywhere. Not an option that tyre is very heavy!

So I phoned the tyre shop where I bought it from - and how's this for after sales service....

Explained the problem. The chap said he needed to see it, where did I live, he'd be straight round to see what the problem was. (I only live about 5-10 mins drive away). I said my son had suggested using a block of wood (got the wood) to take it away from the caravan so that the boot would shut. Yes, def the way to go he said, I'll be back in a moment with washers, etc. Off he went back to the tyre place, returned with something that you use in a car (I think to fix spare wheel into a boot) but can't remember what it is now. Will scan as he left some spares!

Anyways, he just put the wood against the caravan front, put the wheel against that, fitted this nut thingy into the middle and screwed the whole thing back up again, with the same bolt, I didn't need a longer one as he just turned the wheel around...Doh!

I was disbelieving, but after he'd gone, I looked closely and believe me, it's going nowhere! And the boot lid shuts! Bonus!

Wished I'd called yesterday, it would have saved a lot of worrying overnight!

Delighted. Everything is now done. I can go to the ball, I mean Wolverley!
                          Great news, I am soooo pleased for you. I am sure the roof problem can be solved in due course, in the meantime, roll on wolvers.

Ian

Comment

Not as pretty as when it fitted flush to the caravan, but a good solution, eh?!!

Comment

Yep... I should have gone with my instinct, which said walk away.

I made that my New Year's resolution as every time I haven't gone with my instincts, I always wish I had.

:
                              I know the feeling. I should have gone with my gut instinct 6 years ago and walked away instead of buying this house, but having 3 floors it was perfect to share with my Asperger son. It has proved the house from hell and the previous owner untruthful and a bodger ( although advertising himself as a 'Carpenter and Builder'

You just have to make the best of a poor decision and gradually put things right.

Ann

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X