• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baldybantam
    replied
    Berlingo Curtains

Hello Derek,

thank you very much for the photographs. Have pm'd you.

Thanks,
    Margaret

Leave a comment:

• Derek
    replied
    Hi Margaret

I have put some pics of the way we now fit our cutains in an album here

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=6

The curtains are gathered on cord and held up by clothes pegs, the clothes pegs are on shock cord, the type sold in camping shops for fibreglass tent poles. The shock cord is knotted and trapped behind the plastic fittings. All a bit of a bodge but it works.

The white pipe at the back is 15mm water pipe held with cable ties which go through holes that are in the plastic buttons that hold the head lining.

I didn't want to drill the body for fixings, all that I have done can be removed and the car put back to standard. If you do decide to drill for fixings make sure that the wiring is out of the way, it runs along the top of the doors.

Derek

Leave a comment:

• baldybantam
    replied
    Berlingo conversion

Originally posted by Derek View Post
    Hi Pablo

Pics are here Camping Car Construction
    Welcome to the forum, if you need any more info just ask.
    Hello Derek,

any chance of a photograph to show how you fixed the curtains, mainly interested in curtains only.

Thanks,
    Margaret

Leave a comment:

• donpgo
    replied
    You are a genius Derek! it's a very clever design. Thanks a lot with the dimensions, it'll save me a lot of time and the use of grey matter!

The mattress, I search for them, but they are 29.99 anyway they seem good value.

I'll keep you posted of the project

Cheers

Pablo

Leave a comment:

• Derek
    replied
    Originally posted by donpgo View Post

We are completely beginners in this so without being cheeky I have already some extra queries (I'm sure won't be the last! sorry) :
    1. which wood did you use for the bed base?
    2. how did you hold the curtains to have privacy?
    3. any other advise you can give me about things you have spotted after you build it that I'd avoid or change?
    Hi Pablo

The exterior grade plywood was 1220 x 607 x 9 mm, 3 sheets, two can be used as they are, you only need to cut the third.

The legs require one piece of 47 x 47 mm softwood.

The frame requires a bundle of 19 x 32 mm softwood, this is also used for battens to stiffen the ply.

The legs and frame are fixed together with M6 galvanized coachbolts. I mainly used 75mm but 64mm would have been better. Use galvanized washers under the nuts.

I started the frame with two legs at the back 228mm high (9" old money) and a crossbar 1206mm wide (47.5").
    Two legs at the front were cut 368mm high (14.5")

I drilled the holes in the legs with a pillar drill to get the holes running true, you can drill the batten using the hole in the leg as a guide with the frame clamped together.

When the four corner legs are joined the back sheet of ply can be fitted to hold the frame square.

The ply is held down to the frame with 25mm no. 8 galvanized screws, I would recommend putting cup washers under the screws, I didn't, it makes a better looking job.

When all the legs/supports, ply sheets and battens have been fixed the front and back parts of the platform can be separated and the aluminium joining strips fitted.

Loadsa coats of varnish but glue things together first.

We use dark blue curtains in our Berlingo, it looks as if you have darkened windows. We have them on rods that are sold for nets. The clips that hold them are on shock cord which is trapped behind the plastic bits.

I have set the platform at the height of the wheel arches, most other platforms I have seen are set higher, normally so the rear seats can be left in but folded. I prefer the extra headroom and extra storage.

Good luck with your project, if you need any more info ask away
    Last edited by Derek; 05-08-2010, 18:28.

Leave a comment:

• donpgo
    replied
    photos

Thanks a lot Derek and Graham I can now see 'the light' I meant the pictures. I'm going to start building it asap for our first trip in 4 weeks time or for our 2nd trip definitely.

We are completely beginners in this so without being cheeky I have already some extra queries (I'm sure won't be the last! sorry) :
    1. which wood did you use for the bed base?
    2. how did you hold the curtains to have privacy?
    3. any other advise you can give me about things you have spotted after you build it that I'd avoid or change?

Thanks again

Pablo

Leave a comment:

• Derek
    replied
    Hi Pablo

Pics are here Camping Car Construction
    Welcome to the forum, if you need any more info just ask.

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Hi donpgo

Welcome to the forum, if you have been having trouble viewing the pictures on this site it is probably because your account was still in moderation. We have had trouble with some people posting spam on the forum and we keep new members in moderation until we know they are not spammers.

Your account has been fully registered now and you have full access to the forum.

Any problems let me know.

Leave a comment:

• donpgo
    started a topic berlingo conversion

berlingo conversion

Hi Derek

Thanks for replying my enquiry. I did register in the website bit I'm still having problems to see the photos and/or details of it. It come up a message saying I don't have permission to see this page.

Can you suggest any other way to see them?

My username in this website is 'donpgo' (not sure how this works yet) or you can contact me through google/youtube.

Many thanks

Pablo

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
Working...
X