Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent, Tarp and a Car.....and some time....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a ceramic turbo heater NiedrigerIQ and it is very powerful. If it's to be used in a Bell tent I think it will be of use. Inside a room it can be too much

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
      Inside a room it can be too much
      oh, good...!

Thought about using it very sparingly, just to quickly take the chill out of the tent when coming back from a walk, and before going to bed, and in the mornings perhaps, having it unplugged during the night...

Above the ground sheet of the tent there will be the carpet, perhaps a space blanket underneath the matress, the little dog will arrive tomorrow already with his fleece jumper, his cot and and blanket, and we have all our skiing undergarments.....if needed at night...

Looking forward to it, especially being in the Dolomites again......mushrooms, chestnuts, speck, the new wine......and the walks...

http://www.camping-olympia.com/en/campsite-dolomites/
      Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 25-09-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

We have used an ordinary fan heater in a large tent on hookup on a camp site rccb protection with the grandchildren. We kept it from touching fabric and were careful with it. It seemed safe and certainly made things a bit warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post

Looking forward to it, especially being in the Dolomites again......mushrooms, chestnuts, speck, the new wine......and the walks...

http://www.camping-olympia.com/en/campsite-dolomites/
          We happily pick apples bilberries cherries plums blackberries wild strawberries, elderberries for colour wild garlic, but apart from shaggy inkcap (lawyers wig) which i recognise, i have been afraid of mushrooms. The swiss were out in force with their mushroom baskets. I need guidance.

Comment

I have grown up with them, every autumn we went into the woods....there was and is a naturmuseum next to where I grew up where you could get your gathered mushrooms checked by experts, they also did courses, just seen they still do.. https://www.inatura.at/suche/?id=225...q=pilzexperten

Got a little laminated booklet from them, which fits into a pocket...use it since ages, all edible ones in there and how to distinguish lookaliky poisonous ones....it's with all the walking maps of the area at my mothers in Austria, as we only need it there...

Its also hunting season, a cut of deer is easy to come by, locally, with Pfifferlinge (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle) and a bit of cream, rightly done, (if we have old bread I make Tirolerknoedel to go with it ( https://cdn.austria.info/media/17083...pg.3180772.jpg) ) a camp site dinner to die for.... :-)

needs a bit of forward planing, on our single stove....boiling dumplings first, mushroom and cream going on next, then meat on the grill, rest grilled meat in alu foil, cut dumplings in thick slices and fry, reheat mushrooms...serve....

Lots of other recipes in our heads and in my little Moleskin travelling note/cookbook....

As a PS

as wonderful tasting those wild strawberries are, and I got an eye for them, spot most of them while my wife walks past, I do not eat them unwashed...same with blue berries...(in the Alps)...

Fuchsbandwurm(Echinococcus multilocularis), its a kind of tapeworm...and nasty...destroys the liver...inkubation period up to 15 years....no warning signs....or cure....washing ones hands also important, as the worm eggs stick to them...up to a 30% of the foxes in the area are thought to have them....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echi...multilocularis

As for wild garlic, ramson, or Baerlauch as we call it in German, better be careful not to get some Lily-of-the-Valley leaves with it....does make a very very nice pesto, the Baerlauch......both plants often growing in the same places....well, where I grew up....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_of_the_valley

PPS

got one of these as a present, quite some time ago from an English friend....

https://www.carluccios.com/shop-onli...mushroom-knife

will be in one of the boxes....for this trip...some people say cutting is better than twisting...I also like the little brush to clean them on site....also features some little tweezers to pick off things one can not brush away....completely overpriced, in that shop, I have to say....but nice gift...
            Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 27-09-2017, 08:39 PM. Reason: Added links....

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
              The swiss were out in force with their mushroom baskets. I need guidance.
              This might be a good place to start

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...shroom-picking

Good article, I think...

Very much like the last sentence

"Mind you, some people will find a way to turn anything into a dangerous sport. In Italy, at least 18 people have died gathering mushrooms this year. They weren't poisoned; they fell down mountains. Some of them had gone picking in the dark."

Another sentence out of the above article

" Simply learn how to identify at least a few edible species and pick only them. You will also need to recognise any poisonous species with which they might be confused. "

thats what I do.....

http://foodforagingcourses.co.uk

http://www.wildfooduk.com
              Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 27-09-2017, 01:49 PM. Reason: Added links.....kind of a hobby of mine...foraging...

Comment

as wonderful tasting those wild strawberries are, and I got an eye for them, spot most of them while my wife walks past, I do not eat them unwashed...same with blue berries...(in the Alps)...

Fuchsbandwurm(Echinococcus multilocularis), its a kind of tapeworm...and nasty...destroys the liver...inkubation period up to 15 years....no warning signs....or cure....washing ones hands also important, as the worm eggs stick to them...up to a 30% of the foxes in the area are thought to have them....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echi...multilocularis

As for wild garlic, ramson, or Baerlauch as we call it in German, better be careful not to get some Lily-of-the-Valley leaves with it....does make a very very nice pesto, the Baerlauch......both plants often growing in the same places....well, where I grew up....

Well I will take that advice re wild strawberries and bilberries in the Alps. Wash them and your hands. I sort of feel bilberries in the pennines and Scotland might be ok probably less foxes, anyway i have been eating them with no ill effect so far all my life. The alps On the other hand I first visited 2 years ago. My wife got a Swiss tick last time. We check and get them out quickly after long experience in Scotland, where they only pass on Lymes disease, but in Europe a form of encephalitis too?

Comment

......where they only pass on Lymes disease, but in Europe a form of encephalitis too?

Encephalitis risk seems to be higher further east, if I can trust Wikipedia,

however, Lyme borreliosis my daughter got when she was about 6, by a tick during a holiday at her aunts in eastern Austria, 2 month after the holiday she stopped walking, could only crawl, I spent 2 weeks with her in hospital, fighting the hospital management to let me stay with her, did not leave her alone there...no way...till finally one of the chief doctors (it was at an University hospital) came back from his holiday and after having seen her thought it might be Lyme borreliosis, the aunt confirmed then that she had a tick and for a couple of days a red aerea on her skin.......antibiotica then did the trick but we got the information that it could come back anytime in the future...

one of the worst times of my life, not knowing what caused it and the thought she might never walk again...well, thats now more than 20 years ago...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

With Fuchsbandwurm(Echinococcus multilocularis) the thing is the long inkubation time......they might hatch inside ones body in a year or in 15 years or something inbetween.....might have some inside me without knowing.....

Anyway, gathering food in the wild is great, my Grandaunts introduced me to it when I have been a child, dandelion leaves, young stinging nettels, the fresh tips of the fir trees and so on......
                  Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 27-09-2017, 08:32 PM. Reason: Added link to Lyme borreliosis....

Comment

As an add on to #214/215

wild garlic, ramsom, Baerlauch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_ursinum

a quote from there

"The leaves of A. ursinum are easily mistaken for lily of the valley, sometimes also those of Veratrum viride, Colchicum autumnale and Arum maculatum. All four are poisonous. Grinding the leaves between the fingers and checking for a garlic-like smell can be helpful, but if the smell remains on the hands, one can easily mistake a subsequent poisonous plant for bear garlic.[3] When the leaves of A. ursinum and Arum maculatum first sprout, they look similar, but unfolded Arum maculatum leaves have irregular edges and many deep veins, while ramsons leaves are convex with a single main vein. The leaves of lily of the valley are paired, dull green and come from a single reddish-purple stem, while the leaves of A. ursinum emerge individually and are bright green."

but I am digressing....again...
                    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 28-09-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Got the Honeywell ceramic heater, was very pleased with it yesterday, on the low (~1100W) setting, I think it draws under 6A then which might be important on some sites, a nice stream of warm air came out....could hear the fan, but not too loud....on the high setting considerably more heat...very pleased...!

The wife came home and I wanted to demonstrate this stylish piece of kit....could not get it to work again...how embarrassing...

It's going back today, a replacement is under way from Amazon but will not reach us before we leave.... :-(

Comment

Nice find, amongst others..a few days ago...

IMG_20171008_004356.jpg

fairy tale land, mists and unicorns...1200 meters above sea level...

Last night my daughter cooked some Bambi (coming from her boyfriends father, a hunter) with red cabbage and chestnuts and 'Spaetzle' (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzle)....

Long drive back, with a wet cotton tent in the car...
                        Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 08-10-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Temperatures at night time down to 5°C, had some heavy rain, some first dustings of snow a couple of hundred meters up the mountains from the camp site, condensation being a bit of a problem in the tent, had to stand the matrasse up in the morning to dry...

The little dog loved it during the days, in the evenings he had to sit on one of us, 2 IKEA blankets wrapped around him.......which did not make things necessarily easier...

Hunting and gathering food, got an out of print game cookbook, from my daughters boyfriend, a used one he bought 2 of on Amazon, the one his mother uses, since dawn of time, being the wife of a hunter, pretty pleased, some obscure recipes in there, Crow Pie (Corvus c. corone) and filled Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius)....

For the crows the book states only young birds are worth the hassle, just after they left the nest...taste similar to pidgeon..apperently...doubt I will ever come across some....or cook some...

As comprehensive the book is, as you can see from the above, there is no mention of swan in there...I wonder why...

All in all, all the equipment worked well, very well, as the only tent on site we stood proudly out, between the solid plastic wall white shoe boxes on wheels with satellite dishes.... ;-)

Well, some might have pitied us, us, the poor neighbours..... :-) seen some 10m trucks with a Smart car in tow....

We had a great week...!
                          Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM. Reason: Spelling...

Comment

So, after the above, coming back to #186...

one end of the quick release has to be on the gas bottle side to shut off if the regulator is open or slightly open...

the regulator has a 1/4 screw on end...putting the quick release directly on that would mean it being the wrong way round...

ordered that little bit you can see lying there, thought that might solve the problem, but unfortunately it has a right thread...instead of a left...

I made now an arrangement of 2 quick releases, one of them blocked by a cable tie against accidential release (as it works the wrong way around).......it works, but not a100% happy with it...could be neater..

IMG_20170909_112023.jpg

would love to get some suggestions .......links to the hardware I would need would be very much appreciated...!!!
                            https://gasproducts.co.uk/caravan-ma...-coupling.html
                            this quick release coupling 8mm hose both ends would be a bit better than your back to back couplings

Comment

Thanks for that, just ordered one, last week I had a normal hose with Jubilee Clips both sides, (the double quick release was leaking gas...stupid idea I had there..).

For attaching the hose I had to take the gas bottle out, feed the hose with regulator through the hole in the backwall of the box and then spin the bottle to screw on the regulator.....and then put the gas bottle back into the box, close the lid and...

With a short quick release close to the regulator the bottle can stay in the box, I just screw the regulator on (turning it instead of turning the bottle), feed the hose through the back and clip it together...

I sort of feel bilberries in the pennines and Scotland might be ok probably less foxes, anyway i have been eating them with no ill effect so far all my life.
                              Found this

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/172/23/606.2

about that, so, yes in Scotland or the whole of GB one is still safe....in that respect.....probably.....news to me, that beavers are hosts as well...
                              Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I had wings left and right of the cooker, missed them last week...

There is a 2cm recess on the bottom of the new aluminium boxes, thought I fill that with something usefull.....

IMG_20171012_150021.jpg

They hook over the springloaded handles of the boxes, in whatever configuration, L shape left, L shape right, straight in a line...whatever...

IMG_20171012_151000.jpg

All thats left now is to make a permanently attached cloth shelve underneath the longer one....the one on the right, next to the cooker...need to uncover the sewing machine....
                                Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X