Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent, Tarp and a Car.....and some time....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How have you hinged the legs of the table? What stops them over opening? I know I need more work surface - just trying to think it through.

Comment

They slot into the springloaded handles of the boxes, the additional longer feet stops the little worksurface from tipping forwards or backwards, they also lock the boxes together....as they are working against that nose protruding through the handle if one tries to pull the boxes apart from each other....

IMG_20171012_153601.jpg

strong and stable.... :-)
      Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 12-10-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks, enjoyed reading that.

Comment

Now I understand why they are the shape they are.

Are those pop rivets you have used to fix the hinge? I have struggled to find screws small enough to go through thin ply.

Comment

Yes, rivets, in #227, in #225 you will see a piano hinge, screwed on, (well, its concealed behind the ply) screws too long, banged the protruding parts of the screws on the other side with the hammer.....quite crude, but effectiv.....that one can see, in the pic, I tend to use whatever is around......run out of rivets...

As I have a bit leftover stuff from the old boxes I might make another one of these thingys, free standing on one end....hooked onto a box on the other end in the same way...after all I have to fill that bottom recess in the third box.....
            Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 12-10-2017, 08:40 PM. Reason: Had to put one word into plural...

Comment

When using pop rivets where both sides of the rivets are seen I also use a hammer, sometimes, to flatten the 'inner' side of the rivet, to end up looking almost like the front side..., well, a bit banged up, but...one needs to have something similar to an anvil....
              Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

For thin wood You could also use 2mm nuts bolts and spreading washers instead of rivets if that would be better. Or pop rivets can be riveted through spreader washers too for greater strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                  .... pop rivets can be riveted through spreader washers too for greater strength.
                  absolutely, and then additionally flatten with the hammer...... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by KangooPete View Post
                    Now I understand why they are the shape they are.

They very much resemble a "pelmet clip", functionwise, as widely used in theatre...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...S1988mcI2Tk0cw

https://shop.flints.co.uk/Products/p...lip_Iron_Socke

thought you might like those links.... :-) to let imagination go wild....
                    Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-10-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Made now an end of terrace add on tablythingy....fixes to the box same way than the others, only the outer legs are different.......slightly, in how they are fixed...when deployed.....

Also needed something rustical...designwise...so the boards I cut out of one of the old boxes which I made out of ChampagneMagnumBoxes.....looked so much better than plywood....

IMG_20171013_154737.jpg
                      Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-10-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Those pelmet fittings look really useful ...

Comment

A complete L shaped, or not, fitted kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by KangooPete View Post
                            Those pelmet fittings look really useful ...
                            I have used them extensivly in Opera sets....you hook on to and have, for example a very sturdy shelve or a table the next minute.....lots of uses....developed by Alistair Flint himself, the owner of the shop linked above, one does not find those in other theatrical hardware shops.....in Germany or Austria....or anywhere, as far as I know....
                            Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 13-10-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                              A complete L shaped, or not, fitted kitchen.
                              Not sure if I am not going too far.....but all the additions fit into the bottom recesses of the boxes (so only filling up previously unused space) and there is no pressure to use them..

Anyway, cooking one of my(our) passions, even more so outdoors.....with whatever local ingredients.....

Comment

I was thinking of retrieving short lengths of unwin strip from my existing doblo. It came with the car to hold down wheelchairs when it was a taxi. I have used the strip to hold down the old cooks seat and the base of the table. In the new doblo I was thinking of cutting short lengths and using them and the right size of 10mm machine headed bolt to lock down the new settee, and cooks seat to floors and walls. However the pelmet hooks particularly the Flint button ones look easier to use. In each case the ply wood frame would be pushed, from a position 2cm into a doorway inboard into several of the the button hooks or unwin strip, until the door could be closed. Now the furniture cannot possibly move whilst travelling, but if we want to remove the camper furniture to use the camper as a van to say move a friends chest of drawers, the camper furniture comes out without use of tools. The button pelmet ones look a little stronger and less likely to damage other things. I cannot find a technical drawing to get dimensions though

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X