This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! Vauxhall Zafira - driveaway tent / awning

Hi further to my last thread regarding a berlingo....Complete change of plan. Now bought a 57 plate Zafira, but still want to use it as before. In short, family of 4, love camping but I have real problems sleeping in tents, so plan is for me to sleep in back of car, but to have a driveaway awning / tent with inner sleep tent, for the others, so I can still be part of the camping experience....
    SO in short does anyone know of a suitable awning / tent that will do the job. We do lots of folk music festivals so will be used to camp here as well as short hols...

Cant seem to find much info on internet....
    Height of zafira is 1.68m.
    Thanks to Graham for the welcome and suggestion of Movelite....

Can anyone tell me if the Movelite ones will fit the Zafira, or the Outdoor revolution Nomad 3 I am looking at.
    How do they affix to the the car, and do they affix to rear hatchback or side doors?, and is there a skirt to stop draughts around bottom of car?..
    Hope you can help...

Originally posted by boleyuk View Post
    Hi further to my last thread regarding a berlingo....Complete change of plan. Now bought a 57 plate Zafira, but still want to use it as before. In short, family of 4, love camping but I have real problems sleeping in tents, so plan is for me to sleep in back of car, but to have a driveaway awning / tent with inner sleep tent, for the others, so I can still be part of the camping experience....
    SO in short does anyone know of a suitable awning / tent that will do the job. We do lots of folk music festivals so will be used to camp here as well as short hols...

Cant seem to find much info on internet....
    Height of zafira is 1.68m.
    Thanks to Graham for the welcome and suggestion of Movelite....

Can anyone tell me if the Movelite ones will fit the Zafira, or the Outdoor revolution Nomad 3 I am looking at.
    How do they affix to the the car, and do they affix to rear hatchback or side doors?, and is there a skirt to stop draughts around bottom of car?..
    Hope you can help...
    Why not fit a tow hook and get a small trailer tent, you sleep off the ground,and they are storm proof and you can expand them like a couple of pram hoods,dead easy.you can also get extension awnings if you decide to go large.Most camping stores have second hand ones for sale,theyt are not expensive and your Zaffy wouldnt know it was pulling it.Its not like towing a caravan.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks very much.......just weighing up options at the mo and seeing whether I can get away without towing....
      I have considered trailer tent so thanks very much for advice....

Comment

Thanks very much.......just weighing up options at the mo and seeing whether I can get away without towing....
        I have considered trailer tent so thanks very much for advice....
        further thought,NONE of the drive away awnigs/tents will be suitable to sleep 3.
        I strongly recommend you visit a large camping store and look at trailers,collapsible caravans, large modern tents with modern tent beds and small towing trailers for storage or rooif boxes.
        None of the Movelite type tents were designed to fit a car,but you could probably strap the joining tunnel of the bigger ones over the car without the boot lid projecting too far into a tent.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hope you can help...
          Hi Boleyuk, I don't think that normal awnings will fit a Zafira very well. They don't normally have skirts, you can fiddle with a groundsheet to block the hole but we don't bother. We use a smaller tent called a Outhouse Handi Drive Away Awning / Ultility Tent with our Berlingo. The sleeve is held by guys that pass over the car. Most sites allow you to have a utility tent as well as the sleeping one so maybe you could use another tent for the rest of the family. We use the Handi for general living and sleep in the Berlingo

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B001TM5WZG
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

You could look at rooftents or caranex? Haven't tried either but they look interesting!!
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

The autohome maggiolina range even have add on awnings to give you even more sleeping space!!
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

We have this one
                link

Which will fit on the side or rear of our van, the guys just throw over the roof and tie down on the other side. Not a perfect vacuum seal by any means but adequate for us. There is an inner tent which can be hung up inside, not used that yet but guess it would sleep 2 and be pretty draught proof
                Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                  We have this one
                  link
                  Hmmm, looks just like a Movelite Square, I wonder who copied who?
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Riversway bought the original movelite design after movelite moved onto the square. We looked at one just after they brought it out to compare it with our original movelite. We thought that the movelite was better made. We find oure movelite XL much more convenient spacewise that the square

Comment

Mary from Leek

Guys thanks very much for the advice......Looking at a few now....
                      Theres a Khyam one similar to the movelite sq for £139 with the builtin sleeper....

Mary from Leek.........I didnt put my location down, but I could have knocked on your door; I am just over the other side of the Churnet Valley, less than 9 miles from you........spooky small world!!!

Comment

Guys thanks very much for the advice......Looking at a few now....
                        Theres a Khyam one similar to the movelite sq for £139 with the builtin sleeper....

Mary from Leek.........I didnt put my location down, but I could have knocked on your door; I am just over the other side of the Churnet Valley, less than 9 miles from you........spooky small world!!!
                        Hello neighbour! We have a Khyam tent somewhere, one with a complex of poles that is supposed to erect itself in 3 minutes while the occupants sit drinking wine - it has not worked for us yet. Moved on to the camping van, ready erected and ready to go!
                        Mary

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                          Riversway bought the original movelite design after movelite moved onto the square. We looked at one just after they brought it out to compare it with our original movelite. We thought that the movelite was better made. We find oure movelite XL much more convenient spacewise that the square
                          I agree, its not that huge. But just wanted somewhere to stow tables and chairs etc. Maybe sleep the dog or mark the pitch in our absence. And perhaps do grandchildren sleepovers but not until they are at least 21 years old!!

We had the option of roof beds when we bought our van but the dealer talked us out of them, said we would be forever having overnight guests. I must admit that the huge head locker we have instead is an absolute godsend. Where else could you store two memory foam mattresses, two sleeping bags, two duvets, 4 pillows, sheets etc with room to spare!
                          Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X