Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My NV 200 Mini camper

Hi,

Well after some good advise here and other forums, I have finally finished my project and had first trip away to Applecross. With two dogs and an awning I needed a folding two bar tray that carries up to 100kg, great for carrying awning wet gear and boots.

I started in March and finished in June working a couple hours at night and weekends, was not an easy task due to the curvature of the van and furniture was made before R&R bed arrived which I had to dismantle to fit the bed. Bed is 1020mm wide x 1830mm long, had to fit sliding rail to the passenger seat, again a right pain of a job.

But all in all well pleased with her and the pop top makes a huge difference for storage at night time and given what seems a lot more room, would I do it again? Yes but not an NV 200 as its a lot of work with not a straight line to work from.

Bodach
    Attached Files

That is a beautiful and well thought out conversion. You can tell just by looking at the pictures you have finished it to a very high professional standard. Well done. Hope you many happy years with your van.

Comment

What a lovely job! Congratulations - enjoy!
      Claire

Comment

Lovely job, well done.

Wish I was capable of fitting out my own van so I could get what I want instead of what Autosleeper, Romahome, Swift etc think I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          Lovely job, well done.

Wish I was capable of fitting out my own van so I could get what I want instead of what Autosleeper, Romahome, Swift etc think I need.
          This was my first attempt at fitting out a van, loads of information on the internet, give it a go well worth it. I just used a jig saw, router and set square, built it all on a heavy pasting board using clamps to hold while cutting, start off with template paper, then hard board, before even thinking of cutting the furniture board.

B.

Comment

Tow bar tray

It looks good - you've done well!

I am particularly interested in the tow bar tray you mentioned (and just about appears in your last photo). I need to carry two adults, two dogs and associated camping stuff but I also need to carry my partner's mobility scooter which will not squeeze, with any imagination, into my Toyota Liteace Noah.

Can you tell me a little more about it - the scooter weighs 89kg so that's not a problem.

Thank you (any more photos of the tray possible?) - Rosemary

Comment

Tow bar tray

Hi,

I was going to build one and was looking on the internet for the tow ball connection when I came across the folding trail basket on a game shooting web site.

Its called a decoy trail basket, folding lockable trail basket which mounts onto a standard tow ball.

Measurements are 100cm long x 50cm wide x 12cm deep max weight is 100kg.

It a welded construction and is substantial, only issue I found is that you need to really tighten the bolt on to the two bar or it could move a wee bit.
              Other than that well worth the money, powder coated £62.99 & galvanized £88.99.

Look on the following web site were I found it was on special offer original price was £199.99 & £249.99.

www.sportsmanguncentre.com

Hope the above helps you out.

B.

Comment

That looks fantastic Well done !

Being partway through a conversion of my own, and, being north of the Border (nr glasgow), can I ask where you bought your furniture board?

Thanks !
                Gerry

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...-to-me-Finally

Comment

Furniture Board

Originally posted by 48pop View Post
                  That looks fantastic Well done !

Being partway through a conversion of my own, and, being north of the Border (nr glasgow), can I ask where you bought your furniture board?

Thanks !
                  Gerry

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...-to-me-Finally
                  Gerry,

I could not find a supplier in the Highlands, I had to go down to Yorkshire to get the pop top done, I bought my furniture kit from Clearcut Conversions and sent them cutting sketches, they cut the sheets into rectangular slabs and sent the whole kit to the roof convertor, who stored it for me. The pallet with boards, kitchen fridge etc fitted into back of the van for the trip back up north.

So afraid I can't help you source the furniture board, there are companies in the Glasgow area who do full conversions on VW's maybe they would sell you some?

Cheers,

B.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodach View Post
                    Gerry,

I could not find a supplier in the Highlands, I had to go down to Yorkshire to get the pop top done, I bought my furniture kit from Clearcut Conversions and sent them cutting sketches, they cut the sheets into rectangular slabs and sent the whole kit to the roof convertor, who stored it for me. The pallet with boards, kitchen fridge etc fitted into back of the van for the trip back up north.

So afraid I can't help you source the furniture board, there are companies in the Glasgow area who do full conversions on VW's maybe they would sell you some?

Cheers,

B.
                    Yeah, mine went down to Drivelodge for the roof as well. I've bought some bits and bobs from Clearcut. I have a buddy with a joinery workshop, hes pointed me at Woyka in Glasgow. It not the Vohringer stuff, and its not the "full fat" stuff, somewhere in between. I only have a smallish pod so probably not a massive weight penalty !

You did a great job

Router for the door openings?

I'm installing a split charge and i'll run the 240v stuff, but the charger may come later

Comment

Originally posted by 48pop View Post
                      Yeah, mine went down to Drivelodge for the roof as well. I've bought some bits and bobs from Clearcut. I have a buddy with a joinery workshop, hes pointed me at Woyka in Glasgow. It not the Vohringer stuff, and its not the "full fat" stuff, somewhere in between. I only have a smallish pod so probably not a massive weight penalty !

You did a great job

Router for the door openings?

I'm installing a split charge and i'll run the 240v stuff, but the charger may come later
                      I only used the router for cutting the slots for the edge trimmings, rest by hand using a jig saw with the correct blade that cuts in the back stroke and does not chip the edge.

B.

Comment

Nice job!
                        I've been waiting for pics of yours to see how it would turn out as I knew it'd be different as you had different requirements. Really nice job!
                        (We used router for all curved finish cuts and doors etc, using templates)
                        The roof looks good, and you don't really miss out by not having rear glass! Its less useful than we expected
                        Your lining looks neater lol! And your cab roof lining is different - mine just stopped at the bulkhead
                        And you found after market alloys?

Well impressed!

PS - I'm uploading a video of mine, and you may be pleased to hear (or not) the electric bed lift is easy to add
                        Self build on new Nissan NV200 - detail

Comment

Originally posted by rosgrech View Post
                          It looks good - you've done well!

I am particularly interested in the tow bar tray you mentioned (and just about appears in your last photo). I need to carry two adults, two dogs and associated camping stuff but I also need to carry my partner's mobility scooter which will not squeeze, with any imagination, into my Toyota Liteace Noah.

Can you tell me a little more about it - the scooter weighs 89kg so that's not a problem.

Thank you (any more photos of the tray possible?) - Rosemary
                          Also google bak-rak.

You also need to consider the nose weight the tow bar can take. On old transit van it was 100kg, my towbar now is 50kg.

Comment

Originally posted by activecampers View Post
                            Nice job!
                            I've been waiting for pics of yours to see how it would turn out as I knew it'd be different as you had different requirements. Really nice job!
                            (We used router for all curved finish cuts and doors etc, using templates)
                            The roof looks good, and you don't really miss out by not having rear glass! Its less useful than we expected
                            Your lining looks neater lol! And your cab roof lining is different - mine just stopped at the bulkhead
                            And you found after market alloys?

Well impressed!

PS - I'm uploading a video of mine, and you may be pleased to hear (or not) the electric bed lift is easy to add
                            Hi and thanks for the nice reply, as we both know was a long slog but worth it in the end, so far have had three trips away and still a learning curve as were to pack what and find it again. One thing I have learned is no loose clothing on the top shelf of the wardrobe, it gets caught up in the tambour door and jams it, just as well I had rear access to it.

Interested in the electric bed lift, I can manage it but my partner really struggles with it. The van came with the alloys not my thing really but I have a spare set of wheels and might get snow tyres put on for the winter up here.

How did your budget go? I estimated 6k went over by £500 so well pleased.

B.

Comment

See my vid - the bed is £50 of parts, switch and actuator and making up a bracket - nothing that is beyond you! (bed is about 15min in)
                              My budget was a fractionally higher, but I also included tools, bike rack, and internal unique stuff like pans and the like in it, and also did solar, and expensive charger and battery monitor and diesel heater. Though I did save on the pop top. But pretty much within £500 of budget - not sure which way as there was a lot of £20 here, £40 there type thing to get the right bits in the end. But not too dissimilar.

The problem is insurance value, I may go for an agreed value policy next year as the price of bits excludes 3 months of full time effort which I'd not want to do again, so may get it valued and go for agreed value if at all possible.

Comment