X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Tinting

Hi,
    has anyone on the forum had any exsperience of having their car/ camper windows tinted that they'd like to share.
    Is it to dark inside with say the limo black ?
    What about the mirrored type.
    Is this legal it seems to let more light inside the vehicle
    thanks
    Peter Fowden
    Last edited by peterfowden; 02-02-2011, 18:27.

Peter,

Hi I have the side and rear windows one way mirror tinted on my C15.

We can see out but they can't see in. I did it myself and it cost about £8.

I think it's legal but if it isn't I'll keep it there anyway.

Frnt cab windows are untouched.

Comment

I tinted the side and rear windows in my Roo a few weeks ago using a roll of cheap dark smoke film from eBay costing about £7. It's far from the best quality - it's thin and tears easily but it does the job. Better quality solar films are available which I've used on the house windows.

Mine isn't mirrored and just looks black making the Roo look even more car-like from a distance which was my objective for wilding.

As far as I'm aware it is legal to tint side and rear windows but not the front windscreen or driver/passenger windows.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        As far as I'm aware it is legal to tint side and rear windows but not the front windscreen or driver/passenger windows.
        Yes that's what I was led to believe as well.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Tinted windows

Originally posted by karenw View Post
          I tinted the side and rear windows in my Roo a few weeks ago using a roll of cheap dark smoke film from eBay costing about £7. It's far from the best quality - it's thin and tears easily but it does the job. Better quality solar films are available which I've used on the house windows.

Mine isn't mirrored and just looks black making the Roo look even more car-like from a distance which was my objective for wilding.

Hi Karen,checkout the link below for the legalities of tinting car windows.

http://archive.carkeys.co.uk/feature..._else/2276.asp

Billy

Comment

Window Tinting

Thanks everyone for the info.
            I'm thinking of putting something on my Kangoo for more privacy but still haven't decided wether Dark tinting or Mirror type is best for us.

Peter Fowden

Comment

window tinting Warning

Just checked with my insurance company (co-op) and they said they don't allow aftermarket window tinting on their policies.
              It is classed as a vehicle modifaction if there was an accident they would probably refuse to pay out.
              So beware check and personally I would get it in writing that they accept tinting.
              I thought tinting was supposed to increase safety and security

Peter Fowden
              Last edited by peterfowden; 08-02-2011, 13:52. Reason: spelling

Comment

Karen,
                I'm undecided between light and dark smoke tints. I'm going to go with the bargain eBay route.
                Is the dark making it very dark in the back? I think my windows are slightly tinted as standard already..?

Did anyone use a proper tinting fitting kit with the rubber thing? Or just a credit card to get the bubbles out?

I intend to actually remove my rear side windows and do them on the dinning room table for ease. (It's onyl three torx screws to undo to get them off.)
                Enjoy!

Comment

I've since sold my Roo which had, I think, a 65% tint. It did block light but as it had side and rear windows, it wasn't dark inside and I could see out while anyone wanting to peer in, had to stand with their nose practically touching the window.

I've now tinted the rear window of my Kangoo van using a 35% tint which allows very good visibility out. It's easier to see in but, again, anyone nosey has to stand close to be able to see in.

Again, I used cheap film from eBay and this includes a simple cutting knife and squeegee. The film is thin, tears easily but it does the job. The key is to give both the film and the window a good soaking in light soapy water then it's easy to move the film around on the window and this also prevents the film folding over and sticking to itself.

It's definitely worth doing, in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks Karen
                    I think I'll go for the 35%
                    I don't remember the eBay listing saying anything about a squeedgee I'll have to have a look.
                    All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MattFreeman View Post
                      Thanks Karen
                      I think I'll go for the 35%
                      I don't remember the eBay listing saying anything about a squeedgee I'll have to have a look.
                      All the best.
                      This wasn't shown on the listing when I bought mine but this and the basic blade-knife were included. There was also a link to a video showing the best technique for applying the film.

I bought from the London Tint Company and the service was excellent.

Comment

Hi,
                        I tinted the windows and it went very well.
                        Although the back window has a bit of a curve to it which made it very difficult. The overall result is fine but on close inspection you can see imperfections around the rim of the rear. Side windows are flawless though!

How did you get on with your rear window?

Comment

Does this sort of thing make your vehicle any cooler, or does it just provide the privacy? Was wondering if this would make the back of my car cooler for the new doggie!

Comment

My rear window, which is also curved, is far from perfect and there are strips of air bubbles around the edges.

I applied mine primarily for privacy but it does have some thermal properties too by blocking some sunlight and heat.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X