X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derek's Berlingo

Most impressed Derek,

We bought a Drivelodge Joey, no way I could emulate your hadiwork Derek, I just had a look at your Berlingo on You Tube, even more impressed!!

Our Renault Kangoo similar in terms of space, KarenW has just sold her Roo, so it is good to see someone else with a camper for midgets. (I guess this is quite non p.c.) Oh dear

I too was most impressed by Derek's handiwork.

Although I've sold my Roo, I'm still a fan of campers for 'midgets' (the more PC-incorrect, the better!) and am currently adapting my van with modular units so that it's a conventional panel van when needed but for trips away, can be quickly fitted with a few cupboards to provide fully self-contained basic camping facilities.

View the work in progress at: http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/ikangooc...oocamping.html
    Last edited by karenw; 14-03-2011, 22:54.

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments, I haven't photographed the bodges

I'm also a fan of campers for 'midgets' or perhaps we should call them micro campers so as not to offend anyone

I am really impressed by Karens KanGooCampingVan, a little lateral thinking, a jigsaw, a lot of skill and you have a custom made camper, it's looking good.
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Once again, have to say well done (so far) Karen, everything looking good. Just thinking of all the cash we could have saved if only I had some DIY skills. (To be honest I think I could possibly do the work but it would probably be a five year project, and we want to get away from tents this year)!

Did an eleven mile walk in Dales fog today, a few motorhomes about in our area, but camping in this weather, a no light day today, not for us. Roll on Spring.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Can I just stress - the units etc in the 'i-Kangoo-Camping' were not designed for this and it's just coincidence that, tipped over, they happen to fit and form 'seats'. My husband is very skilled at woodwork and DIY and neither he nor I would want anyone reading this to think this is the standard of his work!!

The van adaptations are being kept deliberately basic and improvised. 80% of the time, the van will be used as a conventional panel van and for outings with the cupboards etc providing a useful facility. For camping trips, the cupboards will be temporarily fitted so that the van is completely versatile and multi-purpose.

All of the improvisations are my own, however!

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
            Thanks for the feedback.

Can I just stress - the units etc in the 'i-Kangoo-Camping' were not designed for this and it's just coincidence that, tipped over, they happen to fit and form 'seats'. My husband is very skilled at woodwork and DIY and neither he nor I would want anyone reading this to think this is the standard of his work!!

The van adaptations are being kept deliberately basic and improvised. 80% of the time, the van will be used as a conventional panel van and for outings with the cupboards etc providing a useful facility. For camping trips, the cupboards will be temporarily fitted so that the van is completely versatile and multi-purpose.

All of the improvisations are my own, however!
            Wheres the Frebreeze dispenser? 300Kg of Bunny poo is a bit wiffy and I assume you have shares in Airwick?
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              Wheres the Frebreeze dispenser? 300Kg of Bunny poo is a bit wiffy and I assume you have shares in Airwick?
              You'll have seen the roof vent and extractor fan!

You're right, the poo stinks, particularly when it's been stored for a week and I drive it to the local allotments with the windows open and my eyes streaming.

I'm getting into the habit of freecycling it as often as possible. Right now we have 280kg bagged up on the lawn awaiting collection..... http://furrymob.livejournal.com/409665.html

Comment

Hi Karen,

How goes? I see you have been busy with the tin-snips or should I say jigsaw!!! Braver than me!!!

I'll be taking a few more photos in a little while as I have almost finished fuzzy-felting the metal parts and I have almost finished "running-up" the curtains and seat covers. I can honestly say that I'm no machinist, but at least all the material edges have hems now, and are no longer leaving strands of material everywhere.

I ran out of “double-sided” glue in the end. I have had to order a few more cans to finish the job! I don’t think I have been using enough really, but you learn on the job!

I'm hoping to have a "fitting" with the cabinet maker to double check that the cupboards he has made will fit the frame before he applies the final lacquer. Can't wait.

I like the solar-powered extractor. Every clever.

David
                SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
                "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Hi Dave

Your van is looking good!

Yes, I have been busy and the van adaptation is now complete. It has insulation, side windows, opening roof vent, solar extractor fan, a wider bed than the Roo and slightly more living space. It lacks a leisure battery - I think I'm going to be restricted to carrying a 70aH leisure battery plus separate charger and having to use campsites/CLs with EHU (ie cable through window with RCD attached!) every few nights if I use it heavily.

It may be very basic but I'm very pleased with it. It's cost me next to nothing and everything can be removed so that it's remained a panel van with full functionality as a conventional van. I'm hoping to try it out this week and next prior to my 'big trip' up to the Scottish Highlands next month.

Take a peek: http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/ikangoocamping/index.html

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X