As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Citroen Berlingo stealth Micro Camper :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Citroen Berlingo stealth Micro Camper :)

Well this is my campervan ...

After 7 years of VW camper ownership I knew exactly what I wanted - a nice wide bed, loads of storage, and a good way of blocking out daylight. Also, I didn't want to attract attention any more.

It was also important that the whole lot could be removed without too much fuss - this doesn't fulfil the DVLA requirements for a motorhome, so I wanted the option to turn it back into a car when necessary.

Thank you to Derek for partially inspiring me in this project ...

The Internal frame:

This can all be removed by undoing 4 screws - so it's not permanent and the seats can go back in if need be. Almost all done with 12mm plywood.

Piano hinge lids:

These are shelf brackets that hinge outwards to extend the bed - doing this means I get 180cm of sleeping space and I can still slide the seats back and forth:

I'm not sure how it works on this forum yet, but I'll post the rest of my photos in this thread once it's been approved.

All looking good Messy, your first posts have to be approved to deter spammers but you're posts will appear immediately now we can see you aren't here to spam the forum.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thank you for that. I shall continue ...

Paint job and Cushions added:

I used several coats of ebony wood stain, but may as well to have used black emulsion - I actually liked the raw wood finish but thought it would attract too much attention when parked up.

The cushions were one of the more expensive purchases - I'm no good with a sewing machine so got them made up for me from a place called cutfoam.co.uk.

There is 180cm of sleeping space here; I'm quite short but someone over 6ft could put pillows into the gap behind the front seats.

Folding side pockets for storage:

With a bit of rearrangement I can turn part of the bed into a backrest:

Which can then provide a nice little safe storage box:

Or take out the parcel shelf and I have a rear facing seat area lined with laminate flooring.

Last edited by Messy; 12-04-2011, 20:47.

Comment

I even got me an awning:

Middle storage compartment:

Front storage area:

And so to bed:

Comment

These are the curtains:

Shaped from black cloth and doubled up for darkness they velcro into the window recesses. The velcro is permanent, held on with some really strong stuff called "gorilla glue" that's as strong as, well a gorilla!

Still a bit of finishing off to do, but I'm certainly getting there.

Comment

Definately getting there!!!! What a good and discrete conversion, those blackout curtains look really excellent, well done... and please keep progress photos coming!

Andyvan

Comment

Very nice indeed.

Well done.

Dave
              SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
              "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Lovely job
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Great, very impressed, I like the blackout curtains as well, a very neat looking job
                  Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Thank you

One of my main criteria for doing this was to have the bed platform well below the window line with plenty of room to sit up/kneel and climb through the door space ... which meant that conversions such as the Amdro Jump were out because they go above the seats. I also didn't want to simply throw a mattress in the back 'cos I'd then have no room to store anything.

I have tentative plans to fit a leisure battery at some point, and if I ever figure a way of making a permanent water supply I'll add that too - maybe a hose/tap thing or one of those tailgate shower fittings ... we shall see.

I certainly won't be modifying anything at the expense of the nice wide bed - after 7 years of sleeping in a 3/4 width VW camper bed, I know full well how uncomfortable a narrow sleeping area can be!
                    Last edited by Messy; 13-04-2011, 00:12.

Comment

That's a really neat, discreet camper you've made!

The sleeping area and those excellent curtains really set it off.

The reverse seating and concealed storage area are good use of available space too.

I do like the Berlingo/Kangoo series vehicles, they seem very versatile, with clever storage features and that excellent roof glazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                        I do like the Berlingo/Kangoo series vehicles, they seem very versatile, with clever storage features and that excellent roof glazing.
                        Mine has got the older roll back sunroof - and it's an amazing feeling you're laying in the back, staring at the stars through the roof.

I did consider updating to a more modern vehicle - the new Berlingos look the business - but alas the fully opening roof is no longer an option and glass just doesn't seem quite the same as raw naked sky.

Comment

That's a really impressive conversion!

Comment

A very tidy adaptation making excellent use of the available space.

Having just done an 'adaptation' of a Kangoo van, I was especially interested in your project. Mine has only a 600mm wide bed but it does have sink, loo etc.

Re missing a sunroof, I fitted a Fiamma 280mm roof vent between the roof struts (probably similar on a Berlingo) so I can also look up at the stars, albeit through a much smaller cavity!

Mine's at http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/ikangoocamping

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                              A very tidy adaptation making excellent use of the available space.

Having just done an 'adaptation' of a Kangoo van, I was especially interested in your project. Mine has only a 600mm wide bed but it does have sink, loo etc.

Re missing a sunroof, I fitted a Fiamma 280mm roof vent between the roof struts (probably similar on a Berlingo) so I can also look up at the stars, albeit through a much smaller cavity!

Mine's at http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/ikangoocamping
                              I like it

It's very difficult when working in such a small space, to get everything you really want to provide that "home from home" experience - you compromised on bed space, I compromised on facilities.

I'm tempted, at some point, to get another small van (not an MPV + slightly bigger) and attempt something properly fitted out so I can re-register it properly .... my biggest issue there is lack of working space (living in a flat).

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X