Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do most campervan conversions use gas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get back to the question kangoopete do you have a carbon monoxide meter? I use an alcohol stove for lightweight short camping trips in good ventilation but i think it is very noxious when burning because it is not under pressure so does not mix with air fast enough.. Lpg burnt properly is safe with a bit of ventilation as my CO meter shows. Lpg is also cheaper and takes up less room for the same heating ability. I also use it for heating so it is a no brainer for me. If a CO test shows it is safe alcohol will be good enough. Co monitors are not expensive.

Comment

I use it mostly for convienience but also have a strong nostalgic liking for the slight smell of gas.

It has meant holidays to me for as long as I remember.

I even fitted gas lighting to a couple of my vans.

Comment

Given a choice, I'd opt to be gas-free and am already working towards this for the next vehicle adaptation, particularly for the fridge. It seems so inefficient to be generating heat to.... cool. Personally I favour the compressor coolboxes as an alternative.

Comment

Yes I do have a carbon monoxide detector. To be honest, I would have one with any stove that burns with a flame. The problem I have come across is where to fix it in the car. The distances they suggest with the detector do not exist in a car. Any advice?

I guess smells do influence us too although I hadn't thought about that. We had a lot of happy sailing holidays when I was a child so I guess I just remember the smell. Like canvas tents. I know that modern light weight ones may be more practical, but I just love the smell of a cotton tent and the sound of rain on it ...

Comment

Love our canvas bell tent...and, as you say, the sound of rain on it.....only with that it makes sence to have it up in the first place...

Comment

Alcohol stoves make sense in a small camper with only one or two rings - but in a motorhome where folk want 3 or 4 rings, a grill and often an oven as well, would it be practical? Plus as someone mentioned, the gas can also be used to run the fridge and the heating, so overall it's a more practical solution.

Comment

Originally posted by KangooPete View Post
                Yes I do have a carbon monoxide detector. To be honest, I would have one with any stove that burns with a flame. The problem I have come across is where to fix it in the car. The distances they suggest with the detector do not exist in a car. Any advice?
                I realy looked into this for some definitive answer when I fitted mine.

As might be expected there were conflicting answers, each eaqualy strongly claimed. The argument seems to mostly be about it needing to be high or not. I was particurlay concerned about height having a pop top.

The science, (sorry for swearing ) suggests that it's not a simple matter of CO being lighter or denser than air. It is close enough to air for it to settle out and pool at any level, especialy if there is no air flow. This level will vary with the temperature, humidity, pressure, movement, etc of the air.

The most important and to me most logical advice I found was to be careful to avoid any likely pockets of still air. Another important point I think is not to put it in the direct path of any hot air rising from an appliance.

I wouldn't deem to tell anyone where to fit theirs but in the end and based on what I had read, I stopped worrying quite so much. I thought that in the small space of my van, and in an open aspect it will detect any significant rise. I have tested it in various situations and it does. There is almost always some ventilation and airflow in my van and of course always when any flame is burning.

Just my own unqualified opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                  Given a choice, I'd opt to be gas-free and am already working towards this for the next vehicle adaptation, particularly for the fridge. It seems so inefficient to be generating heat to.... cool. Personally I favour the compressor coolboxes as an alternative.
                  Karen, The Vitrifrigo compressor fridge is about the same size as the Dometic / Electrolux gas electric and new about a £100 more expensive. A 100w Solar Panel and 100 Amp Hour leisure battery added to power produced by vehicle when moving provides enough power to run the fridge plus LED lights etc. That is the set-up on some sailboats with no engine power.
                  http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/vitrifrigo/index.htm
                  The Waeco is slightly bigger

Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

As with kernow john that vitrfrigo 50 litre fridge with solar and lb of those sizes works well for us. I will move the lot to my next camper although thinking of lithium batteries to save weight and space. Using gas to make coolth is very inefficient as karen says. Vitrifrigo fridges are amazingly efficient.
                    yes my camper is too small for the spacing of the co monitor ours is on the wall on the opposite side of the van to the hob 250mm below ceiling. I think that gets a good average for a small place at nose level.
                    Last edited by Derekoak; 30-11-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back Dapple.

Origo do actually make ovens as well, but I am not trying to convince people that alcohol is better than gas. I just wanted to discuss the alternatives following on from the thread about the cost of habitation service costs. Sometimes I think people just assume that gas what everyone uses, so I thought it would be helpful for those starting out on conversions to realise that there are other options. I happen to like my Origo stove but I know it is not for everyone.

Those fridges look good too.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                        At one NEC motorhome show there was an all electric campervan (not the engine, that was diesel). It was some years ago and the manufacturers said something to the effect of "Everyone (haha) uses camp sites and they all have electricity so we think gas is on the way out". I never saw any more of that make.
                        To answer the question, not many people have heard of alcohol stoves. Me for one. I'll have to look that Origo stove. Also I think that Mr and Mrs Mopp are not credited with enough intelligence to safely handle flammable liquids. That brings into question - will insurance companies knowingly cover such a vehicle equipped with an alcohol stove? There's another EU quandary - how is it that France can sell bottles of fizzing and flammable and acidic liquids in their supermarkets but because of EU Health and Safety Regulations, we are not? The answer is that we abide by every law the EU sees fit to throw at us, but the French quite rightly say "Non, Merci".
                        Hi all,

It was Wheelhome who fitted an electric induction hob (I think). They claimed it would give half an hour of heat before the battery needed recharging but they also claimed to have a fast charge system for the leisure battery. I believe it died a death, but it was sort of a good idea I suppose. It was in the Skurry. http://www.wheelhome.info/skurry

There are also 12v microwaves (the Wavebox, I think one was called) but folk on here have had so so experiences with them, I think. http://www.whispaire.co.uk/microwave1.html which is new to me and here is the wavebox. http://power-hunt.com/wavebox.php

There is also a combined diesel cooker/heater still available on the market at the moment, the Wallas XC duo. Again, a clever idea, but the cost is enourmous, and isn't comparable to a two ring gas cooker with grill and seperate gas heating. It is £1600! Find it here https://www.campervanheating.co.uk

I am a fan of Trangia alcahol stoves. I collect them and source rare models for people on request. You can burn meths in them, but that is smelly and doesn't burn particularly cleanly. The actual bio-ethanol fuel that is available from Go Outdoors and suchlike is much better and also if you add a teaspoon of water every time you fill the stove, it cut's down on the sooting up of pans enourmously. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-bi...uel-1l-p347362 Also Trangia stoves have a simmer ring that makes the flame adjustable so that you can have low, medium or high heat. Trangias are one of the few camping stoves available designed to work better in windy conditions, provided you use the proper windshield and base. But for use regularly in a van? I'm not sure.

Alcahol stoves, as I think has been mentioned, are often used in yachts, where gas can be considered a liability. My friend has a wonderfully gimbled Dometic Origo alcohol stove.

But I do love a Trangia, me!

I suppose the main reason that they are not used in vans is that fuel for your gas cooker can be piped in from an outside locker, whereas one physically has to fill an alcohol stove.

Hope this has thrown a little light (or heat.....) on the thread.

Panda
                        Last edited by Pandabloke; 02-12-2017, 10:27 PM.
                        These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Karen, The Vitrifrigo compressor fridge is about the same size as the Dometic / Electrolux gas electric and new about a £100 more expensive. A 100w Solar Panel and 100 Amp Hour leisure battery added to power produced by vehicle when moving provides enough power to run the fridge plus LED lights etc. That is the set-up on some sailboats with no engine power.
                          http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/vitrifrigo/index.htm
                          The Waeco is slightly bigger

Jon
                          Sorry, I've only just spotted this post.

I looked at the fridge option but decided on a compressor CDF coolbox for flexibility and portability and have been testing one recently. Nothing will actually be *fitted* into my next vehicle which will be a car carrying camping equipment.

I currently have a 125Ah leisure battery (6 years old and not fully retaining its charge) and this is running the Waeco CDF coolbox at 2°C for about 48 hours when driving <50 miles per day. In warmer temperatures, I anticipate the CDF box would have to work a lot harder so a 100W solar panel would give this a boost.

Looking at the specs of the CDF boxes vs compressor fridges, the draw from the CDF seems to be about a third of that drawn by the fridge version.

My husband has a Waeco fridge plus two leisure batteries (guessing about 100Ah each) plus a 60W solar panel and these will power his fridge for about 2-3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post

There are also 12v microwaves (the Wavebox, I think one was called) but folk on here have had so so experiences with them, I think. http://www.whispaire.co.uk/microwave1.html which is new to me and here is the wavebox. http://power-hunt.com/wavebox.php

Panda
                            I have a Wavebox. I used it in my Kangoo panel van and Kangoo Roo campervan solely for heating my Snugglesafe heatpads for sub-zero wildcamping in an unheated, uninsulated van.

I no longer need it and if anyone is interested I had been planning to sell it although it's currently packed away somewhere since moving house...

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post

Nothing will actually be *fitted* into my next vehicle which will be a car carrying camping equipment.
                              I was going to ask you what you were planning. If I remember correctly you started with various Kangoo cars/vans and then moved onto something larger. Are you reverting to something smaller or looking at a larger MPV but not actually 'converting' it? We will need to replace our large 7 seater soon and had originally thought we would try to convert one, but now I am coming round to the idea of keeping it as a MPV and fitting a camping pod? Perhaps with more ventilation (rooflight?) but not sure if that will cause problems with insurance?

Comment

It will probably be a Kangoo/Berlingo car carrying various camping equipment but nothing actually fitted although I would like a leisure battery and split charger which will be essential for 3-week off-grid trips. I would also need additional ventilation and have been considering options - it looks as though it will have to be a sunroof.

I started with a Seat Marbella (Spanish version of Fiat Panda) followed by a Kangoo panel van with some 'adaptations', then the Kangoo Roo, back to the panel van and, currently, my Romahome Hylo which was just a short-term purchase but for various reasons I've been lucky to hold on to for 6 years.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X