This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate Car Camper??

I'm thinking of buying an estate car to convert into a camper, and just wondered if anyone has seen one/ built one themselves?
    I'm not so keen on a van or larger car - for a start I'd like to have a kayak on the roof and I'm not the tallest person!
    Do you think it's possible to convert an estate while still keeping its use as a car (5 seats etc..)??

Cheers, Hatti

Hi Hatti

Welcome to the forum, we had a chap on our old forum who had done this, you can see the thread here:

http://smallmotorhome.proboards.com/...ad=2603&page=1
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hey, thanks for that! It's good to know there are people considering it. No pictures with good ideas though it's tough to know how I can get a bed in while keeping the back seats available. And how to get a cooker etc in there. I like the idea of these boxes that just sit in the boot but probably would need to be easily removed. Maybe I'm out of my depth haha..

Comment

Hi Hattie - have you looked at the other posts in this section. There are plenty of pictures in here, although they are different cars, it might give you some ideas!

Back seats are easily removed whilst camping, then put back in when it's being a car, but I can't see how you could do it and keep the back seats as well. Unless you are going to sleep on the back seat and use an awning for a living area!

Welcome to the forum!
        Last edited by jayjay; 04-05-2011, 09:34.

Comment

Hi Hattie
          A few years ago we bought an 05 reg Astra estate 1.7 Diesel. We chose this because of its high fuel efficiency combined with a very large storage area in the back with the rear seats down.

We did consider the potential for camping in it at the time but never got around to it. Looking back, it would have been a squeeze for two people.

If it would be just you I certainly could envisage making a removable box-like along one side for storage / rudimentary cooking and eating off, whilst getting a good sized sleeping area next to it.

Andrew

Comment

Estate car camper

Hello this is my first post although I've been reading this site for ages!!

I sleep in my car (Mazda 5) and use a Quechua base seconds as an awning. The seats fold flat to form a good sized bed base and I use 3 Ikea cot mattresses on top (easier to fold away and store)

I've found loads of brilliant ideas on here so decided to take the plunge and join in!!!

Comment

Eee by gum Yorkshire Lass, welcome to the forum. Glad you have taken the plunge and joined us, lots of friendly advice from lovely people.

Happy camping.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks Graham. I actually live nearer to your location these days!! I'm afraid I ask lots of daft questions, but this site seems really friendly so I might even get a few daft replies!

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshire lass View Post
                  Hello this is my first post although I've been reading this site for ages!!

I sleep in my car (Mazda 5) and use a Quechua base seconds as an awning. The seats fold flat to form a good sized bed base and I use 3 Ikea cot mattresses on top (easier to fold away and store)

I've found loads of brilliant ideas on here so decided to take the plunge and join in!!!
                  Hi Yorkshire lass
                  I'm quite a newby as well!! Lots of lovely friendly people on this site.
                  Maria

Comment

Thinking about it more, I wonder if you could make a swing out sink/cooker unit like the camplet tt's have. It would swing out into the open or into your awning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDShDD8nXE

Comment

There's not a lot of headroom for camping in an estate car.

Another option would be to choose a taller car such as a Kangoo or Berlingo and then invest in something like the Kari-Teck system. This would enable you to load your kayak from the side instead of stretching to try and lift it onto the roof. It's much easier!

Comment

Yes headroom is limited, but better in Mazda 5 than estate car. Its a 7 seater, which I need, as it has to be as flexible as possible - me, husband, four sons and two great danes (not in it all at the same time, I might add!!!)

The seats fold away really flat. Can't explain - need to find some photos! Down-side of this is that there isn't any storage space under the bed - unlike the lovely conversions I've seen on here. I do have a roof box for "stuff" and the quechua makes a brilliant awning.

Any ideas how I can attach it - maybe to the roof bars? I had wondered about a tarp and extra guys.

Comment

Hope this photo works - just an example of the flat area
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Maria.

There's no stopping me now - I'm hooked!!

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshire lass View Post
                              Thanks Graham. I actually live nearer to your location these days!! I'm afraid I ask lots of daft questions, but this site seems really friendly so I might even get a few daft replies!
                              Don't worry about asking daft questions, we have all been newbies at one time, so ask away, there is usually someone who will have an answer, it might even be a sensible one.
                              Graham

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X