As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another "tent" on four wheels

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another "tent" on four wheels

I have been lurking around for a while, using the forum as a source of both inspiration and information, before embarking on my own project, so now is the time to repay my "debt" and share my own experiences.
    It has been done many times before, but there is sufficient difference in my Kangoo conversions, that it might be of interest to some?
    Mine is a panel van with sliding side door. Unlike majority of Kangoo type conversions that are temporary, allowing the car to be returned to pure car, mine is permanent. It also doesn't try to squeeze two people in - it is only to be used by one person.

Starting with an empty shell:

First two frames dry fitted in:

The bed area will be to the right:

All the frames in (still only dry fitted at this stage):

As it is my first post, before I continue with more photos I believe it needs to be vetted by admin, so this is it for now...

Chris

ps if you click on the photos you will be able to see larger size ones.

Hi Chris

You have been duly vetted (I hope it didn't hurt too much ). Welcome to the forum, your van looks good, looking forward to seeing more pics.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Looks like I have been approved - thanks, so here it goes.
      Next picture show a "kit of parts" that I ended up with, before glueing it into the van:

And now (using PU40 from http://www.everbuild.co.uk/ ) frames glued in:

In this one you can see (to the right) access to one of the storage areas.

And this will be rear storage access under the bed:

To be continued ...

Chris

Comment

O Boy, I envy you your skills Chris,it would have saved me a fortune in years gone by if I could have built a van for my family the way you are doing.
        Welcome to the forum family,I look forward to seeing you and your van sometime.
        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 15-05-2011, 07:45.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Looking good Chris, I will be following your build with great interest
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum! That looks a lovely framework - did you buy it like that as a kit, or have you designed it yourself? I can already imagine the finished result and can't wait to see more pics!

Comment

Hello.

Can't wait to see the end result. It is very interesting watching the progress of a conversion.
              Jessie

Comment

Hi Chris, conversion looks good, well done, look forward to more pics and to the end result
                Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                'Live without regrets'

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and kind words guys.
                  No update pictures today - I was working like mad trying to get it to at stage where it is at least half habitable...
                  I was meant to be leaving tonight for a week in Wales, but it looks like it will be another day before I can use mattress and sleeping bag in it.
                  So the next proper progress report (with pictures) will probably be after I am back from Wales.
                  In the meantime:
                  Ian STOCKLEY - yes, I am hoping (if this project goes OK) to have a go at converting slightly larger motorhome with all the facilities. This one is just a "tin tent" for my personal use.
                  jayjay - no I didn't buy it as a kit, I have designed and made it myself. It was easier to make kit of bits, dry fit it, before permanently glueing it in.

Chris

Comment

It looks very promising, cant wait to see the fluffy bits (upholstery, curtains, cushions - you know all the IMPORTANT things)
                    Mary

Comment

Hi Chris,

I see you have taken a lot of effort cutting the frame to go over the crinkle floor! Looks great. I glued/screwed a wood floor over mine, and started with that as a base. Are you going to insulate the floor level?

Dave
                      SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
                      "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Just a quick update before I depart:

Spent all day today glueing things

and more bits of plywood...

end result

and from another angle...

and if you are not sick of it, another view

That will have to do for now ...

Vanderella - I am negotiating with SWMBO about adding soft feminine touches

steamydave - yes I have seen you report and blog. Very nice indeed! I have taken care about "crinkle floor" because I have tendency to be anal about things :so happy:, but also because I might insulate the floor later.

I am off - report next week

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bambuko View Post
                          Vanderella - I am negotiating with SWMBO about adding soft feminine touches

Chris
                          Jolly good - expert advice!
                          It seems to be coming together very quickly. Have you got a deadline in mind?
                          Mary

Comment

Hi Chris,

The crinkles are great - I wouldn't have had the patience!

Storage where the cut-outs are with doors?

Dave
                            SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
                            "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Hi guys,
                              Just got back from Wales - the conversion was a total success, and much admired by other stealth campers.
                              The only thing I am going to have to do rather quickly is to insulate the walls and roof - waking up with condensation on all un-insulated metal surfaces wasn't fun (and that despite Flettner extractor on the roof).

Vanderella - yes, my deadline was 15th of May. I have failed miserably, missing in the process best day of the week on Monday. Weather got cold and wet after that - good camping test, but not what I was hoping for on my first outing
                              On the other hand, I only started the conversion Monday before, so I haven't done too badly (especially if you consider that I only had Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to do the job).

steamydave - I have an option of adding doors, but I am not sure that I actually need them? So far, everything stows nicely as is, without any doors.

I'll take few days off from the van (other projects) and will update, with photos later.

Chris

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X