No announcement yet.

van or mpv for van life first timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swamps, I think from your posts the van (whatever it is) will be your sole vehicle as mine is - in which case the insurance is a bit higher - Insurance Companies never loose.
    Also as it is your first vehicle you will have no NCD.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Sorry i have not been about much, has been hectic this end !

thank you guys so much for all your input.

I have gone full circle and am now back looking at a C15 nu venture

i think i have found one in my price range with 80k on the clock but has rust on the bulk head , and im not to sure if it is to much rust and if it is fixable !!!

Comment

Autosleepers hold their price very well, even 20+ year old ones still fetch silly prices. If you are working to a budget I would forget the Mitsubishi - I have an Outlander, only a 2.4 engine, but the insurance and VED are very expensive - VED is £305 p.a. and my insurance is twice as much as my VW campervan (VED £245).

The Nu Venture C15 isn't built like a Romahome, it's more like a caravan build, sandwich panels rather than one piece fibreglass, and water ingress in the panels can be a problem.

Comment

Hello Swamps,

Some areas to consider which might help you steer towards your optimum vehicle.
          Size
          I have not seen how many you want your van to accommodate. Apologies if I have missed that in one of your posts but I will assume you would have mentioned kids so either a solo traveller or yourself plus partner.
          I think almost any van or MPV could work for a solo traveller but a very small van can be annoying for a couple. The two of us tired of transforming four travelling seats into two berths. A solo traveller could have a fixed berth along one side and whatever facilities you require along the other.
          With a limited budget there can still be some bargains to find. A high mileage newer van with more emission controls could turn out to be a bargain but if repairs should be required a common rail diesel with ECU is likely to be much more expensive to fix than one with a mechanical pump and injectors.
          All of the older vans will have some rust. I do not have definite dates for when improved corrosion protection came in but read elsewhere that Renault Master and Trafic vans had this from about 2004. Vauxhall and Nissan equivalents are basically the same vans with different badges.
          The Sevel vans, built in a joint venture between PSA and Fiat had improved protection shortly after: Ducato, Boxer, Relay. Scudo, Expert, Dispatch. Also more recently the Toyota Proace.
          Having said that the 1999 Expert van I had was surprisingly rust free. The rust around the rising roof hinges was a result of that modification and I think you would be unlucky to find rust in the roof of an Expert etc without that or a similar intervention. The only other place I found to be affected by rust was the metalwork behind the rear wheelarch which is “shotblasted” by grit and water thrown up by the rear wheels.
          Ford, LDV and Mercedes Benz vehicles seem to have lagged behind although I often see these vans with rusty bodywork still going about their daily business. I do recall reading that the Vito W639 was "partly" galvanised up to middle of 2005 and from 2006 model year were fully galvanised.
          I believe that the bodywork of vans which are frequently washed, e.g. those used as taxis and minibuses and have their minor scratches etc attended to last better. Those vehicles may also have more frequent inspections of their running gear.
          Stealth or Motor Caravan?
          Advantages of having a van reclassified as a Motor Caravan are: lower (in general) insurance premiums; speed limits as cars rather than vans; Class 4 MoT although not an issue with small camper vans.
          To have your V5C (log book) changed you must comply with the requirements set out here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-a-diy-caravan
          If you do not meet the requirements including the requirement to look like a motor caravan DVLA will not amend your log book. However there are no written rules about how a motor caravan should look! If you are not bothered either way there are brokers who can arrange cover for vans that are part converted or don’t quite meet the regs. Just be sure to inform the insurer exactly what modifications you have made.
          Choices
          Can’t help you with this as the van must suit your personal needs and preferences and be in good condition. I believe all vans have their pros and cons and in your price band should be bought on condition rather than make or model. I was quite certain that I would never have a Vivaro due to the problems with injectors etc which were brought to the attention of the public in general by the BBC Watchdog programme, I now have a Trafic – same van different badges but with the 2011 phase 3 improvements which I hope will make it reliable. Most important is that it is the right size. Other vans we considered big enough for two but small enough to park outside our house were the Peugeot Expert L2H2, The Mercedes Vito and the SWB Transit Tourneo.

Practical Motorhome magazine have been running a series of short reviews of older motorhomes, the current issue looks at some based on the Fiat Ducato (1981–93) /Citroen C25/Peugeot J5/Talbot Express (1982-94) vans built in the Sevel joint venture factory in Italy. We looked at one some years ago, it had everything we needed, went very well but was too big for our parking space and rather bigger than I wanted to drive.

Practical Motorhome ran a series called “Motorcaravanning for less than £2000” in which a 1977 Auto-Sleeper Leyland Sherpa was bought for £825 and made fit for use by their writer’s daughter and grandson:
          https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/a...-2000-part-one

The LDV vans were reportedly reliable, in some years the most reliable vans in the UK. Seems to be a Marmite van some people hated them and certainly not as nice to drive as later designs.
          If value for money is a high priority would something like this be of interest? Low miles and the MoT record looks ok but a petrol version.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263778553...ue3&rmvSB=true

There are others with diesel engines, the 1.9L Peugeot and the 2.4L Ford engines.. The Pilot 200 is the smaller version, the Convoy 400 is bigger. Many ex school or similar use minibuses are about. This one is newer, turbo diesel but more miles. MoT record mixed:
          https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehi...=newsnow.co.uk

Finally, we did also look at a New Venture C15 camper van of size and layout similar to a Romahome. It was in poor condition and needed a lot of work to make useable. As Caz said the build quality was poor compared to a Romahome.

Comment

Great advice and a

lot to think about , eh Swamps!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X