This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outhouse Handi Drive Away Awning

hi ive seen a few of these about and notice derek has one but cant seem to find out if they can only be fitted to the side of a kango/berlingo/partner/combo or can they be fitted to the rear of the van?
    the van i have ( vauxhall combo ) doesnt have a side door and the outdoor revolution Outhouse Handi Drive Away Awning is the one i want..
    be grateful for any advice
    cheers jason

The picture on here shows it on the side of a van.

OUTHOUSE HANDI

But I am sure they should be able to fit on the back entrance of a van, in fact I think Brianthesnail had one at our recent meet which he fit on the back of his Romahome. Brian might be along soon to confirm.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Yep - I've got one of these. It may well work OK on the rear of a small van. I tried it on my 7'6" tall Romahome R20. The bit that pulls over onto the van reaches the top of the R20 with no problem but the tent part is lower so the angle between the top of the van and tent is sufficiently steep that the Romahome door fouls on it. We can open and close the door but it rubs against the fabric, lifting it to fit the door as it opens.

On a lower van it ought work OK. Should the fabric be a bit low a tailgate opening on the van ought just lift it up so no abrasion and it appears to be long enough to rest on the van roof and still provide room for a tailgate to open.

All is not lost on our R20 - we managed to get one of the Quick Tent's that Ant sells and put that up as an awning, the Outhouse then sits next to that and the back door of the Quick Tent goes up over the top of the Outhouse, making an awning (Quick Tent) with an annex (Outhouse) and we didn't even need planning permission

Brian

Comment

We use one on our demountable, which is tall. We can get it over the top of the van and it doesn't get in the way of the door, but we tend to put the tunnel bit up with a couple of long poles which is even better. It is also easier to drive away from.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post

All is not lost on our R20 - we managed to get one of the Quick Tent's that Ant sells and put that up as an awning, the Outhouse then sits next to that and the back door of the Quick Tent goes up over the top of the Outhouse, making an awning (Quick Tent) with an annex (Outhouse) and we didn't even need planning permission

Brian

Brian's rearend at Moreton, plus John reading a book and Annie's legs!
          Mary

Comment

I usually put my Outhouse Handi on the back...the Doblo is 2.1m (6'11'-ish) and the tunnel fits OK. There's a drop to the tent which can collect water and the rear doors won't open fully due to the tunnel width but not a problem.
            Attached Files
            Neil

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
              Yep - I've got one of these. It may well work OK on the rear of a small van. I tried it on my 7'6" tall Romahome R20. The bit that pulls over onto the van reaches the top of the R20 with no problem but the tent part is lower so the angle between the top of the van and tent is sufficiently steep that the Romahome door fouls on it. We can open and close the door but it rubs against the fabric, lifting it to fit the door as it opens.

On a lower van it ought work OK. Should the fabric be a bit low a tailgate opening on the van ought just lift it up so no abrasion and it appears to be long enough to rest on the van roof and still provide room for a tailgate to open.

Brian

my combo rear doors open out and not the single one that opens up if that makes it easy?
              cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                I usually put my Outhouse Handi on the back...the Doblo is 2.1m (6'11'-ish) and the tunnel fits OK. There's a drop to the tent which can collect water and the rear doors won't open fully due to the tunnel width but not a problem.
                my vauxhall combo is nowhere near the height of your doblo is that a good or bad thing when fitting the outhouse handi?

where is the best place to purchase the outhouse handi and does it come with a groundsheet ? if not can they be bought for this type of awning?
                thanks jason

Comment

Originally posted by welshjason View Post
                  my vauxhall combo is nowhere near the height of your doblo is that a good or bad thing when fitting the outhouse handi?

where is the best place to purchase the outhouse handi and does it come with a groundsheet ? if not can they be bought for this type of awning?
                  thanks jason

I would think that with your van being less high that would be a good thing, more clearance for the doors.

You can buy them in the forum accessories store via Amazon you won't pay any more but the forum will get a small commission which helps with our running costs.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B001TM5WZG

They do come complete with a groundsheet.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I have the movelite small awning, which is very similar. However, in three years I've yet to use the groundsheet! If the ground is dryish and grass, it's much easier not to use a groundsheet. Any spills go stright into the ground (handy when you knock the dog's water bowl over!) and crumbs and stuff simply go into the grass for the birds to pick up when you leave.

Comment

With less height I imagine there'll be more slack on the tunnel and the doors should open further. Mind you, too low and the tunnel might be too loose.

The Outdoor Revolution web site page for the Handi says (under specification) that height is 1.8 - 2.4 meters. I think this refers to the tunnel height. I believe the standard Doblo (and the van version) is about 1.8m high, so if your Combo is similar you should be OK.
                      Neil

Comment

I looked at this exact awning as a possible extension for my Kangoo van and although, unhelpfully, I didn't take measurements, my feeling was that it would fit over the rear opening doors (mine has doors - not a tailgate).

I didn't buy one because I seldom use campsites, but it's an option for the future if my husband accompanies me on a proposed trip to France.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          I would think that with your van being less high that would be a good thing, more clearance for the doors.

You can buy them in the forum accessories store via Amazon you won't pay any more but the forum will get a small commission which helps with our running costs.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B001TM5WZG

They do come complete with a groundsheet.
                          hi graham thanks for the link.. do you know if they come in diferent colours or just the one colour?
                          thanks jason

Comment

hi graham thanks for the link.. do you know if they come in diferent colours or just the one colour?
                            thanks jason
                            As far as I know just that colour in the picture.
                            Graham

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                              With less height I imagine there'll be more slack on the tunnel and the doors should open further. Mind you, too low and the tunnel might be too loose.

The Outdoor Revolution web site page for the Handi says (under specification) that height is 1.8 - 2.4 meters. I think this refers to the tunnel height. I believe the standard Doblo (and the van version) is about 1.8m high, so if your Combo is similar you should be OK.

my combo is 72 inches in height which i think is around 1.8m so hoping the outdoor revolution will be ok for the back of it

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X