any alhambra builds on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any alhambra builds on here?

I am starting to plan for a european trip for 2 of us next april and i've started looking into what vehicle i want as a base. We are both 6ft tall so space is a requirement. I had originally planned on and actually went to purchase a transit connect LWB high roof van to deck out but when i went to insure it i was shocked at how much more they wanted over my cars. I quickly backed out of the deal and have rest my goals to involve an MPV vehicle. Ive had my eyes on an alhambra for a daily drive for a couple years now but could never justify it. If i can make it work for a month long trip into europe and daily it as well that would be a win/win for me.
    I am just looking for examples of what others have done in the past. I am fairly worried about the lack of headroom i will have once i fit a low bed but i think it will be manageable. I will most likely be removing all the rear seats to give me as much room as possible to store stuff and maybe put a roof rack cargo carrier on it as well. We will be blending in tent camping on our trip so i dont think i will need running water and such but an emergency toilet would be nice. I am planning on a small solar system to help boondock.
    My other high ranking option is toyota previa but i have only just started looking into those. I am trying to keep my vehicle budget to around 3000 with maybe 500 for the build.

I believe the Alhambra is very similar to the VW Sharan and Ford Galaxy. There's quite a few conversions on them out there. This might give you some inspiration: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/gsageorg...ambra/?lp=true

Comment

As Caz said look at the sister vehicles although IIRC the Galaxy diverged from the VAG products a few years ago.

An older Galaxy conversion was made by Wheel Home as the Millennium Galaxy:
      http://www.wheelhome.info/portfolio
      Only a photo on their site now but I do recall there was a review on the web which you might still find.

Their Panache on a Scudo is a similar conversion of a newer people carrier. You can find similar conversions discussed on this forum. The Fiat Doblo is becoming popular although the larger versions are too new to fit your budget. NV200 is also popular with self build and commercial converters.

Have a look at the Bumble Campers site - bumblecampers.com for ideas and also their stock list:
      https://www.bumblecampers.com/stocklist.html
      Just looked and see they have a couple of Previas for sale.

Height is the problem with MPVs and some small vans are not a lot longer but just enough taller to make them a bit more comfortable in use. If you decide to investigate that direction there are insurance policies that cover a van whilst you convert it to a camper van. Ones that come to mind offer 6 or 12 months to make the conversion. Be aware that 6 months soon pass if you hit snags that slow progress.

Have a look at some of the converters that support this site they mainly feature smaller vans that may be of interest to you if only as a source of inspiration.

Comment

Hi Kit, I think you start out having to make choices - either a fitted camper and probably the insurance you did not like, or a removable "boot jump" type removable affair that will not affect your insurance.
        However a month away is a long time, you know your characters, how will you cope if there is bad weather etc?
        Another option you may wish to consider, depending on your fitness level etc., How about a roof-top tent - a sort of cross between campervan and tent camping.
        One supplier is https://venturarooftents.com/ There are others, And I think there is at least one other roof camper on this forum.
        Jon
        Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
          Hi Kit, I think you start out having to make choices - either a fitted camper and probably the insurance you did not like, or a removable "boot jump" type removable affair that will not affect your insurance.
          However a month away is a long time, you know your characters, how will you cope if there is bad weather etc?
          Another option you may wish to consider, depending on your fitness level etc., How about a roof-top tent - a sort of cross between campervan and tent camping.
          One supplier is https://venturarooftents.com/ There are others, And I think there is at least one other roof camper on this forum.
          Jon
          i haven't given up hope on a fitted camper like a transit but it seems unlikely. The insurance premium is just too much for me to deal with. It will almost certainly be a removable set up which given the proper base vehicle could be nice.

I am not worried about the month away. Truth be told we will mostly be camping in a tent rather than sleeping in the camper but i do want the option if the weather goes bad or we just want to be inside for a change. There will also be hotel stays as well mixed in at certain resorts so we can reset ourselves.

Ive looked into roof tents and think they are great however the other half may have problems with them. She isnt great at heights. i should try to look at one in person sometime to really get a feel for them.

Comment

Kit352 Did you talk to Adrian Flux on the subject of insurance - they did me well when I converted vans, and they understand the weirder set-ups like demountables. The one advantage is if you are doing the fitting out - they have no time limits to complete the work. When you phone them mention this forum because that gives you a discount as well!
            Also if you need recovery Flux Recovery is in my experience very good.
            No I do not get a commission from AF
            Jon
            Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Hi Kit, I have an Alhambra with a jump box style set up in the back. If I can figure out how I’ll upload some pics for you

Comment

Take a look at the dimensions of the high top (long wheelbase) Transit Connect "MPV", current and earlier versions.

I've previously run 2 of them as campers and found them surprisingly roomy.

Easy to fit a side awning (sliding doors both sides) or a rear awning over the barn doors.

I found them to be very versatile for single-vehicle use.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X